Rowan Berries.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've bought rosehip syrup in ikea before now. It's much cheaper than healthfood shops... that is if you can even find it in them. Nowhere else seems to sell it.
I can't be bothered to make it anymore. My back has enough problems without standing there for hours trying to prepare the hips and making the syrup. Cheating I know but needs must sometimes.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
They sell rh syrup now?
They used to sell the old fashioned/ classic r.h. drink and r.h. ‘soup’.

The ‘soup’ is an ancient dessert, Vit C. Before Vit C was invented they did various fruit desert soups..

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Rosehip syrup was a wartime staple here. It provided much needed VitaminC in a land that doesn't grow citrus fruits.
Strangely the further north a fruiting plant, like rasps or blackcurrants or rosehips, grow, the higher the levels of VitaminC.
M

Sea Buckthorn berries were harvested here, as an important source of vitamin C. But as in the name, they are a coastal resource.
After eating the first few to get used to the tartness, they have a very pleasant flavour. I tried my first at the moot in '09.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Spent the morning straining the juice through coffee filters, (it strained much faster this time) but it didn't improve the clarity.
The pound and a half of berries and apples and the juice of a large lemon, have yielded a pint and a quarter of juice ready for final boiling.
According to the recipe I now add 15oz of sugar, then boil for 10 - 15 mins. Wish me luck. :)
IMG_20190919_082901.jpg

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's the stuff :) Looks clean and shiny too :) and isn't the colour good ?
I hope you enjoy the taste, I think of it like a homegrown bitter marmalade sort of thing..

I might persuade Himself to pick some of our Rowans this afternoon. I have masses of apples and pears just now to use up. I think the jelly made with apples is much much better than that made with only Rowans.

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That looks lovely.
I'm glad to know about the coffee filters not making much difference. I was set to buy some, but as I don't have coffee it would have been a waste of money for me. As I said someone gave me that tip but I'd never tried it due to lack of filters.
I'll stick to my jelly bags.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You can buy the food substance in wine shops to clear that flocculated cloudiness.
Mix it up, stir it in and wait. Pulls it all to the bottom.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I love rosehip soup in winter! But DH prefers blueberry soup, so we usually have that.

In kindergarten, we used to go out once a year and pick enough rosehips for the cook to make her own soup. There was a certain amount of itching powder being sourced by us kids at the same time.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I have never tasted home made rosehip or blueberry soup. Only the commercial one.
My kindergarden or school cooks were just 'food warmers'.
Mandeltorsk, remember that one?

Or tasted homemade whatevertheyrecalled tiny bisquits ( almondey) you put inside.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I have never tasted home made rosehip or blueberry soup. Only the commercial one.
My kindergarden or school cooks were just 'food warmers'.
Mandeltorsk, remember that one?

Or tasted homemade whatevertheyrecalled tiny bisquits ( almondey) you put inside.
It's actually really easy, especially with frozen blueberries and you can decide how much sugar/sweetening you want.

Do you mean mandelbiskvier? That's what we used to get in the rosehip soup.

I haven't had mandeltorsk in years!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, mandelbiskvier...
I need to try to make blueberry soup, here we can buy frozen ‘real’ ( not the tasteless US blueberries which are a different berry) blueberries.

I did find a recipe for Mandel torsk ( Almond Cod) so made it.
Was not bad, but there are better ways to cook cod.

Mom used to serve Rowan-apple jelly, Apple sauce or Lingonberry sauce with every meat dish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE