Salt horn

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've done most of the work on the salthorn I started yesterday

SaltHorn02.jpg

and for a first go I'm pretty pleased with it.

I just need to seal a few gaps with pine resin and make a cap for the pourer, and rig something so i don't lose the said cap.

At the mo' the horn is just scraped and quite dull looking, should I polish it with something?

ATB

Tom

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
That looks really good, I've got some horn carvings that I picked up on holiday this year they were polished and look really nice i would reccommend that you polish it though what with I know not.

Can I asked where you got the horn from, as I might have have a go if I can get hold of a set as a set of matching salt 'n' pepper horns would be nice to have.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! Its a lot like working good quality modelling plastic.

I got the horn from a flea market for £1.50, it had been a holder for some silk flowers

SaltHorn01.jpg

Put I think I'll get 3 usable bits from it.

The wide end I hope to cut down plug at both ends and turn it into a barrel sort of thing to hold some peppercorns. If tha needs any of the copper tacks let us know!

ATB

Tom

PS how much powdered charcoal to mix with the resin, and how best to mix a small amout for fillling?

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I Finished the salthorn just now, less maybe a staple in the wooden end and a chain to the cap.

SaltHornFinished.jpg

I broke off a little of the pine resin the lads collected earlier this year and mixed in a bit of ground willow charcoal (from the art draw as it was to hand) as it melted on a bit of tin on the electric ring in the shed. It filled the gaps and around the brass pouring tube and I used a heated up old scalpel blade to smooth it down, when set it sanded nicely off the wood and a good blow showed it had made a decent seal.

SaltHornFinishedDetail.jpg

The cap was simplicity itself, I cut off a inch or so of the same tube I made the pourer from and rounghly filed some teath in one end. Held in the jaws of a drill it made a neat circular hole in a piece of horn.

To finish I rubbed it down, in the direction of the grain with some superfine wire wool.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE