Safety Rules

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
zambezi said:
Finally, the all purpose stuff that you should carry in the first aid kit to wash a wound is Betadine. [same stuff surgeries splash on patients before cutting them open] The big advantage of this disinfectant is that it is powerful but does not cauterize in any way and hence does not impair natural healing.
Is this avaliable in chemists?

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Betadine (povidone iodine) can be purchased from most large chemists. The chemist would mention this anyway, but note this should not be used on anyone with an iodine allergy.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
simonsays said:
It should be ok provided the lady doesnt drink it :yikes: After all, we use it to prep the skin of patients undergoing c-sections

cheers,
simon

No, you're quite right mate! I know the post was about cleaning wounds but I was actually meaning drinking it...as it water purification, didn't really make myself clear did I!!! lol :wave:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
TheViking said:
3. Keep all limbs away from the arc of your cut.
4. Always cut away from the body.

Now these are interesting ones.

Personally, I take them with a pinch of salt and believe that it's best to teach others to follow them, even if I don't. When carving I cut towards myself for some of the cuts but I know what I'm doing. I do cut myself occasionally.

Now I was watching an old Ray Mears World of Survival last night about the Aborigines of Arnehmland.
A group of women were cutting digging sticks and one was carving the point into hers while resting the end of the stick on her heel. She was using the heel as a stop for the knife. :shock:
This was the edge of the blade hitting her heel. Their feet must have really leathery skin because it wasn't leaving a mark and you could tell the knife was sharp.

Amazing!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
With regards to sticking a knife into a wood stump or similar, I cup the end of the knife handle in the middle of my palm with fingers going down the handle facing the blade and push the knife in gently with my palm.

I think this can actually be more sensible than constantly re sheathing the knife as it will eventually wear the sheath and you're more likely to cut your hand when sheathing every minute.

Just a thought.

J

Jamie

steve a said:
I,ve seen a guy do this while demoing prepping rabbits, hands covered in blood,so very slippy,he was lucky, maybe next time he may learn to lay the knife down or put it away.

Might be worthwhile pointing out that when prepping game etc, this is the only time that you even want to think of leaving your knife lying out between cuts - but leaving it somewhere you know it is and is visible to you and any others nearby - as sheathing your knife with blood and guts on it is going to leave your sheath in a very unhyygienic state, one which cant be cleaned easily and certainly not in the field.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Squidders said:
I think this can actually be more sensible than constantly re sheathing the knife as it will eventually wear the sheath .....QUOTE]

We probably have to accept that a sheath is a wear item that will require replacement before the blade. That said, I bet most of us hang onto the old sheath long after it has ceased to grip the knife safely.

With this in mind I came up with a design of my own which I then commissioned Roger Linger and Jamie Briggs to fabricate. My knife has an independent locking mechanism which not only secures the blade, but will also serve to prevent the loss of a worn fire steel too. I will have it with me at Ashdown if anyone wants to have a look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE