Salt Glazed Pottery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm looking for some help here from out re-enactor community, our more craft based members etc...

Does anyone have a source (preferably online) to a potter who still makes the bown, speckled type of pottery that I think is salt glazed pottery? I am looking to buy some dinner plates, bowls and perhaps mugs in this stuff but it appear to be as rare as hens teeth :( . Can anyone help at all with a source or preferably hand made pottery of this type?

Thanks in Advance!

Red

I'm looking for some help here from out re-enactor community, our more craft based members etc...

Does anyone have a source (preferably online) to a potter who still makes the bown, speckled type of pottery that I think is salt glazed pottery? I am looking to buy some dinner plates, bowls and perhaps mugs in this stuff but it appear to be as rare as hens teeth :( . Can anyone help at all with a source or preferably hand made pottery of this type?

Thanks in Advance!

Red
Talk to Jim the Potter at Trinity Court Potteries, he's one of the best out there, made my alembic and a lot of the other post I use in my research

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just been to have a look at the site - lovely stuff it is indeed - thanks guys. Sadly not exactly what I was looking for (many nice pieces but I was just after plates and bowls and serving bowls in plain pottery with a salt glaze rather than something historically accurate).

Shame as his stuff is lovely looking

Red

I made some salt glazed items when i was an University . you could try contacting the 3D design department of the nearest Uni or collage, the students will be happy to make a few quid on the side , we had people coming in asking for commissions of all types of things when I was there , good luck :)

Just been to have a look at the site - lovely stuff it is indeed - thanks guys. Sadly not exactly what I was looking for (many nice pieces but I was just after plates and bowls and serving bowls in plain pottery with a salt glaze rather than something historically accurate).

Shame as his stuff is lovely looking

Red

Drop him a line, a lot of his stuff is made to order

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay Sally - thanks

Singeblister......University...thats students right? Do they actually do work then? Real work...for money? :)

Red

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I think you will find that true salt glazed is no longer produced due to pollution issues. They stopped production back in the 80's. So you will probably have to use ground brown up beer bottles as a glaze, will give much the sam effect.

Sandsnakes

(I did pottery at Uni as an option, strange but true!)

ledamni

Dec 5, 2006
UK

Thanks in Advance!

Red

Hey Red,

Derby College - 01332 520200 - You want the lady in charge of ceramics her name was Maggie, she side lined in willow kilned, historic green glazed stuff, raku, salt, etc, amazing potter as well as ceramicist. Im sure she would take a commision on as she used to do them all the time, and slipware is dirt cheap so you only really be paying for the glazing work. Tell her you know me, im guessing she won't forget me must don't.

If you want any more details or you have troubles I can hunt her down otherwise.

Have a good one

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Edinbane Pottery make salt glazed stuff although their gallery might be a bit fancy
for plain plates and whatnot so your pieces might need to be commissioned. They
are based in Skye. I was originally googling for Orkney and salt glaze cos when I
was there there was pottery all over the place, but it turns out not to be salty but
Skye popped up in the search.
http://www.edinbane-pottery.co.uk/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE