Saami Handwork - Part Three

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Following on from Part One and Part Two.

This is the bit a lot of you may have been waiting for, knives and cups seem to be the parts of Saami craft work that have most readily crossed into wider scale modern usage.

(I have added what I think are the Saami names for some of these items. I could be wrong about these words, languages is not one of my strong points so if anyone knows better please let me know.)

There are many modern makers of horn knives and kuksa but here are a few older examples that I have seen in museums and collections.

Saami-12.jpg
Saami-13.jpg
Saami-43.jpg
Saami-42.jpg
Saami-41.jpg
Saami-1.jpg

The Sami often carry two knives, the smaller puukko {buiku or unna niibaš} and the larger leuku {stuorra niibi}.

A distinctive feature of these knives is the decorated reindeer horn sheath which leads to them often being called horn or antler knives. (Half horn in these cases.)

Saami-11.jpg
Saami-9.jpg
Saami-10.jpg

There are a number of different sized and shaped traditional cups and scoops, all with different names and made for a particular purpose.

I believe these three are all drinking cups but I may be wrong about the third one.

In most of Scandinavia these are commonly referred to as Kuksa but I think one of the Saami names is actually {Gukse}

Saami-34.jpg
Wooden bottles like these are traditionally used to carry salt. I have no idea what these are called.

And finally for all you spoon carvers out there we have a selection of horn and antler spoons.{Coarvebaste}.

Saami-18.jpg

Hope you enjoy them.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats just grand Wayland.

How old are these things, what part of lapland do they come from and in what collection??

lisa

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
Lake District
Wow, stunning! Thanks for sharing Wayland. Which museums and collections did you visit? I am curious as I will be in Scandinavia conducting research for 3 - 6 months next year and it would be great to see these collections :).

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Stunning work there Wayland. Thanks for sharing it with us as I doubt many of us will ever get a chance to see it for themselves

Out of curiousity, what's the 'T' implement next to the sheath with the hearts?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thats just grand Wayland.

How old are these things, what part of lapland do they come from and in what collection??

Wow, stunning! Thanks for sharing Wayland. Which museums and collections did you visit? I am curious as I will be in Scandinavia conducting research for 3 - 6 months next year and it would be great to see these collections :).

I couldn't read many of the labels so I'm a bit fuzzy on dates and locations. I visited Museums in Oslo, Bergen, Tromso and The Saami museum in Karasjok which was superb.

Having said that, some of the items displayed are in the Pitt Rivers museum in Oxford so not too far to go.

Stunning work there Wayland. Thanks for sharing it with us as I doubt many of us will ever get a chance to see it for themselves

Out of curiousity, what's the 'T' implement next to the sheath with the
hearts?

That's from Pitt Rivers and their display is arranged thematically which means that items of the same purpose or made with the same techniques are displayed together no matter where they come from.

It makes for a fascinating collection but if memory serves me correctly, that was an Inuit knife for cutting seal blubber. The blade is going out of picture at the top.

Lovely work thanks for posting, I can never see too many of these.

I just love the scrim reindeer on this one.

Funny you should mention that, I'm working on a needle case. {Nallo Goahti} and I'm intending to use a reindeer motif on that when it's done.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I keep on meaning to go to the Pitt Rivers but have never got around to it.

Everyone who has been says its fantastic though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE