Rucksack advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Get yourself along to a Meet, there will be plenty to try, all different back sizes too:

berghaus9.jpg

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I hope you won't mind me posting this; it's meant in the best of intentions :)

If you've just had knee surgery of any description and you intend to carry 80 plus L., I suggest you invest in a good pair of walking poles and learn how to use them properly; my orthopeadic consultant has told me that without doubt they're the best thing you can ever do for your body in general and your knees in particular. He says that it's beyond doubt that used properly they'll take 30% of the load and be of major benefit.

Of course being an educated and wise member of this august forum, you probably know all this :)

As a sufferer from osteo-arthritis I second that in spades. It's not so much that you need to take your weight on the poles, but they give you extra stability so you are much less likely to twist or put sideways forces on the joints which is what does the damage.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I should use a pair of poles to help my knees and back - unfortunately I suffer with my wrists, elbows and shoulders as well and using poles aggravates those problems!

Trod

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2011
Wigan
Spoke to a mate today who says he has a large olive rucksack in his garage that he's never used and doesn't know where it came from that I can have even if I don't use it ! I'm going round later to pick it up and see what it is ? I'll let you all know what it is , that's if its identifiable !

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I should use a pair of poles to help my knees and back - unfortunately I suffer with my wrists, elbows and shoulders as well and using poles aggravates those problems!

John, I too have very severe problems with my hands and wrists, three lots of surgery this past twelve months, but the Pacer poles are really good as they utilise a different system in terms of how you hold them; hardly any pressure required from the hands at all, and the hands are sort of "sideways on" to the direction of support and so place almost no strain on wrists and forearms. The idea is that it's your core muscles and shoulders that do the work and provide the support.

Perhaps they'd like a review by somebody with a track record? :)

Trod

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2011
Wigan
Picked up the rucksack , its big ! No name on it but inside the lid its marked 978-5360 RUCKSACK LONG SL32A/5260 CWL 1990 ,

Trod

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2011
Wigan
Googling the elements you give it looks likea PLCE issue bergen from 1990... Will be big and strong, so if in good nick, I think you're in luck.....

cheers
Gareth
Looks in great nick , all zippers working well and buckles . Despite it saying its long I've tried it on and it seems to fit well , also it looks like there is some sort of provision for adding side pouches, will have to see if I can track some down . Result ! Thanks for the info on the Ruck and advice on poles guys . Now to get the knee healed and get out there ! I have a brand new pair of Lundhags waiting to be broke in too after a bargain heads up from this great font of knowledge

garethw

Settler
Looks in great nick , all zippers working well and buckles . Despite it saying its long I've tried it on and it seems to fit well , also it looks like there is some sort of provision for adding side pouches, will have to see if I can track some down . Result ! Thanks for the info on the Ruck and advice on poles guys . Now to get the knee healed and get out there ! I have a brand new pair of Lundhags waiting to be broke in too after a bargain heads up from this great font of knowledge

If as I suspect is an old issue bergen you should not have any problem getting a pair of side pockets for it... many models are PLCE standard... Try a local surplus store, or Endicotts often has them...
I find the side pockets really useful for cooking stuff, hammock and tarp etc and any thing I might needt to get at without emptying the main pack...

Enjoy your pack..
cheers
Gareth

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
There are side pockets for trade/sale on the forum at the moment; the Lowe Alpine ones will fit as well. Have a look :)

Trod

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2011
Wigan
If as I suspect is an old issue bergen you should not have any problem getting a pair of side pockets for it... many models are PLCE standard... Try a local surplus store, or Endicotts often has them...
I find the side pockets really useful for cooking stuff, hammock and tarp etc and any thing I might needt to get at without emptying the main pack...

Enjoy your pack..
cheers
Gareth
Cheers , I'm already on the hunt !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE