Saw blade guard? Any suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
I'm wanting to pack my bow saw into a kit bag and I would like some sort of guard on the blade.
I do a lot of leather work and was considering making a wet formed leather contraption but I think it's overkill.

Any suggestions for things I might have lying around the workshop that could serve as a blade guard? I was thinking an old bike inner tube wrapped around and around but the rubber's not thick enough, it would just get pierced.

What do you all do?
All the best.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
On of those "poster hangers" athena used to sell (showing my age now). Just slides over the teeth and can be cut to length

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Do you have a stationery store near by?

If you do have a look for the loose leaf clips you can get for binding pages together.

I'll look for a link

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Some blades will coil up inside a billy can, the ones I have are too stiff for that though. My Duluth saw folds down so the blade is enclosed but for a spare I use the paper slides the chaps have already mentioned.

Biker

Hi, when I made my take down saw I cut a slot in the cross bar and set the blade and a spare on in there, like so: Hope the image is clear enough.

Bowsaw01.jpg

TimD

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2011
Coulsdon
Quick and easy way to do it is cable trunking.
It's cheap and easy and if Scouts burn/hide/lose it, easy enough to replace.

Tim D

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
Thanks everyone. Lots of great ideas.

That looks great Biker.
Nice work.
Do you have any pictures of it built up?

I'm making one myself, a friend has given me some offcuts of Oak from his workshop.
It won't be ready for my trip tomorrow though so I'm taking my normal commercial metal saw.

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
buy a silky big boy 2000 it folds into the handle is quick n easy to deploy is as fast or faster than a bow saw and more versitile with no frame to get in the way
ATB
Duncan
It's also £50 to £60 with spare blades costing about half of that. Bow saws work great for me. Call me old fashioned. I'm looking forward to finishing my Oak buck saw and using that.
I think a silky is good if you need it in your back pocket half way up a tree working commercially. I however have the time to relax and build up a wooden saw that I have made myself and relax into cutting the wood.
Additionally with a bow saw I can use two hands either side of the blade.

Both have merits but I know what suits me.
Thanks for the suggestion though :)

forestwalker

My old Swedish army bowsaw has a wooden guard. A strip cut from a tounge-and-grove board (i.e. the grove edge), a couple of pieces of cord, and Robert is your fathers brother. If you have the tools you could deepen the grove a bit, but it should work as is.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
When I did a lot of saw refurbing, the first thing I did after completing the clean up, set, sharpen, tune etc, was to make a blade guard from a piece of roofing lath or similar aprox 2x1. Just cut to the same length as the blade, then use the saw to cut basically a kerf-width groove down the centre about a 1/2 inch depth. Then I used pieces of inner tubing (cut like heavy duty rubber bands) to hold the guard onto the blade. It doesnt hurt to have a trace of oil/wax in the groove to deter rust.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE