SAK Vs Leatherman

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which do you prefer?

• SAK

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Leathermans

Votes: 55 44.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
I've had a Leatherman Supertool for 12 years now and it has been a real friend,
BUT!
I also have 6 SAKs knocking around so I guess I'm more of a SAK guy.
The Supertool stays in the car for legal reasons and I find that a small tool bag with proper screwdrivers, snips, wire cutters, pliers etc serves me better.
Oddly enough the saw on the SAK that I carry in my tool bag went through some plastic trunking yesterday much better than my Leatherman one ever did!
And if it ends up in the pub accidentally, then I don't have to worry (too much)

Cheers

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
I have been a Leatherman addict for several years now as I felt more comfortable about how robust they are versus the SAK (personal opinion, I can see others disagree) but I ended up carrying a SAK as it was UK legal, but now I have the best of both worlds as I have acquired a Juice XE6 which has a two and a half inch blade and no lock mechanism so it's street legal, also the model of SAK that I was carrying around didn't have a saw on it so now I have a non locking Leatherman with a saw AND an awl. In all my years I have only ever been questioned once by the Police about carrying a knife, the knife in question was indeed a lock blade (and so technically illegal I am guessing) but I explained to the officer that I been using it at work until I had to leave unexpectedly (which the officer knew was true 'coz he was the guy who had to get me at work and ask me to come home!!) and he was okay with my response. If it wasn't for the issue of the locking blade then I would have a Leatherman on me at all times, probably a Charge TTI.

HTH

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I've just returned from a 9 month trip to the other side of the world and my Leatherman Wave never let me down once!! great bit of kit in my opinion!! :cool:

Dan

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I voted SAK - purely for the EDC legality of the non-locking blade...
I love my leatherman tools (my Original Wave was given to me by Tim Leatherman himself!) and carry them everywhere...but I need to prepare an excuse for the Plod.....

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I voted SAK but carry both, although the Leatherman is only a Micra on my keys. The Victorinox Farmer gets used everyday. Used to EDC a Wave but law change stopped that.

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
Carried a Leatherman PST for 9 years now and lost it once, i was mortified till i found it again, it sits on my belt no matter if i'm working or not.

Had a accident with it and broke the blade, and after contacting Leatherman they are more than happy to fit a new one, my only concern is i will be without it for a few weeks....

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
Its Leathermans all the way for me. I've had a few SAK's and i've never really got on with them, my main bug-bear is the lack of a locking mechanism, I know it means they are 'street legal' but I just cant abide the thought of having a little slip and slicing my fingers to ribbons. Having said that, they defiantly have their place, its just not in my rucksack.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Its Leathermans all the way for me. I've had a few SAK's and i've never really got on with them, my main bug-bear is the lack of a locking mechanism, I know it means they are 'street legal' but I just cant abide the thought of having a little slip and slicing my fingers to ribbons. Having said that, they defiantly have their place, its just not in my rucksack.

SAKs have locking mechanisms (the multi tools and larger knives anyway).

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
SAKs have locking mechanisms (the multi tools and larger knives anyway).

Oh right, I didnt realise, I had a few when I was younger, couldnt get on with them and never looked at them again. Maybe its time I gave them another go!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Oh right, I didnt realise, I had a few when I was younger, couldnt get on with them and never looked at them again. Maybe its time I gave them another go!

I used a Wave or Charge for years, still got them. But the Swisstool is my main MT now. Nutnfancy's video convinced me to try one out.

[video=youtube;aMAKznXul5M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMAKznXul5M[/video]

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
i have a leatherman pulse and surge and also a sak i must admit its the sak for me as it fits in my pocket better and is a lot lighter feels good in the hand has a cork screw and just seems nice to use
the pulse it nicknamed leatherwoman and gets used around the house a lot by swmbo and the surge never gets used anymore

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Carry both an alox farmer and l/man wave most of the time and use both equally.

The pliers of the l/man are very useful about camp and in the woods imo.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I never understood the need for a Leatherman (or other brand multi-tool, though a SAK can be classed as such in its own right) in de woods. I mean ... pliers? Though, the last week I've been lurking at the Leatherman Charge AL ... I own an old SAK (Victorinox something), birthday present from my dad, years ago - does the job, but misses some 'essential' tools (it only has 2 blades, can opener and bottle opener), so until last week I had a Wenger Hunter on my wishlist ...

I'd love to have a multi-tool with
- Pruning shears
- Blade (one handed)
- Serrated blade (one handed)
- Woodsaw
- Scissors
- Bit driver thingie
- Corkscrew
- Awl
- Can & bottle opener
- (File)

Currently, I swing both ways - so I'll keep a close eye on this thread for the arguments others have.

....and a diamond file too please!

My missus uses a Leatherman Vista (shears rather than pliers) and its much better for bumming around the homestead.

An Xti with shears instead of pliers would be my prefect tool for the garden - I use a cheap Wilkinson sword multio tool with shears for now

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I have well over 20 SAK's, the biggest dilema I have is which one to carry! :)
I do have the original Leatherman Tool, which I do use fairly often, I don't REALLY like it, but it does do the job after a fashion. I hate the way the tools insist on closing on my fingers, but still, it makes it's way into my kit time and again, ho hum!
Of the SAK's for the outdoors the Farmer gets into my pocket time and again, along with the original Soldier. At work it's usually a Huntsman, Camper or Hiker.

Of course, your milage might well vary!

Dave

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
That Swisstool does look pretty awesome, wouldnt mind getting my hands on one to see how it feels

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
That Swisstool does look pretty awesome, wouldnt mind getting my hands on one to see how it feels

I have quite a few multi-tools, including several from each of Gerber, Leatherman and SOG. The SwissTool is the one that lives on my belt. It has the right tools for what I do, they all work fine, they all lock, it's more comfortable to use and much quicker and more convenient to take out the tools than most of the other.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
The SwissTool is superbly made. I know a couple of guys who have used the SwissTool for about 10 years, and out of the two examples, one had needed a screwdriver re-grinding through too much abuse. Apart from that, both still worked perfectly. After that I ditched the Leatherman into the kitchen drawer and bought the SwissTool. Have been superbly happy with it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE