romantic bushcrafting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Find out (unless you already know) what her fav' food and drink are, tell her that unfortunatly she will have to put up with beans and rat packs, but secretly take her fav' and cook it for her, take a small bottle of champers for drink unless she does not like it.

Get some of those small chocolate mint things and put one on her pillow each night. but make sure she finds it before going to sleep.

Tell her how much you apreciate the fact that she is doing this just for you and ask her what she would like you to do for her!! ??

I hope the weather is good so you can sit out by a fire, watch the stars and just sit enjoying each others company and your surroundings.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Might I suggest going to someplace with a specific activity in mind (minds out of gutters folks :rolleyes: )
A weekend craft course, or something like canoeing, or a foraging course, or one of the Counrtyside led Ranger activities, with on site camping and reasonable, if primitive, facilities nearby can make it a lot less stressful trying to get to know someone than 24hours a day long weekend in the pouring rain.

And yes, make the nest comfortable, snuggling in the warm bedding when it's cold out is a brilliant feeling. The tipi's and the geodesic domes are special if you can find one, and they let you have a real fire inside (okay, in a stove, but it's real:D )

Maybe she who you think you'd like to get to listen to (new acronym:cool: SWYTYLTLT ) would like more involvement in the whole planning thing too.

I know I had a lot of fun courting (old fashioned word, but it kind of suits, doesn't it?) this way.....29 years married next month. :eek: it was a good way to learn to know each other properly as welll as totally chilling out.

atb,
Toddy

Jembly/Sloth

Dec 6, 2007
Appledore, Kent
Don't stay anywhere near habitation. You'll just get shouts of 'F*** Off', or 'get a room'.... :ban:

I need to rethink my dating plans, seems to have worked well for several people on here :thinkerg:

thanks for your ongoing hints and tips ladies and gentlemen, think i will investigate the possibilities of a foraging/wild foods course, and probably pinch most of w00dsmokes ideas(you sir are a genius but do i have to leave the barry white cd at home?)
having also followed In Woods advice i am now going to london for a weekend away.
thanks once again everyone
regards
Sam

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Find out when her monthlies are and make sure you don't take her that weekend. Anything that could be a downer on her first trip will be a downer, and most women hate that time of month. I would certainly wait until this grouchy weather passes by and maybe try and find an area that you know but she doesn't. Waking her up in the middle of the night with a "Ssssh...follow me!" and taking her to see some badgers snuffling about would probably work on any decent woman. Maybe you know where a family of foxes are living, or you can show her some deer or birds of prey flying about. Enough to impress any woman that is deserving a decent chap like yourself!

:D

spamel I had completely forgotten the dreaded monthlies (its been a while since I've had to consider that sorta thing) that in itself is a brilliant hint.
maybe I could take her on a guided nature walk I'm sure the local RSPB sanctuary does them, then I shant look a complete pillock when (not if) I make a boob n it wouldnt be as stressful to organise and i'll be able to fully enjoy her company rather than worry about if i remembered to forget to pack the second sleeping bag :)
might also give her the chance to realise that whilst she says she doesnt want or need facilities she does actually miss some
Many Thanks
Sam

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The one thing nobody's mentioned yet is BE YOURSELF! At the end of the day there's no point in pretending to be something that's not you; firstly because you're likely to come across as false, and secondly because at some stage she's going to have to find out what the real you is like :rolleyes:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
This is about as close to the outdoors as my wife likes to get!

100_1167.jpg

Sorry if it scares you! :D :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

hi all
apologies for not thanking you for all your advice sooner,
we have only been on a few walks as the waether hasnt been to great.
its going very well apart from me finding out her dad is ex forces so she grew up doing outdoorsy stuff lil bit of a ground why arent you swallowing me up moment but she laughed it off, she also makes a blinding cup of tea on a crusader cooker :)
thanks once again for your help ladies and gentlemen
Sam

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Damn Greg i still haven't got over the first time i saw that pic, i kept having dreams your wife was chasing me with an axe :lmao:

Oh well, back to therapy i guess ;)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I was in that position a few years ago and now I'm married! :p

Top tips...
prepare for the worst-it could rain all the time so beg borrow a tent which is big enough for her to dress in and with a porch to cook in...
Double air bed...insulate it with a blanket or pile throw, she'll appreciate it.
Use a duvet, or unzip both bags zip em togther and use a s aquilt with a throw on top
Take pillow cases and stuff them with clothes for pillows
Burn inscense sticks in the porch (she'll fall for that one ;)
Give her a small bag with some nice stuff in it, like goretex socks, wet wipes, tissues, mini toochbrush etc she'll appreciate the love man
Buy her a shewee...
Nowe for the nice and easy part...get a canoe, paddle to a remote island on a loch, put the champagne in the loch to cool it down while u set up the tent and airbed.
Get a fire going on the beach in a pit if it's dry...impress her with your cooking and have your own island all to yourselves.
Take her for a moonlit paddle around the island at night before you start drinking!
Make her laugh/comfy and chilled out...yeagh and leave the barry white cd at home...:rolleyes:

What he said !!:You_Rock_

D

dboles

I dont know might lead to this.
A man was fishing on the side of a lake when he noticed a man and wife fishing from a boat.Thats great he thought and hollered out".Hey How do you get your wife to go fihing with you" The answer from the boat was "How do you get yours to stay home"
Dan'l

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I got my wife, a City girl into camping,( if not Bushcraft,) at Rannoch which could not be much more basic, the year after we got married. That was 36 years ago and we are still camping in our 70s along with other holidays. She still maintains that all she seeks is a
water tap and a means of heating water, and she is happy. I do hope that you are as lucky. We could not have had worse weather on that first holiday, and I thought, well, that is the last of the camping, but not so. I dont know about Hammocks for couples especially in the early years, but we always found small mountain tents the best for heat, and feeling romantic. I find that I have to Hammock on my own , but she is happy to B and B nearby., Still camping in the summer months. My wife has happily watched small
shrews and field mice, running around under the polythene sheet we have under the outer
cooking area, something I would have never anticipated. Here's to a happy life sharing the out doors one way or the other. Cheers Stuart.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
she is well aware what she is letting herself into i have warned her quite a bit but she says she's happy to rough it,
i had debated the one sleeping bag trick but thought she might figure out it was a sneaky plan or worse claim it as hers n me freeze in middle of night!
Sam

Then you just mention all the wild Bears, Cougars and such so you can bed down to "protect" her!!
I'm always thinking.....!

I got my wife, a City girl into camping,( if not Bushcraft,) at Rannoch which could not be much more basic, the year after we got married. That was 36 years ago and we are still camping in our 70s along with other holidays. My wife has happily watched small
shrews and field mice, running around under the polythene sheet we have under the outer
cooking area, something I would have never anticipated. Here's to a happy life sharing the out doors one way or the other. Cheers Stuart.

:You_Rock_ Now that is a success. This is a great compromise...along with other holidays. you have hit the nail on the head with that. I hope I live into my 70's and have that many years camping with my wife. You are an inspiration.

I'm just recovering from a severe cae of laberynthitis, this is my 4th week off work, my doc reluctantly signed me back to work for a couple of days so I can enjoy my annual leave next week. A log cabin on a remote corner of a loch in the west coast. Comfort for my good lady and in a wild place for us both to enjoy. I'd prefer the tipii but hey it's a compromise!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE