SAK - length of wood saw blade?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Hello chaps,

I'm thinking of getting a Victorinox Camper to replace one I lost years ago.

Does anyone have a similar model (Camper, Huntsman, Handyman, Ranger etc) to confirm the blade lengths?

British Red's indicated that the main blade is less than 3in, but I'd like to confirm the wood saw is too so I can stay the right side of S139.

This is the model I'm after:

victorinox_camper.jpg

Grateful for any info. :)

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
just measured my huntsman, 2" and 7/8s :)

ATB
TJ
Thanks for taking the time to check :)

Not much in it then! Not sure I'd fancy arguing over 1/8in with a policeman :cop:

Does the cutting edge run along the whole wood saw blade? I think the law states it's the actually cutting length that counts - the main blade has a bit of spare metal near the handle, but can't tell on the wood saw.

Last edited:

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
2 7/8 mine is from tip to where it folds into the handle. the last 1/8 has no teeth, or should that be 1st...

really rough measurement of teeth is 2 5/8 (huntsman) which is my edc

Last edited:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Worth considering the Farmer as a possible alternate choice. It's the alox handled type. You lose the corkscrew and small blade, but the main blade is a little thicker and the springs a little stronger. Not easy to find on the high street but readily available online.

Thanks for taking the time to check :)

Not much in it then! Not sure I'd fancy arguing over 1/8in with a policeman :cop:

Does the cutting edge run along the whole wood saw blade? I think the law states it's the actually cutting length that counts - the main blade has a bit of spare metal near the handle, but can't tell on the wood saw.

it is the cuttin edge length that the letter of the law says

so technically you need to measure up and down each tooth zig zag and remember a the SAK is double toothed so both sides :yikes:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have a Huntsman now picked it up at my local boot market a couple of weeks ago for £1.50 a steel if I say so myself.
Saw blade length is 2 7/8.
It is now my favourite SAK.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Cheers all - sounds like it would pass muster under S139, so will take a look at a few options and see what looks best :)

Leaning towards a choice between Camper and Hiker... can't decide whether a corkscrew is more useful than a Philips screwdriver. On my salary it's screwtop wines all the way, so the Hiker's looking promising. :)

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
Worth considering the Farmer as a possible alternate choice. It's the alox handled type.

I just checked my Farmer, it's the same 2 7/8" saw from handle to tip. Tho I prefer it for my "woods" pocketknife. It's the one I find myself wishing I had back in Scouts.

Matt in Texas

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
With the Farmer is there anything you'd use the reamer for that the sewing spike on the Hiker / Camper would struggle with? Trying to decide whether losing the small blade and the corkscrew / screwdriver plus sewing spike would be made up for by the reamer on the Farmer.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
The reamer on the Farmer is far superior for making holes in things, but that small blade can be mighty handy, especially if you reshape it for whittling as I have on my Hiker. I've never yet found a need for the sewing hole on any of my many SAK's.

Dave

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Cheers all - sounds like it would pass muster under S139, so will take a look at a few options and see what looks best :)

Leaning towards a choice between Camper and Hiker... can't decide whether a corkscrew is more useful than a Philips screwdriver. On my salary it's screwtop wines all the way, so the Hiker's looking promising. :)

The corkscrew gives you somewhere to carry the mini screwdriver, for sunglasses screws, etc.

Do you need the saw? If not, have a look at the Climber or the Compact, both have corkscrew, can opener and scissors; compact only has one blade, and a combined can/bottle opener, and so is lighter and thinner.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I went for the Hiker in the end - the saw will be useful when camping to chop up small bits of kindling etc., and the philips screwdriver will get more use than a corkscrew I reckon.

I presumed the saw would fall under the definition of a "bladed article" but it's an interesting point... even if it doesn't technically count I'd rather be on the right side of the law re. length to avoid the issue in the first place :)

This thread on British Blades suggests a saw blade does count under S139, but context would determine whether an offence is committed (i.e. using it to chop wood in the forest vs. waving it around at a football match).

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE