Rucksack advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trod

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2011
Wigan
Hi , I'm thinking of buying a large capacity rucksack in the near future , I've just had a knee op ( yesterday) so in a while ! I want 80 / 90l , preferably olive and I'm 5,8 so not the longest back . Any suggestions ? Thanks

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
+ 1 for the Berghaus Vulcan, I loved mine and it never let me down once, great sturdy bit of kit. You can get them in different backsizes too. A lot of people on here like The Karrimor SF range as well. Good luck with your recovery.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
+1 for Vulcan Crusader and my first Bergen, the Roc (rare now). If budget isn't an issue I heartily recommend the karrimor sf line; comfy and hard wearing - you won't be disappointed!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The Karrimor SF Sabre is an excellent pack generally IMO, I have the 80-130 in Olive. It excels at carrying heavy loads and the adjustable back will fit just about anyone but the lack of a floating lid can remove a little flexibilty in packing.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I hope you won't mind me posting this; it's meant in the best of intentions :)

If you've just had knee surgery of any description and you intend to carry 80 plus L., I suggest you invest in a good pair of walking poles and learn how to use them properly; my orthopeadic consultant has told me that without doubt they're the best thing you can ever do for your body in general and your knees in particular. He says that it's beyond doubt that used properly they'll take 30% of the load and be of major benefit.

Of course being an educated and wise member of this august forum, you probably know all this :)

Trod

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2011
Wigan
I hope you won't mind me posting this; it's meant in the best of intentions :)

If you've just had knee surgery of any description and you intend to carry 80 plus L., I suggest you invest in a good pair of walking poles and learn how to use them properly; my orthopeadic consultant has told me that without doubt they're the best thing you can ever do for your body in general and your knees in particular. He says that it's beyond doubt that used properly they'll take 30% of the load and be of major benefit.

Of course being an educated and wise member of this august forum, you probably know all this :)
Your concern is duly noted and appreciated . I'm not planning anything that big for some time but its probably a very good idea regardless , I have used poles in the past and not really been able to get along with them ! Maybe time for another try !

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Splash out £80 ona pair of Pacer poles - they really are the dog's danglers! I too tried so many times and just couldn't get on with poles, but after the advice from the consultant I invested in these and I've never looked back - they really work and make a huge difference, very different way of going from the "normal" poles!

Give 'em a google and you'll see the difference in design :)

Trod

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2011
Wigan
Hmmm interesting ! Certainly look better than the last ones I had and suppose I could tie the dog t my belt . Cheers

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I always take one pole with me, I couldn't get on with two. And I must say I find it invaluable when carrying a heavy load for rough terrain, stiles etc. and for the fact you can you use them to string out your basha.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Or if you can find one a Lowe Alpine Sting is a brilliant pack!! I've a camo one but there are olive versions around.. It's not made any more but I guess you can find them on ebay etc...
Cheers
Gareth

Are you sure about that? I know they stopped making the "Stingray" but I thought the "Sting" was still in production?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I absolutely agree with Mac, lots of others will to. Poles really, really help-especially with big packs and health issues.

There's has been some uni studies conducted in the UK on hiking poles and the numbers are eye-opening. Part of the findings IIRC were that using one pole instead of two caused an imbalance and promoted back pain. Also didn't reduce the shock loading to the knees, whereas 2 had a noticable effect on reducing impact shock. I have to say that when I've lent a pole out to mates in the hills on dodgy bits, I've felt my back twinge a few times (a long term back injury) where I have never had it with 2 poles.

Trod

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2011
Wigan
Right I'm sold . After the op ! and the pain I've been in for years I've resolved that if its been successful that I will get out and start doing the things I've been meaning to do ! If poles will help and make it possible then so be it . Thanks guys for the advice , its been invaluable and eye opening , added a whole new facet and no pun intended crutch to lean on !

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
As Pete says, two poles are a must; just using one can actually be very bad and cause more damage through setting up an imbalance. It's crucial to get the right rhythm and method with them and the best and clearest explanation is the "how to" on the Pacer site. All the best with your recovery.:)

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
In agreement on poles chap; I used to laugh at them when they came out but borrowed a pair to try in Glencoe and was smitten! Huge help on the up, kneesaver on the down and make a huge noticeable difference with loads. I sometimes feel they improve my pace and speed. Excellent for rocky terrain, I always feel a bit like an insect!
My advice would be to get a pair of snow baskets from the off as they improve displacement in mud and sand and funnily, snow! Never without them in the last 7 yrs; an excellent place to keep duct tape for repairs.
The one negative? The lower section can snap if stuck in cracks, aluminium sections are stronger and Leki do a complete range of spares; had mine from the off but replaced the lower sections twice now.
They do take practice to use correctly, but fairly way to get used to

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
as for a decent sack (not that i'm getting the thread back on track, lol), lowe alpine have started doing the alpamayo again. the older model, circa 1995, was superb, if not a tad garish. mine is still going strong. I don't know if the new model is in olive but, for comfort and quality, they are a great bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE