Safari Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Colin C

Jan 7, 2006
West Sussex
Adi Fiddler said:
Hey you cant go wrong with the old style dessert boot, that is what i wore whilst working in Africa. They are cool, comfortable and give goop protection to the feet.

Here is a link with a good selection of desert boots.

Eventually went for the Desert Boots from here - can throughly recommend for service & delivery. Will let you know how they stand up to the Ugandan Bush on my return :)

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Colin C said:
Thanks for that - and the link. Any you'd recommend, given the type of use they're likely to get?

I missed the above post but glad you found what you were looking for.

I used this sort in both Africa. I also used them in the Middle East despite being issued mod high legs.

http://www.christophershoes.co.uk/images/shoes/Desert_Boots/1369_ROAMERS_Desert_Boot.jpg

AJB said:
Having never tramped across Africa I can’t testify to the suitability of these boots. But having tramped about Aldershot in them for a few years, they’re comfy and de rigueur on the high street and in North Camp!

Would that be in the civvy uniform of stone washed jeans and maroon sweat shirt?

You don’t see the civvy uniform nowadays

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Adi Fiddler said:
Would that be in the civvy uniform of stone washed jeans and maroon sweat shirt?

:)

YEP!

I was a MoD civy working at the RAE (but all my mates lived on Alison's Road!) so, living in the Shot, the uniform was the only way to survive, and the only cheep clothes you could buy!

Pauli

Aug 11, 2005
Norwich
I bought some Bata Safari boots in Kenya and they've lasted pretty well. They cost about 15 quid. I don't know if there are Bata shops in Uganda but the boots can be bought online at http://www.batakenya.com/index.htm (haven't used this service so can't say how good it is).

Hope this helps.

Pauli

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Squidders said:

I'd highly recommend these boots. I bought mine 7 years ago and they finally died this year! They had approximately 2 trips to Africa every year (about a month each time) and survived very well. The laces weren't great and the metal cleats rusted a bit (sweaty feet!! ...... you can't avoid it!), and the occasional tenacious spear grass seed went through the fabric area (although this was a rare occurrence). I've now got a pair of these and they seem up to the job, off to Kenya and Oman later in the year so we'll see how they perform.

If you're out and about wandering the bush I'd also recommend a pair of canvas ankle gaiters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE