Samsung B2700 rugged phone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I'm an iPhone user; in fact, I'm something of a fan of Apple's gadgets generally. Whilst the iPhone is is an excellent piece of kit, no-one would pretend that it's suitable for sustained outdoor use.

As well as for use outdoors, I also wanted an additional phone as a backup; in order to have a 'disposable' number for use in circumstances when I don't want to reveal my primary number (online purchases etc.); and to take with me when I go to sandy places later this year.

I bought a Samsung B2700 from 3. I got mine from a retail shop, which was slightly cheaper than online - around £120. It's supposedly exclusive to 3, but an open to all networks version is available from Expansys.

The phone feels reassuringly solid in the hand, with a grippy rubberised texture, and comes with a carabiner clip which could be used to hang it on a belt or daysack strap. It has all the standard features you'd expect from a modern mobile phone. The Bluetooth includes A2DP, and it has an FM radio and music player. The camera is 2 megapixel, which is perfectly adequate for me - I always have a digital camera with me anyway. The phone will accept mini-SD cards up to 8GB.

I decided not to bore everyone with pictures - it's a standard-looking candy-bar format phone in grey. This might sound boring, but it also means that it's unlikely to attract unwelcome interest from hoods.

Apart from the water and dust-resistant casing, the phone also has some other features that appealed to me.

- LED torch, with a dedicated button on the side; it looks to be about the same power as a Photon, and is actually quite useful.

- Compass. I tested it against my Suunto Core, and it gives the same readings. Not something I'd be using as a primary navigation tool, but certainly useful in an emergency or for quick reference.

- Pedometer. I haven't tested this yet, but it looks reasonably useful.

- Altimeter. Again, not tested yet, but seems similar to the Suunto Core.

- Long battery life. It's claimed that the battery can last 14 days on standby.

Overall, this is a useful phone for bushcraft, if only to use in an emergency, though it would make a perfectly good EDC phone.

Sadly, although the advertising blurb suggests this phone would be useful for cyclists, it doesn't have a feature that warns lycra-clad cretins that they are blocking the road and are about to be destroyed by an angry man in a 4x4....:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
it doesn't have a feature that warns lycra-clad cretins that they are blocking the road and are about to be destroyed by an angry man in a 4x4

I know that's meant to be funny, but really, that does make me angry :nono:

I would strongly resist ANY deviced that warned them - how can I raise my "flat muppet" score then :cool:

Nice review btw!

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I too am an iphone user and think they are SUPERB!! however when outdoors i have a £10 samsung wrapped in a ziplock bag and switched off! JOB DONE! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE