Roger C Linger Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Young Bushman said:
The thing is Bill, the knife is similar to the Woodlore but there are differences in the design and yet he is saying that that exact knife was originally designed by Ray Mears which it wasn't. Ok maybe he is genuinely giving Ray credit or maybe he's using the similarities to his advantage because he knows people are going to buy it if they think it was designed by Ray Mears.
I seriously doubt that an american maker is going to know who Ray Mears is and if he did know ...... I doubt he would give a flying fig who he was or what his opinion is ... I think that the American concept of living in the wilderness and the Ray mears concept is so distant from each other .. that he probably saw a knife that someone had asked him if he could make something like it and he went ahead in ignorance ... personally .. I think it looks like an improvement ... good luck to him

as you pointed out, Martyn ... there isn't nothing new under the sun ... everyone gets copied ..... I consider it a compliment .. I did a forge finished knife on BB and soon afterwards ... another person did a knife very similar ... I just smiled and chuckled to myself :wink:

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
oh and Steven ..... don't worry about it... some of the knifeys can get like that and Martyn is well known for getting out of the bed the wrong side occasionally ;)

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Simon said:
II think that the American concept of living in the wilderness and the Ray mears concept is so distant from each other ..

What, you mean like Mors Kochanski?

(and before anybody leaps on that - what continent is Canada on? :D :p )

Then there's Christine Kochanski, but not so much for bushcraft.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Yep I know when a well known person designs somthing his/hers fans are going to want copies of that made for them. However I was just pointing out that this guy says his knife is designed originally by ray mears as the woodlore which it isn't because it is different . (There is evidence in the review thread on BladeForums to back this up)

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
steven andrews said:
Can. Worms.

This was not my intention - I just liked it.

I enjoy some healthy banter. As long as Martyn sees it the same, which I think he does then no worms in or out of a can. :wink:

It is good to discuss ideas. I think like simon that if Ray and Alan have more orders than they can fill for a year then they should be pleased they designed something so popular that people want to copy it. They have branched out with their WS partnership so fair play to other people for having a go at improvement on an original.

I think quite a few makers have made a one off copy of the woodlore for a customer but if that person just uses it and doesn't post pics on forums then who is the wiser but the 2 of them.

Oh and of interest I haven't heard anything from my email this afternoon and I think I read he's not making anymore. We shall see.

Bill

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
tenbears10 said:
I enjoy some healthy banter. As long as Martyn sees it the same, which I think he does then no worms in or out of a can. :wink:

It is good to discuss ideas. I think like simon that if Ray and Alan have more orders than they can fill for a year then they should be pleased they designed something so popular that people want to copy it. They have branched out with their WS partnership so fair play to other people for having a go at improvement on an original.

I think quite a few makers have made a one off copy of the woodlore for a customer but if that person just uses it and doesn't post pics on forums then who is the wiser but the 2 of them.

Oh and of interest I haven't heard anything from my email this afternoon and I think I read he's not making anymore. We shall see.

Bill

Oh TB, no sweat - as mushi has so kindly pointed out, I have a way of telling it that can come accross a bit on the forceful side sometimes. :eek:):

I dont state facts, just rationalise my views to the point where I'm confident - then I have a tendancy to state my opinion with a little too much emphasis - but hey - we all got our faults right?

The similarities between this knife and the Woodlore, are so evident in so many ways, that I'm as sure as i can be that either the maker or the customer had prior knowledge of the woodlore and copied it.

Whether that's anything to get upset abpout, I dunno. I do know makers get very protective of thier designs. Of course I dont include Mushi, because he's the enlightened being that proves the rule. :nana: :wink: :nana: . But for a large part of the knifemaking community, there seems to be an ethic which goes something like "by all means be inspired by my work, that is flattery, but dont copy it so closely that you turn flattery into forgery..." ...actually, I just made that up, but it does seem to say what I hear many makers say on the subject of imitation.

I have seen a couple of knives which are clearly inspired by the Woodlore - Trond's Felleskap is one of them....

trondfell2.jpg

...but while it's clearly inspired by the Woodlore style, it's also a significant departure in many ways. The blade shape and geometry are significantly different.

Whereas the aforementioned knife in this thread, looks as though someone has transcribed the dimensions and proportions directly from the woodlore. Whether or not the minor differences are an improvement, is irrelevant!

But whatever, it aint my beef. :wink:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I got a reply from my email and Roger can make more bushcraft knives. He has a small waiting list (even the copy has a waiting list) but is happy to take more orders.

I don't know if I can post prices here so pm if you want more info.

Bill

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
apart from stimulating a lively and interestig debate, Roger c Linger produces some very well made knives. The blade on the one shown is more akin to the Alan Wood bushcrafter as it is a subtle drop point as opposed to a spearpoint.
Personally I prefer the look of his knife and the quality speaks for itself :wink:

myakka

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2004
Colorado
www.freewebs.com
I'm the guy that had Roger make me these Bushcraft Blades. I have always been a fan of Ray Mears/Allan Woods Knives, but I Live in USA and live around Saltwater and wanted one in S30V. I also wanted afew other changes like a tapered tang. There is a very long wait for a Allan Wood knife and they are very expensive. I send Roger a email and a computer drawing of this knife. There was a project over on the Wilderness Surival Forum @ KnifeForums.com for a full tang scandi grind blade, called the OSF knife made by Nick Wheeler. I took this design and changed afew more items and ask Roger to make it for me. Roger knew nothing of the type of knife, or of Ray Mears. This was to be his first Scandi Grind. Sorry if I ruffed some peoples feathers, but I was looking for a special knife to take on a 7-day BOSS surival coarse and though this type of blade would work the best.

By the way, its one heck of a great blade, I really love the S30V steel.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Welcome to the forum myakka, it's good to have you. Thanks for letting us know situation with the knife. It looks like a very nice blade, it may be in the thread somewhere, but, how much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?

I hope that you spend some more time on bcuk and share some of your wisdom with us, the BOSS course sounds interesting, tell us more.

All the best

myakka

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2004
Colorado
www.freewebs.com
Thanks for the welcomes. The Knife was $195.00 U.S Dollars plus shipping. I Think it all depends on what material he uses and any extras you wnat. Since Roger made me the first one, I had him make my a 2nd one in Sambar Stag (Antler). The Antler knife was more because of the extra cost of the material. I have written a complete review of my BOSS survival course, I can post it here a bushcraftUK, if you would like.

Last edited:
R

rlinger

It feels kind of funny seeing your name in a thread tiltle. I was unaware of this thread until receiving an email today providing me a link. I wish to assure all that my intentions so far as giving proper credit for an idea was totally unselfish and believe it correct to refect credit where it is due. I did not want anyone to be under an illusion that I came up with the knife design on my own. Since making the first two bushcraft knives I have had an opportunity to view the Woodlore knife. It is not the same as the version I have been making. There are similarities but there are enough differences for me to believe it might be best to instead give credit to Myakka. In fact, it was some time before I understood he had made the changes on his own. When Myakka first sent me the drawing I did not realize he had customized the design. If he had told me it went over my head. Later, during a phone conversation, we discussed the changes he had incorporated and that is when I better understood the design origin.

Even more customizations are coming. I have one to start that will have recessed handle scales at end of tang for batoning upon it without damadging the scales. There is another that will have a very slight tang taper and a tang protrusion for use as a hammer. That one will be made of RWL-34 steel. For me it is the customer's desire. I continue to be motivated by ideas they can come up with that I would never think of.

It is correct that I do not make the sheath. I have Jamie Briggs make the sheaths for these knives. He specializes in sheath making for these type knives and I only concentrate on knife making and the heat treating of all my blades.

Thanks all.

Roger Linger

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE