SAK tin opener

ganstey

Settler
OK, so this may seem like a daft question, but how are you supposed to use the tin opener you get on a SAK? I'm a practical guy and can normally work out how most things work, but this has me beat. Every way I can think of using it would cause it to fold up.

Please help a tortured man :confused:

G

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
This is difficult to describe, but basically hook it over the rim of the can from the outside. Use the curved, sharpened portion to puncture the can as far as you can, then withdraw. Move the knife about 10mm further round the can and repeat in a sort of nibbling way. If that makes any sense!

Dave

ganstey

Settler
That's pretty much how I thought it should work, but when I tried it (some years ago admittedly) I failed completely. Does the 'blade' go into the end of the slot already cut, or do you cut a chain of slots? Also as I'm right handed, I'm presuming the tin goes in my left hand and I turn it anti-clockwise.

These must seem like such obvious things, but for some reason I have a real mental block with this one.:banghead:

Thanks for your patience
G

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Rather than making a series of slots just push the edge away from you as you also push the blade into the can, then, after you reach the end of the stroke slide the edge up the cut to the point of almost coming out of the cut WITH PRESSURE STILL PUSHING THE BLADE AWAY FROM YOU then start the downstroke again - repeat until disk of metal falls in the beans...

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
i hold the can in my left and SAk in my right

then you can do either. 'extend' the slit, turn can clockwise

create new slit behind it and link it up, by turning can anti clockwise.

SAK just rocks. i find 'extending' the slit quicker, but also takes slightly more skills to stop the SAK can opener slipping into the slit, rather than cutting the metal

ganstey

Settler
I still can't quite picture it, but I think I now need to go away and have another go. If I still can't fathom it, then I'll be back. I'll try having something from a tin for tea tonight - If I get desperate there's always a conventional tin opener in the drawer :D

Thanks for the help
G

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
it depends on which type of sak you have as there are different types that work in opposite ways (victronox and wenger for example)

which sak do you have?

ganstey

Settler
it depends on which type of sak you have as there are different types that work in opposite ways (victronox and wenger for example)

which sak do you have?

AH! That may explain things. I have two. The one here in the office has a logo on it that's a bit like a cross inside a capital Q. The one at home has our company logo on, and was a Christmas freebie :D So neither are Victorinox or Wenger, so they could be anything, including completely useless :lmao:

Seems like I have a task for the evening ;)

G

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
OK - the victronox has a tin opener that cuts on the 'push stroke' and has a small screwdriver on its tip - the wenger type cut on the 'pull' and have a hook type cutter with the 'sharp' bit on the inside of the hook

As said before the art is to initially punch the hole then to smoothly cut on the push/pull extending the cut on each cut

It is defiantly a difficult thing to describe though! :eek:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
have a go and let me know if you have sucess - if not I could try to make a video if you want (video will be easy just not so sure about posting it yet)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Its one of those things you need to see done but they are quite quick when you get the hang of it. Basically as stated the blade is used horizontal in your right hand, can in left, then using the bottom of the can opener blade (ie not the spear point) puncture the can then with a rocking/pushing action slice the inside of the top of the lid bit by bit :) The hook bit of the blade is the pivot point that stays on the outside wall of the can.

Probably makes no sense but i tried lol

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Just put your thumb on the 'poll' of the cutting part, use a rocking motion with the knife while slowly turning the can anti clockwise (reverse if left handed :D)

Same motion with the P 38 although lefties have a problem.

ganstey

Settler
SUCCESS! :D

Had a go yesterday and here's what I did/discovered. First of all, I have to SAKs, and as it happens one is a Victorinox, and the other is an imitation with the other style of tin opener. The target was a tin on beans.

IMG_0672.JPG

My first go was with the Victorinox. By hooking the hook under the lip of the tin, placing the point on the inside and levering up, the point went in, starting the cut. I was surprised at how easy this was.

IMG_0674.JPG

The action is then to slide the knife forward allowing the tip to rise up on the uncut edge until the tin edge is almost at the tip of the blade part. Then rock the knife by lifting the handle until the next length is cut.

IMG_0675.JPG

Continue around until the lid is completely separated.

IMG_0676.JPG

Flushed with success I moved on to the other knife. Starting the cut is exactly the same as the previous one:

IMG_0677.JPG

Use the same rocking action as before, but this time draw the knife back towards you.

IMG_0678.JPG

I found the second method much quicker, but the edge was much more serrated (I don't think this was due to my technique), and the lid didn't want to separate from the tin as easily.

IMG_0679.JPG

My reward for all this hard work was a nice bowl of steaming hot beans for lunch :D Shown here is my latest spoon, which is a really good user.

IMG_0681.JPG

Thanks to those that explained well enough for me to have a go, and hopefully this will have helped a few others too.

Cheers
G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE