Safety Rules

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
It surprises me that safety rules when using edged tools, haven't got a thread yet. It is vital to bushcraft to be able to avoid cutting oneself, therefore I've made this thread. If we can discuss which jacket Ray was wearing, why not discuss this also. :wave:

From the military training manual: Survival, by Len Cacutt.

1. When you carry your knife, carry a first aid kit.
2. Plan every cut before you make it.
3. Keep all limbs away from the arc of your cut.
4. Always cut away from the body.
5. Be aware of what is going on around you.
6. Replace the knife in it's scabbard immediately after use.
7. Never lend your knife, you may never see it again.

I know, there's not much to discuss, but this might be a how-to guide for newbies in safe use of cutting tools. :biggthump

Big blades is a whole different subject as they are much more dangerous than small blades: http://www.outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=11
Stay safe.

jakunen

Native
Also, if holding the knife under your armpit whilst working - make sure the blade is facing DOWN...

Never throw your knife - it may hit someone and if it lands in the warm, steaming divot, if you don't clean it properly and then prep food...
Likewise 'sheathing' it in the ground - where did the fox/wolf/coyote/deer last relieve itself?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
and certainly not when you've been drinking!!!

Most outdoors/bushcraft/woodcarft/survival books have this sort of info in them but I don't think you can really learn it from books or forums....maybe I'm wrong and it doesn't hurt to put the info here...but I think you really need to be shown to fully understand it and the implications of not doing things right/safely.

I learned my safety in Scouts doing my Knife, Axe and Bow Saw tests....the info is as relevant to me today as it was then and I still carry each of the three exactly how my Skipper showed me to....not had an accident yet (touch wood :eek:): )

Having said the above I did learn a new trick from one of RM's books about temporily storing a knife or folding saw under my armpit.... :p

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
jakunen said:
Likewise 'sheathing' it in the ground - where did the fox/wolf/coyote/deer last relieve itself?

Not to mention that this will blunt the blade over a fairly short time....

I think a lot of it is common sense......just scarey how many people are lacking in it out there!!!!! :yikes:

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
steve a said:
I would add,
try not to use any cutting tools when you are tired.
Do not use any cutting tools in the dark.

This is so true, did both of the mistakes this summer and cut myself with the axe in my hand, a first aid kit is very handy then =)

Viking, try to find books or videos by a man called Wille Sundkvist, heas been carving with knives all his life (and he is a very old man) and he shows good ways in using a knife without getting hurt. I can highly recommend his video if you want to learn about safety while using a knife.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
bambodoggy said:
Most outdoors/bushcraft/woodcarft/survival books have this sort of info in them but I don't think you can really learn it from books or forums....maybe I'm wrong and it doesn't hurt to put the info here...but I think you really need to be shown to fully understand it and the implications of not doing things.
You are definately correct here. Learning by doing. I've cut myself dozens of times, when not following these rules and i've learned it now. Keep those bl**dy hands off the blade's path! :roll:
My intention with the thread was to help any newbies who are not that familiar with this and maybe wanted some straight rules to follow to avoid cutting themselves. :wink:

jakunen

Native
The best way I saw to teach people about it was one of our instructors thought it'd be funny to tape some uncooked pig skin around a bladder of fake blood and tuck this under his armpit. Clamps knife, chats to new squaddies, removes knife, carries on talking as one cadet faints and then 'realises' he's severed the tendons and screams. He was a really funny guy!:roll:

Got the point across though...

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Maybe it is worth mentioning that even the best can cut himself. You can follow a hundred safety rules and still cut yourself. In my experience anyway.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I cridge when I see people stabbing their knife into a tree stump or whatever whilst they take a break from doing some work, quite easy for the hand to slip and can result in a painful cut across the palm or fingers.
I,ve seen a guy do this while demoing prepping rabbits, hands covered in blood,so very slippy,he was lucky, maybe next time he may learn to lay the knife down or put it away.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I admit I've had to put the knife into a lump of wood for a few second as my other hand is busy and I couldn't put my knife iaway one handed.
*knife goes in wood
*put down the stick I was cutting
*put knife away

I think if you do know what your doing it isn't a problem.

The problem comes with learning how your knife behaves

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
1: common sense
2: first aid

2p.jpg
eeeehehehehehehe

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Can't remember who wrote it :?: But another safety thing is to keep your knife sharp. Doesn't sound any logic at first :roll: , but when you realise that most cuts are result of blunt knives - then it'll make sense.

When using a blunt knive (as we all know) is harder to use, ergo more force on it, ergo more chance of accidents :shock:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Ahjno said:
Can't remember who wrote it :?: But another safety thing is to keep your knife sharp. Doesn't sound any logic at first :roll: , but when you realise that most cuts are result of blunt knives - then it'll make sense.

When using a blunt knive (as we all know) is harder to use, ergo more force on it, ergo more chance of accidents :shock:
Also a sharp knife will make a more clean cut, if the accident should happen.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
TheViking said:
It surprises me that safety rules when using edged tools, haven't got a thread yet. It is vital to bushcraft to be able to avoid cutting oneself

Absolutely! Spot on The Viking! Remember the cretin that designed the world's best survival knife ...then went out into the woods and tested it? Plunged the thing into his leg on the first outing.

Burst Ash

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
ouch! that has got to hurt!!! :yikes:

i think that the best safety rule is common sense and the good old human instinct FEAR!! :aargh4:. when i am using my pen knife (the only knife i have, becuase i am poor :cry:.) i am always scared that it will fold back on me so i am always really careful!

before all you guy anf gals start saying that i should not be scared of my blade, i know but then i tcauses you to be careful! and little bit of fear never hurt anyone!

fear is the cause of common sense!

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Every safety consideration on this page looks spot on. If we all did all of this all the time, the puncture repair kit wouldn't come out so often.

I note that the thread has dealt specifically with knives, although much of these guidelines could apply to all edged tools. Special caveats for other tools might be:

Machete: be aware of the unpredictable follow through path the blade can take if it deflects off the wood instead of biting.

Axe: check the area in which you intend to wield it for clearance. [i.e. to avoid snagging a branch at the top of your back swing]

Saw: until the blade has begun its furrow, they can jump. This can lead to ugly lacerations of the hands. Also, whilst you may keep your knife in a state of surgical cleanliness, I bet your saw blade looks like it could carry bubonic!

Finally, the all purpose stuff that you should carry in the first aid kit to wash a wound is Betadine. [same stuff surgeries splash on patients before cutting them open] The big advantage of this disinfectant is that it is powerful but does not cauterize in any way and hence does not impair natural healing.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
zambezi said:
Saw: until the blade has begun its furrow, they can jump. This can lead to ugly lacerations of the hands. Also, whilst you may keep your knife in a state of surgical cleanliness, I bet your saw blade looks like it could carry bubonic!.

Top tips Zamo! The other thing to do with bow saws (this is in RM's books but I learned it in Scouts years ago) is to start the cut with your supporting hand through the bow so the blade can't lift as it'll be stopped by the bottom of your wrist. Then once the cut is a tad deeper than the blade width, put your hand back where it's comfy and place your thumb over the opening and on top of the blade...the blade now cannot jump out of the cut :eek:):

The other things that hurt are burns!!!!! Watch out for those billy can handles dropping to one side! You'll only make the mistake of picking it up by hand the once....I did in Cubs at 9 and the memory of that exquisite pain is as vivid today as it was then.... :rolmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE