Safari Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Colin C

Jan 7, 2006
West Sussex
Anyone know of any manufacturers/retailers/websites in the UK that stock Safari Boots? Off to Uganda in May doing some Charity work, with the 'possibilty' of getting out and about as well, hence looking for some lightweight boots. Not having much luck finding any, and don't really want to have to resort to ex-military boots.

Thanks in advance :D

Colin

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi Colin,

Will most of the safari be 4x4 based or will you be walking around a lot in the non-gamey parts?

I would go for something very cheap and cheerful as well as very light and not waterproof... unless you're going in the rainy season. I avoid waterproof unless there's a good chance of rain as I find that no matter how breathable someone says a boot is... it isn't, and that sucks. I have never been on safari before but I can imagine it's damn hot especially if you're in a car with the windows open so you can get photos so I would also think about a good pair of sandals (also offering the advantage that you don't have to shake them out.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr428.html - cheapie boots

http://www.stewardsons.co.uk/Mens_sandals.htm - Merrel Kahuna are very comfy (I have has some for years) they are good for long walks or just mootching around.

Please consider that i'm not a chiropodist or expert though... this is just what I would go for.

- Joe

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I can't help with the boots I'm afraid, but you seem to be taking the right approach by avoiding ex-army kit. Travel to places that have any recent history of war/conflict/unrest has it's own risks involved and the avoidance of even the smallest thing that might make others believe that you are linked to the military is a good move. A pair of DPM trousers or DPM backpack can get you into more trouble than you want. Every terrorist and bushman out there would know the tread pattern of genuine army boots and you could find yourself being tracked by nasties wherever you wandered into the bush.

Colin C

Jan 7, 2006
West Sussex
Thanks for that - not much in the way of a Safari I'm afraid, more building dormitories for street kids and protecting water sources - as I said a possibility of some leisure time when we'll be able to get out into the more rural parts. Need to keep feet covered really to stop problems with mozzies and bilharzia parasite, but no real need to go waterproof, as won't be wading around in water etc.

Thanks for the links :)

Colin

Colin C

Jan 7, 2006
West Sussex
Longstrider said:
I can't help with the boots I'm afraid, but you seem to be taking the right approach by avoiding ex-army kit. Travel to places that have any recent history of war/conflict/unrest has it's own risks involved and the avoidance of even the smallest thing that might make others believe that you are linked to the military is a good move. A pair of DPM trousers or DPM backpack can get you into more trouble than you want. Every terrorist and bushman out there would know the tread pattern of genuine army boots and you could find yourself being tracked by nasties wherever you wandered into the bush.

Thanks for the advice Longstrider :)

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Hey you cant go wrong with the old style dessert boot, that is what i wore whilst working in Africa. They are cool, comfortable and give goop protection to the feet.

Here is a link with a good selection of desert boots.

Colin C

Jan 7, 2006
West Sussex
Adi Fiddler said:
Hey you cant go wrong with the old style dessert boot, that is what i wore whilst working in Africa. They are cool, comfortable and give goop protection to the feet.

Thanks for that - and the link. Any you'd recommend, given the type of use they're likely to get?

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Well they are made in Africa, designed for walking across Africa, mine have been used only in temperate zone enviroment but have stood up very well considering and at the price I dont think you would be disappointed.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Pick whatever you like from the "Christopher shoes" site. Well made with the protection you need. Forget sandals :yuck: you need more protection than that...

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
So, nearly every indigenous people in hot climates go barefoot and yet sandals do not offer enough protection… interesting.

I must be missing something. :D

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I second the Rogue boots - they are amazingly comfortable, unimaginably hardwearing, and fit in with a bushcrafters 'natural materials' philosophy. And they are dirt cheap. John Muirdens after sales service is fantastic as well, so you have nothing to lose.

Jake.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Squidders, as I understand it, people who go barefoot for life have two things going for them that we who wear shoes do not. First their feet are a lot tougher and less sensitive, and second, they are far more aware of where they put their feet.

Local peoples do a lot of things that would not work so well if a visitor tried it.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Adi Fiddler said:

Having never tramped across Africa I can’t testify to the suitability of these boots. But having tramped about Aldershot in them for a few years, they’re comfy and de rigueur on the high street and in North Camp!

(Thinking of buying some for old time sake)

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
I shall be getting some, for old times sake.
I remember getting 3 pairs of these confiscated at boarding school.
Our housemaster developed some problems. Confiscated gear was kept in his bedroom. At one stage he had about 20 pairs of these in there... The rooms weren't large, and 20 pairs of boots?

My, how we laughed :D :lmao:

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Squidders said:
So, nearly every indigenous people in hot climates go barefoot and yet sandals do not offer enough protection… interesting.

I must be missing something. :D
Maybe being indigenous, they're immune, but you're going to find these all over the areas he will be in. It's all very well being ethnic, but foolhardy :rolleyes:
SNAKETOO.jpg

Egypt.jpg

Reactions: scanker

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Here is my recommendation as in the "Courteney African Gameskin Safari Boot"

Real 'cool' and available here in the UK from:

www.luckin.co.uk

Yep, guess I truly am the Emeldor Marcos of hunting footwear as SWMBO refers to me! :lmao:

Cheers

SafariBoot.jpg
[/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE