SAD NEWS for the community...Lucky Lee has unfortunately passed. RIP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have just seen from Funky Prepper. Sad News of Lee Bennett also known to many as Lucky Lee. Has had an accident in his workshop on Thursday 17th January, he was rushed to hospital and was on life support. Unfortunately on Friday he lost the fight.

He was a great character and an excellent craftsman of leather work and blade maker and knife maker. I was fortunate to have some of his work.

His has left behind a wife and three children, and many family.

Here is a copy of the announcement from FunkyPrepper.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I am so sorry to hear of this.
He was far too young to go so soon, and I can only offer heartfelt sympathies for his family and friends over such a loss.

Lee was very able, very creative, his work is superb, and like many others on the forum I too have some of his work that pleases me very much.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi everyone....i just heard the news and had to come to pay homage to one of the most talented craftsmen i've ever met....in fact i'd be hard pressed to name anyone better....across-the-board talent in every way, hugely creative, knowlegeable and extremely clever.

when i first joined bcuk he influenced me as a bushcrafter and when i became a leathersmith he continued to influence me. i always aspired to his level of perfection and looked at his work with envy and respect....his ability to produce a flood of amazing commissions week after week never failed to blow me away....he had already smashed stuff back then that i'm even yet to tackle today.....i remember his hold-all....his multicarry....his insulin-machine case....just his stitching alone was a thing of beauty.....everything he ever did just raised the bar higher and higher to tell the truth.

i barely knew him and met him just a few times at shows, always friendly and smiling....the second time we met he very nicely pointed out a weak area in my work (which i took a bit hard lol) but the truth is that from that day on i implemented his advice and since then have done so on every piece of my work....he literally added something into my life and i became a better leathersmith for having known him.....that mustve been about 6 years ago now and every time i carry out the procedure in my remaining years i'll think of him.

i'm absolutely gutted about whats happened and i know he brought a lot of happiness and pleasure into peoples lives....

rip leather-brother and a big hug to his family....

regards and respect,

sonni x

Reactions: Anzia

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts go out to all those family and friends he leaves behind.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Sadly I never met the man, but we did a bit of buying and selling and a more decent and straightforward bloke I've yet to meet. A wonderful craftsman, even his one-off commissions always looked as though he'd made hundreds of them to have them to his standards.

I'm very sorry indeed to hear this news and my thoughts go out to his nearest and dearest.

Rest in peace, Lucky Lee, you will not be forgotten.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
My thoughts go to his family, an awful shock to them.

do you know what happened ?
From what I have heard he had an accident while using a buffing machine. Those things can grip and launch what ever you are polishing very easily.

RIP Lee.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE