Rucksack wanted....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Hi, I'm after a good ruck sack for day trips and staying over in the woods for a couple of nights. I'll be carrying a tarp, various clothes, small cooking stove etc, etc.... I have to admit to being a bit of a kit tart and don't mind paying for quality. I was going to buy an Osprey 'Kestrel' as featured in country walking but I'm just wondering what you hardened bushcraft types are using.

Thank in advance.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
well if you REALLY dont mind paying you could go for a lowe alpine saracen. its what i use. its massive, and brilliantly built and comfy. but this is overkill unless you carry a lot of kit and/or go out for long trips. the smaller lowe alpine mili packs such as the stingray etc will probably suit you better.
but there really are a lot of options. use this forums search function to see previous threads dealing with packs. there is already a wealth of info on them. things to look for would be. is it comfy. is it well constructed. will it hold your kit. is it green :)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I always give same advice that you should try some on in a shop with weight.

That's what I always used to say. I went out on a limb with the Kifaru and until I put weight in it I didn't really see where the £360 went..........:eek:

What you have to understand is that at least once a year I spend 4 days straight in the mountains with 60lbs on my back, which is sure to increase now the kids are likely to be able to join me soon.

I always used to say spend good money on your boots and your bed - if you aren't in one, you're in the other, but I'd have to add bags to that, 'cos your boots and bed are normally in it.

I use the Karrimor Sabre 45 with PLCE side pockets. I'd definitely recommend you add it to your list of consdierations & check out the reviews of it (mostly favourable IIRC).

It's not quite as expensive as the Kifaru, but not cheap either.

Happy shopping.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Kifaru are very good, if a little heavy. If you want something that is lighter and sourced closer to home, it's worth having a look at Aiguille Alpine sacks. Despite appearances, they can be made in olive green and are superb.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
If money's no objection, you should definitely consider the Arc'Teryx Bora as well. Most comfy with heavy loads, top notch quality! Up there with the best!

The Bora comes in sizes from 35l, through 50l, 65l, 80l and 95l.

I've got a Bora 95 which is so roomy, it doubles as a bivy bag :D

Mike

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
oh it has to be the Karrimor Sabre 45, awesome rucksack.#

Trust me you will not be disapointed.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Carrying-stuff/Karrimor-Sabre-45-Rucksack.html

And here is a trick that will save you money and time:

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=95&products_id=95 Buy this Berghaus Cyclops as well, it's only 50 Pounds, BUT you will be able to use the Sidepockets from the Cyclops with #
the karrimor Sabre 45 (the Sabre 45 comes without sidepockets and they cost you I believe 20Pounds each) so this way you get another bag (for friends or as a backup) and can use the sidepockets on both.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
oh it has to be the Karrimor Sabre 45, awesome rucksack.#

Trust me you will not be disapointed.

No, but you might have a little wait. The small sabres are only just coming back in stock after a bit of dry spell. Karrimor SF (aka PRI) are only getting them in later on this week.

the karrimor Sabre 45 (the Sabre 45 comes without sidepockets and they cost you I believe 20Pounds each)

£27.50 and the price is for a pair.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE