SAK Vs Leatherman

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which do you prefer?

• SAK

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Leathermans

Votes: 55 44.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
I enjoy using both, often use a leatherman at work and various SAKs kicking around in different bags and pockets!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I never understood the need for a Leatherman (or other brand multi-tool, though a SAK can be classed as such in its own right) in de woods. I mean ... pliers? Though, the last week I've been lurking at the Leatherman Charge AL ... I own an old SAK (Victorinox something), birthday present from my dad, years ago - does the job, but misses some 'essential' tools (it only has 2 blades, can opener and bottle opener), so until last week I had a Wenger Hunter on my wishlist ...

I'd love to have a multi-tool with
- Pruning shears
- Blade (one handed)
- Serrated blade (one handed)
- Woodsaw
- Scissors
- Bit driver thingie
- Corkscrew
- Awl
- Can & bottle opener
- (File)

Currently, I swing both ways - so I'll keep a close eye on this thread for the arguments others have.

Last edited:

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I have a good few of each, and whilst I love My Alox Slodier, Forester and a few others by Victorinox which get used and carried plenty I have a clear favourite. As mentioned already & my favourite sharp of them all and the one I would never go without is the Leatherman Charge. I have a couple of them and rarely leave home without one with the TTi being my favourite as well as it having so much sentimental value (30th gift from friends)
So that's where my vote went!

SAKs are great, faultless pieces of kit and it should be law for everyone finding one that suits and having it them at all times!:cool:

Leathermans though, for me they nick it and in general life tasks they are the ulimate multitool.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
I cannot decide as i don't own a leatherman but have various copies. I have a swiss soldiers knife which is brilliant but my dads leatherman wave is also very good so i have not yet made my mind up.

garethw

Settler
I've been a Leatherman fan since the first one that was a gift from a US colleague in the late 80's. I find I use mine every day and wear it on my belt at all times. (Note here: I live in the country and have never had a issue with carrying knives, everyone does..I don't wear it into Paris)
I generally find it most useful for all jobs even in the woods. The saw while not replacing a Bahco, is very good, at a pinch it will do a feather stick and it opens beer bottles...(ok you need the SAK for wine).
Even when I carry my Mora round my kneck, I find myself going for the belt and the Leatherman for small cutting jobs...
I lost one last year and was at a loss myself on a daily basis.. that's how useful I find this tool.
cheers
Gareth

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I never understood the need for a Leatherman (or other brand multi-tool, though a SAK can be classed as such in its own right) in de woods. I mean ... pliers? Though, the last week I've been lurking at the Leatherman Charge AL ... I own an old SAK (Victorinox something), birthday present from my dad, years ago - does the job, but misses some 'essential' tools (it only has 2 blades, can opener and bottle opener), so until last week I had a Wenger Hunter on my wishlist ...

I'd love to have a multi-tool with
- Pruning shears
- Blade (one handed)
- Serrated blade (one handed)
- Woodsaw
- Scissors
- Bit driver thingie
- Corkscrew
- Awl
- Can & bottle opener
- (File)

Currently, I swing both ways - so I'll keep a close eye on this thread for the arguments others have.

A BcUK model?!;)

Drop Leatherman a line, I understand they are very receptive to new ideas (having had a few contacts with them over the years)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've carried a Leatherman wave for at least eight years but recently switched to the Victorinox Swisstool. The build and tool quility are top notch.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I keep a Leatherman Wave in the vehicle and I carry it in the bush when doing Nordic skiing because of the tools. If trekking about or everyday, I only carry a Victorinox Farmer.
I have broke Leatherman tools before, several of them and with not much effort, therefor I carry sparingly. I see the multitools as a bunch of halfass weak tools that will fit on a belt. I see the SAK as a useable tool that will work as designed.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I keep a Leatherman Wave in the vehicle and I carry it in the bush when doing Nordic skiing because of the tools. If trekking about or everyday, I only carry a Victorinox Farmer.
I have broke Leatherman tools before, several of them and with not much effort, therefor I carry sparingly. I see the multitools as a bunch of halfass weak tools that will fit on a belt. I see the SAK as a useable tool that will work as designed.

You might want to try the Swisstool then.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've always had at least one of each from time to time and personally I have found more uses for the Leatherman than the SAKs

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
I voted SAK on the basis it fits my everyday needs better. I have a few of each and would say thr Leatherman squirt series are better than small SAK's but my charge AL irritates me the way you have to open it for the screwdrivers or scissors. Also i believe that SAK's are more people friendly. On this basis i like the SAK Explorer as my EDC or sometimes my Soldier.

Atb, Jon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE