Saami Handcrafts - Part One

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Following on from some of my other posts about Saami equipment I thought I would post up a few of the pictures I have acquired over the years of Saami stuff in museums and ethnographic collections.

Firstly I apologise for the quality, they are mostly taken through glass under difficult lighting conditions but I hope you enjoy seeing them as much as I did.

So, lets start with a bit of belt kit.

Saami-19.jpg

Belts were often woven on simple looms like this.

Saami-21.jpg

Strong but also decorative.

Saami-20.jpg

Belt buckles were sometimes made of antler.

Saami-2.jpg

And pouches made from Reindeer skin.

Saami-32.jpg

A backpack also of reindeer hide.

Saami-40.jpg

Hope they give you some ideas.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Great pics mate.

Must really read thread titles properly... was wondering where the handcuffs were.. :D

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Great post this is very interesting, Wayland do you have a Youtube account? Your wealth of knowledge would be far better in video as opposed to pictures :)
Can you give a few more details on that loom it looks very interesting!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Excellent pics, I love Saami tools and equipment, especially their scrimshaw and carving work on reindeer antler.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Great post this is very interesting, Wayland do you have a Youtube account? Your wealth of knowledge would be far better in video as opposed to pictures :)
Can you give a few more details on that loom it looks very interesting!

I do have a tube account but I trained as a stills man so I feel more comfortable with that medium.

I'm not an expert on weaving, hopefully someone like Toddy will be along soon but I thought the multiple holes in the Heddle were interesting.

Saami-16.jpg

This one had three.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lovely stuff :D

I'm trying to work out how the hang they manage those heddle leashes on the floating warps ??

That simple loom is actually a very complex warp up. The carved heddles are beautiful :D

Where's Humblebumble when I need him ??

cheers,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Think of weaving as over under, over under, yes ?
The next pass is under over, under over.

All a loom does is let the weaver lift all the overs up far enough to get the weaving thread, the weft, through between the overs and unders all at once, but more importantly it also lifts all the under threads up through the spaces between the over ones, so that that space (the shed) can be woven too.

That's what the carved heddle is doing.

However, if you look at the top picture the red and blue threads of the warp, the ones that make the pattern, aren't part of the basic underlying under over, under over, threads. They're lying on top (or under) the main warp. These are called floating warps and they are lifted and pulled down usually individually, but on that loom they're taken through string loops (string heddles called heddle leashes) and somehow the weaver has warped up with them in pattern. I think they're tied in bundles, but I'm not sure how they're manipulated.

Is that any clearer ?

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm.......okay. The carved heddle is weaving the basic over under, over under cream linen? belt.
The red and blue threads are being woven through that basic weave to create a pattern.

The red and blue threads aren't being worked using the carved heddle, but by pulling them up or down using the string leashes.

Is that any clearer ?

cheers,
M

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hmmm.......okay. The carved heddle is weaving the basic over under, over under cream linen? belt.
The red and blue threads are being woven through that basic weave to create a pattern.

The red and blue threads aren't being worked using the carved heddle, but by pulling them up or down using the string leashes.

Is that any clearer ?

cheers,
M

I'm getting that bit but like you I'm struggling to work out how they get the pattern from those floating warps?
4166.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE