Rustlers Burgers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As we are now onto education, I'm a great believer in the older system of Grammar Schools and Secondary Schools. The system in place now (unless your lucky) seems based on dumbing all subjects down to a point that youngsters can jump for joy clutching all but worthless pieces of paper that say they have got top marks in a dozen subjects :( You can't 'challenge' a child, put pressure on them to work etc then they go home to a parent or sometimes parents who themselves went through the same system; we end up with the blind leading the blind.

07:00 so have to dash and cook something substantial for the wife, she is giving a talk to student nurses today and will need all her energy I'm sure ;)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
As we are now onto education, I'm a great believer in the older system of Grammar Schools and Secondary Schools. The system in place now (unless your lucky) seems based on dumbing all subjects down to a point that youngsters can jump for joy clutching all but worthless pieces of paper that say they have got top marks in a dozen subjects :( You can't 'challenge' a child, put pressure on them to work etc then they go home to a parent or sometimes parents who themselves went through the same system; we end up with the blind leading the blind.

07:00 so have to dash and cook something substantial for the wife, she is giving a talk to student nurses today and will need all her energy I'm sure ;)

What evidence and experience have you for this?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's called 'respect', and on paper sounds a good idea. Respect the child......pity that all too often the child does not reciprocate and their behaviour is re-enforced by parential attitude.

We end up with situations like that cretin who punched the teenager the other day because she didn't 'respect' him enough :sigh: and thugs who demand it as a right, when nothing in their behaviour, manner or lifestyle warrants it.

I agree with Earthgirl; and teachers and schools can only try to widen the world, to give the opportunity for and to encourage education.
As the old saying goes, "You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

M

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Historically the older generation has always denigrated the younger generation - looked back on halcyon days when things were better, when kids respected their elders. I feel sorry for those kids that do try, do respect and do work hard. They are the vast majority and the media treats them and their parents unfairly. This isn't a new phenomenon - it happens with every generation going way back.

It may interest people to know we're currently ranked 6th in terms of quality of education in the world:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20498356
So it can't be that bad.

If you are part of the older generation, with full salary pensions, free education and retirement at a decent age then think how lucky you are.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I recall a parent of some kids in our village (a family transplanted from the "Saff Eest" as I recall...) going door to door asking how to make real (ie not packet) gravy ... it took a few door knockings to get the answer!
The daughter had had a meal with a family that believed in "real food" as opposed to "packet food" and had the revalation that"real food" tasted better.
The mother had the revalation that real gravy (meat juices, flour and veg water basically) is cheaper than packet gravy and tastes a lot better!
I have to tour around our local Tesco as part of my Mencap work (dont ask) and I am amazed to see "ready meals" there that have the same name as meals my mother used to make from left-overs and scraps - but at the same kind of price as a cheap roasting joint!
I was taught to cook by my mother (who was taught by her mother and to a lesser extent by her father who was a CSM in the KOSB - great curries thanks to his Indian service!), by the Scouts and by necessity.
I have to admit to getting a bit lazy on camps sometimes and using Rat Pack and LWWF meals (only bought when cheap though!) but I am still able to dig into my memory and create meals from scratch.
I was never taught cooking at school - but education should never stop at the school gates!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What evidence and experience have you for this?

I helped my own children with their 'O' level work and assure you it was nowhere near as in depth as mine were forty years before. I've worked with youngsters who really can barely read and write let alone fill in an application form etc. Two good friends of mine have recently taught in Zimbabwe and Hong Kong, teaching there is 'old fashioned' front of class stuff and what shocked them both was that it worked. I've noted that recently some schools are switching over to the International Baccalaureate which is a step in the right direction IMHO.

Back on track again, I just came back from town and noticed pouches of 'creamy mash' in my local Iceland store, boil in the bag or nuke it :( Anyway I've also been to the Doctors for my test results, BP is fine, uric acid is fine as is my cholesterol so I'm off to make brunch and fry some dry cured bacon and eggs in lard, crusty bread all washed down with a tankard of Guinness :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its funny how when I say that we should have an educational system like in Asia, people start telling me that they do not want their kids to live in school...

...(Nor to have to pay for a private tutor on top like many Asian parents do these days)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE