Roll-up toboggans - anyone got some pics?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
google is your friend.

IMG_6263.JPG

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Ah - the baby one! Thanks, but was thinking more of the bigger versions that were used for serious load carries, like the Black River toboggans, or the home-made versions thereof. Lots of pictures of them in use, but can't find ones with them rolled-up for transportation.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Thanks Robbi - hadn't got to that part of the Black river sleds website yet! Pity there's little indication of diameter there, but guess I can work it out from the length. Rough guess at 20 inches diameter and about 14" thick. Cheers!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks Robbi - hadn't got to that part of the Black river sleds website yet! Pity there's little indication of diameter there, but guess I can work it out from the length. Rough guess at 20 inches diameter and about 14" thick. Cheers!

Hi AndyBB,

I was involved in THIS group by which fell through last year. I think the mimimum order is for 3 people. I saw your post on toboggans, are you interested in going thirds on one of these?

Im wanting to build one as well.

Cheers, Dave

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I was involved in THIS group by which fell through last year. I think the mimimum order is for 3 people. I saw your post on toboggans, are you interested in going thirds on one of these?

Im wanting to build one as well.

I'm still interested in said group buy. Which means we now have 3 people...

J

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
At the very bottom HERE is a quote for 3mm HDPE natural sheet 3000x1500x3mm

£58.12 [£69.74 inc VAT]

Would 3mm HDP be thick enough?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
My googling suggests we can get it from http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/ It's 108.50 including shipping, for a 3mm thick 3000mm x 1500mm sheet. What's really useful is it looks like they will cut to size, for free. So we could get them to cut it length wise into 3000mm x 500mm lengths. Then it's just a case of rolling them up, taping them, and having a courier pick them up...

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just checked, if we did this, UK shipping (DPD) is £5.99 per 3000mm x 500mm length (assuming it rolls up to <500mm diameter. That would make it 36.17 + 5.99 per boggan... if 6 of us do it, we bring it down to £34.50 + £5.99 per boggan...

If it's of use, I'm happy to run it as a group buy, but it wouldn't ship until the 24th of September at the latest due to work.

Thoughts?

J

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
You go ahead, saves me a headache...:)

Count me in. As Imagedude says though, the ultra high mwpe stuff is better than the HDPE

Here is a vid which springs to mind;

[video=youtube;w3x-ETO8B44]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3x-ETO8B44[/video]

Direct plastics dont have the uhmwpe in 3mm.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Oh, thats good then. Sorry I didnt see post number 13. If there is a choice between white and black, Id prefer white. Just blends in better. Anyone else got a preference?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I was going to go for black, to make it easier to find in the snow.. As long as we do it all in multiples of 3, we can mix things easily enough.

J

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh, Id still prefer white, but will go with the majority opinion. [Black'll do if it has to] I think this is the third or fourth time I've gone after some of that stuff on here!
Still dont have any. Lets make this one work. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE