Root Beer Extract

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
My wife wants to make some Root Beer and wants to know if anybody on the list knows where to get the extract. She assures me it will make a fine drink for her and the children when out and about camping in our 19th Century re-enactments. I usually just keep an Elderflower 'squash' in old stone bottles (which keep it nicely cool) but she wants to try making this and I can't find a supplier online.

Not really very bushcrafty but she figures enough on the list enjoy more traditional food and drink she may stand a chance.

Me, I'll stick to the beer or cider.

Richard

Last edited:

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Hi,
Unfortunately I cant add helpfully to this thread but I would love a recipe for this too!
Closest I can get to a half decent rootbeer is bundeberg from waitrose.
Bet not many here remember McD's doing rootbeer? LOL!

All the best
Dave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, got you. :)
Not native but analogous to our small ale or beer.

I thought Sassafrass was now considered bad for the liver :confused:

cheers,
Toddy

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I think most things are considered bad for SOMETHING these days!!

They still serve root beer in a chicken fast food joint that I forget the name of in the States! Last time I was in a mall in Tampa (having already eaten my fill of pretzel dogs to be fair) I discovered root beer along side chicken and fries and had to have the chicken and fries purely to justify the root beer .... you understand that of course? :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi,
Bet not many here remember McD's doing rootbeer? LOL!

All the best
Dave

Great shame when they stopped serving the stuff, I loved it. Sainsburys do a 2ltr bottle of it which was quite good stuff until I noticed recently it seemed a bit different and read the ingredients to find the maker had replaced the sugar with saccharin. I hate saccharin. It's still worth a try if you need a fix though.

Sorry, no great help to the original poster, just a nostalgic rant.

Fizzlebang

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2009
Surrey
I think without McD's selling root beer i would never have tried it...love the stuff and buy it now and again when i have nostalgic tendancies.
I know its probably frowned upon by root beer purists but I think its a great mixer for bourbon!
:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE