Roadkill Cafe tv show !!

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Drennan, who describes himself as vegetarian, has said: "If you haven't seen or heard it being killed, and it's not been killed on your behalf, then it's okay.
That's bizarre, to say the least. :rolleyes:

I haven't eaten roadkill myself yet, but that's not to say I wouldn't try it. A word of warning though, many people are reluctant to eat roadkill as you can't know how the animal died. Was it poisoned? Had it been ill? Was it diseased?

Someone over at River Cottage reported a case where :

Someone found a road kill deer, still warm, took it home and fed it to his dogs, killed them, the deer had been put down by a vet and not marked.

Who knows? It might be true. Just a word of caution.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
had my first foray into roadkill on sunday, mate of mine noticed a muntjack on his way to work. We dropped by later and picked it up, neither having dressed out a deer before. He's done plenty wabbits and pheasants etc and my experience is limited to watching my grandad dress countless things as a nipper.
tad messy but ok. shared the meat with a friend, got a beaut leg in the freezer. going to roast that bad boy hot and fast with salt and pepper!
i can imagine the raod kill cafe would maybe inspire some, but to me, youre either ok with all that or not. its dodgy ground maybe, but so is the kebab van!

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
How later's "later"? I suppose the weather's pretty cold at the moment, but I'm fairly certain with meat for sale it has to be cooled quickly and various other things. I know this isn't for sale, but I suppose the hygiene aspects will be the same. Trust your nose.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
One has to be careful with roadkill, I'm sure; Striking a deer with your car (as we did about a month ago, and he was a handsome fellow) can burst internal organs and dirty the flesh, making it unsuitable for consumption. If we were meat eating sorts (quasi-veggies over here!) and had a truck, we might have loaded him up and made sausage out of him!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
scanker said:
Drennan, who describes himself as vegetarian, has said: "If you haven't seen or heard it being killed, and it's not been killed on your behalf, then it's okay.

That's bizarre, to say the least. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's that bizarre - the key being that it's "not been killed on your behalf", assuming that you regard buying meat from a butcher as the equivalent of commissioning the killing. As I understand it, that is the "official" Buddhist view - that it is wrong to intentionally kill an animal, or to commission its killing, but that there is nothing inherently wrong with eating it if it's already dead anyway. So you don't buy meat, but if you find yourself in company where meat is being eaten anyway, there is no reason not to partake.

I actually think it's an admirably sensible approach to vegetarianism. It's the killing that's the issue, not the eating. It's exactly the approach I took when I was a veggie.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
scanker said:
How later's "later"? I suppose the weather's pretty cold at the moment, but I'm fairly certain with meat for sale it has to be cooled quickly and various other things. I know this isn't for sale, but I suppose the hygiene aspects will be the same. Trust your nose.

Aah, but don't forget that meat can often be hung for a while before it gets to the shops or at least that's the theory - to keep costs low, meat is hung for less time now.

Obviously leaving it at the side of the road with it's innards is slightly different. :D
As you say, trust your nose!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
As I understand it, that is the "official" Buddhist view - that it is wrong to intentionally kill an animal, or to commission its killing, but that there is nothing inherently wrong with eating it if it's already dead anyway. So you don't buy meat, but if you find yourself in company where meat is being eaten anyway, there is no reason not to partake.
I know lots of people who have the same view about tobacco, I seem to work with buddhist smokers! ;)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
gregorach said:
I actually think it's an admirably sensible approach to vegetarianism. It's the killing that's the issue, not the eating. It's exactly the approach I took when I was a veggie.

I don't agree.

It's not the killing that should be the issue, but the manner in which the animals are reared and looked after.

It's a fact that the animals reared for meat are, on the whole, poorly treated - something which I am ashamed of.

I believe that become Vegetarian is not the answer though. We need to change our atitudes to animal husbandry.

I'm sure HFW will not mind me quoting from his book, Meat:

"Of all the creatures whose lives we affect, none are more deeply dependent on us - for their success as species and for their individual health and well-being - than the animals we raise to kill for meat."

"This dependency would not be suspended if we all became vegetarians. If we ceased to kill the domesticated meat species for food, then these animals would not revert to the wild. The nature of our relationship would change but the relationship would not end. We would remain their custodian, with full moral responsibilty for their welfare."

"So what happens to these animals in a vegetarian Utopia?.......We could consign them to reservations......we could hardly abandon them to their fates - at least not if we are genuinely concerned about their welfare.....What happens to the corpses of the deceased? Do we bury them? Are we allowed to feed them to our cats and dogs, or have they beome vegetarian too? Or should they just be composted to produce fertiliser for the vegetarian agriculture that is now feeding us? But then wouldn't we sort of end up eating them anyway?"

"Meanwhile, how does our new food-growing landscape look and feel? An agriculture that cultivated only fruit and vegetables would create intense pressures on the environment. The organic system.....would be among the first casualties. The hedgerows and coppices that define our landscape.....would soon become redundant in the vegetarian landscape."

He has a very interesting point, although he does not necesarily have the definitive answer.

I'm not saying vegetarians are wrong for their beliefs, as I have a lot of respect for the ability to stand by that belief, just want to share a different view.

I would recommend Meat to anyone. It is a very interesting and eye opening read.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I'm not real excited about taking this thread off the rails, but I'm going to throw in on the veggie issue, being a semi-lapsed veggie myself.

I am (was?) an "ethical" vegetarian, and I think it is both the life the animal lives and the manner of its demise that matter. I don't eat meat that I don't raise and kill myself (or just kill, if it's wild) or wasn't raised and killed by trusted individuals, which means I essentially don't eat meat other than a bit of fish once in a while. :D

I don't buy the argument that the whole world would magically stop eating meat and we would be left with massive herds of cattle in our care. What would be far more likely is a gradual shift away from meat, reducing demand and thus supply, eventually reaching a minimum where a few meat animals are kept to satisfy the small demand that would always remain. The most likely prognosis is that people will always eat meat for dietary, societal and religious reasons and not much will sway that. I'm of the mind that I do what I need to do to feel good about my life, and everybody else can mind their own business. :)

As for road kill, again, I think that there is plenty of opportunity for good food there if one is discriminating in what one takes. I think that Drennan's point of view ("If you haven't seen or heard it being killed...") Is flawed; I think that everyone really should experience the demise and slaughter of an animal for the plate so that they appreciate what they are getting. If you can't handle it, I don't think you deserve to be eating it, IMHO.

xylaria

My only worry with eating road kill would be the disease issue. A large proportion of the factory killed chickens that are consumed are contaminated with E.coli and other gut bacteria, thats why meat is cooked. Cooking kills that bacteria but does it kill TB or brucellosis? Is safe if you just lob off a leg and cook it well? Deer stalkers under go alot of training to be able spot these diseases, and I for one wouldn't like to guess at the health of an animal that has its organs already split.

I used to be an ethical veggie too. Now I buy my meat from a factory outlet attached to a small local abattior. You can see the animals arriving as you buy.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I have heard this before about vets using drugs to put an animal out of its suffering. Then someone, gamekeeper or the like is supposed to come and remove it. Then there is the question of "grailocking" (gutting) it. Apparantly it is far more involved than paunching a rabbit. Finally there is the question of who's deer is it anyway.
If I knocked one down I would love to take it home for the freezer. BUT you cant be sure about any diseases it may be carrying!!!!

Voivode said:
I think that everyone really should experience the demise and slaughter of an animal for the plate so that they appreciate what they are getting. If you can't handle it, I don't think you deserve to be eating it, IMHO.

A very sensible viewpoint. I defended this in a Brussels' weekly some years ago and was covered with abuse in the letters to the editor :rolleyes: As meat eaters we have to take our responsabilities. The idea of accepting to eat meat "as long as you have nothing to do with its killing" is kind of hypocrit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE