Saw chain damascus

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Has anyone on here made any Damascus type material out of old saw chains? I have seen on google images a few and it looks very interesting

Cheers

Chris

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Nope, but I have a pile waiting to weld up when I get chance. I've done bike chain a couple of times, once to a finished knife and the other is still sat as a dirty lump.

There are some amazing chainsaw blades on BB.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Yeah I've welded them up a few times, but never really been happy enough to finish them into knives. They are so full of holes and weird shaped bits that they invite crud to get caught when welding up :( That said, I did get a nice little blade made from one that Mad Dave gave me at the moot last year. Darn thing warped in the HT and I haven't had the heart to finish since then :rolleyes:

They do hold a reasonable edge, but with the inclusion issues you either need to weld a fair amount of chain together to give you a chance at getting all of the voids closed up (ie massive reduction in stock under the hammer), or you laminate with a known steel in the core. That's how I plan to do it next time I get around to doing some. Another way is to do a cannister weld, where you fill a metal box with the chain and then swarf or powdered steel to fill the voids when you weld up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE