Roselli or Helle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

roibica

Apr 8, 2009
Bucharest
I want to buy a new knife ... my budget is around 50 pounds

in my country (Romania) I can buy a Roselli Hunting knife, Helle Eggen or a Helle Fjellbekk

What do you think ?

I am sorry for my pour english

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Hi there!
Why not go to the introductions and welcomes and tell us abit about yourself??

I don't know about the others but I know that the Helle Eggen is a very likable knife that alot of people get along with, it's a pretty safe best!

Don't worry about your English, it's better than most :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent customer service from Helle :approve: and I like and get a lot of use out of my Helle knife,

Roselli get a good rep too though.
Can you actually get to handle the knives ? See which one 'feels' the better fit ?

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. Your English is fine :)

roibica

Apr 8, 2009
Bucharest
I hope so, it's an online shop, but I thing that I will speak with the dealer We are from the same city so I think that we could meet, so I could handel the knife first

Bmatt

Sep 17, 2008
US/Finland
What do you think of Marttiini knifes ?

A lot of Marttiini knives could be called "budget" knives, because many are inexpensive and/or somewhat roughly finished. Then again, some of their knives also seem to be top notch (and expensive). I bought a "Kaamosjätkä", a.k.a. Black Lumberjack, for 15 Euros and reshaped and stained the handle to make it more to my liking. The carbon steel blade is absolutely razor sharp and I have not needed to sharpen it yet (I've used it on three trips so far). It is now my main small fixed-blade. So there are definitely some diamonds in the rough from Marttiini.

Is there any specific model you're looking at?

roibica

Apr 8, 2009
Bucharest
no, there is no specific model from marttiini. I was just asking about them because I've seen one in a store. I think I will go with a helle eggen.

any other ideas at the max price of 60 Euros ?

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
For near custom quality, you'd be hard pressed to do better than Roselli. I have the Hunter and Carpenter in their HC steel. It holds an edge like there's no tomorrow. When it needs a touch up, comes back with a strop in no time flat.

Sorry, but I have not experienced any Helle or Martini that even comes close to the forged steel quality you get with the Roselli in either of their steel blades. Don't waste your Euros on anything else.

My thoughts and first hand experience of course. Hell, you don't like it send it to me and I'll buy it from you, lol, yea, they're that good.

Best of luck with your choice whatever it may be. Happy cutting!

Bmatt

Sep 17, 2008
US/Finland
no, there is no specific model from marttiini. I was just asking about them because I've seen one in a store. I think I will go with a helle eggen.

any other ideas at the max price of 60 Euros ?

I'm with NJ re: the Roselli. I have his large leuku and it is fantastic. Chops and batons all day and holds a great edge.

roibica

Apr 8, 2009
Bucharest
It's hard to make a choice specially when I can buy just one of them. I must meet with the dealer, to see the knifes a fell the in my hand.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Vote for the Helle Egan,it took a real beating on a wilderness canoe trip in Sweden and came back for more! Great laminate blades that take a good edge and hold it,and easy to sharpen in the field with a DC4, Good ,comfortable handles too!
Let us know how you get on!
C da C.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I had to skin a deer a few weeks ago and played with all my knives at one go... bushcraft heaven! Out of the 5 knives I tried the best was a Dave Budd skinner, made to my design, the best comercial knife was the Roselli by far. So I would go for the Roselli, it out performed all the others, held its edge, was responsive in the hand and generally just felt 'right'.

Sandsnakes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE