Sass smock thoughts

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well you may have seen the post about Sass smocks being reduced from £125 to £99, well just received mine and pretty pleased with it. Service was great and very quick great company to deal with. I would do a mini review but as BCUK so a ventile jacket may not be very
appropriate.
Dave
Ps Was a little confused as what is the definition of smock? I thought, a garment that had no main zip and the jacket was put on over the head>>!?!?!?!
Well they have a main zip which is a bonus!!:lurk: :lurk:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its modeled on the SAS issue smock. I have the ventile version (was a limited run that they don't do any more I believe). Best money I ever spent on clothing - bar none. Absolutely superb service, product and price.

Red

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
So far I agree Red nice jacket. No they dont do the sas smock in ventile if you are talking about the sass one. I think Paul said they first did them from a run of ventile they picked up as a one off. Be interesting to see if the Oxford weave is all but ventile bar the name!?!?
Will compare the two next weekend.....
Great price and as said great service ordered monday here thursday which incl some mods!!!
Dave

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep it was the SASS one I had in ventile - they only did three originally and I got one- spacemonkey got one and a pair of matching strides in ventile too - wish I had now :(. They did another run of a few more (think they bought one more roll) but have knocked it on the head now - shame. I thought of buying another when they did the second run - wish I had now. Be interested to hear how you get on witht he other stuff

Red

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Yeah, i got one of the second and final Ventile run. Timinwales got one and i think Silverback got a smock and some matching trew's. Come to think of it, that is probably why they ran out of material! :rolleyes: (Dave's on Holiday at the moment so i think i may get away with that!). Cracking pieces of equipment and match my DPM kitkarry smock!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Will let you know how I get on guys and will compare it against Jason's West winds next weekend when out playing...be interested to see it compared to the ventile sas you guys have. Actually Jason was toying with the idea of selling his W.W and getting one I'm sure he will compare it with Dave's ventile. Anyway waffle over I'm chuffed.
Dave

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Ordered mine last week. According to Paul (IIRC), the material they are using comes from somwhere in Eastern Europe and also some comes from the States. Apparently when the material specs arrived, Paul compared them to Ventile's and they "matched". So the smocks we will get from SASS should be Ventile in all but name, at least that is my assumption.

Ventile Description:

The fabrics are 100% cotton, utilising the finest, long staple fibres, only found in the top 2% of the world's crop. After gentle spinning and doubling, the yarn is woven into a very dense Oxford weave, using up to 30% more yarn than conventional woven fabrics.

SASS Kit Smock Description:

FINEST QUALITY DENSE OXFORD WEAVE CLOTH, WOVEN FROM SPECIALLY SELECTED 100% COTTON LONG STAPLE FIBRES, AND USING ABOUT 30% MORE YARN THAN CONVENTIONAL WOVEN FABRICS

So perhaps all that is missing is the "Ventile" logo?

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Nice one:cool:
I doubt you will be disappointed I certainly am not.

In fact I've got a bit of a notion for the sand coloured one now:rolleyes: :D

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
The SAS and Para smocks have always been with a main zip for as long as I have known them (20+ years). The Para smock used to have a flap to go between your legs to stop it flapping round your head whe you jumped out of a plane, don't know if that's the same on the SAS version (I couldn't afford one at the time :) ).

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Best clobber I ever bought,I got meself a Ventile Sass smock with a few extras and a matching pair of Speznatz strides,well impressed with them!

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Used my DPM ones from when first available (seems like decades ago! (probably was come to that))! They outlasted all my issue kit and a few other suits from other manufacturers (bar my rip-stop Arktis suit). The dog's doodahs as thae say! Then again I had loads of SASS and ARKTIS kit from the early days till I retired, it was all really well designed and lasted ages!

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
The smartarse answer would be "it depends what size you order". :D

There's more sizing info in this thread: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32470 Including the size I am and the size I ordered.

Going on the one I ordered, I'd say the sizes were fairly generous. My advice would be to order one your size, or one smaller. I wouldn't order larger unless you're planning on wearing body armour and a down jacket underneath it.

They're a great company to deal with - ring up and have a chat about sizes.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
They are very generous Im a 43" chest and Ive got a Kit Carry Smock which is a size 97 which is perfectly big enough to get my winter layers under too. Depends how loose fitting you want it as scanker says.
Im waiting for my Ventile one to turn up now :rolleyes:

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Yep sizing quite big on the SASS smocks. If you go down that route Paul will ask you your size and recommend a size have your chest measurement to hand.Mine is big but it will be worn with lots of layers in winter but it is fine without layers as there is a bit of adjustment via the cords.
dave

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
You cant go wrong with these lads, my old customised kit carry from my recce days lasted me well over twelve years. It did look a bit 'weathered' in the end, but thats style anyway, and to be fair I did give it a hammering!! :eek: Anyone buying one will be more than happy now, and down the line...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE