Nixtamalization

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Fascinating Facebook post by Theresa Emmerich which I thought might be of interest to people here. It broadly describes her method for living off foraged plants for a period of time, in the TV show Alone (which I've never watched):

I'd never heard of nixtamalization before reading this. Has anyone experimented with this method for treating corn, or indeed anything other than corn? If you were living off the land in the UK, what roots or seeds could you apply it too?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know that the maize flour I buy for tortillas is lime washed, nixtamalized.

I honestly don't know of it being used here for anything.

Interesting topic :)

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As the process seems to originate in Mesoamerica it is no wonder cocoa goes through similar processing, reducing bitterness among other things.

Reactions: Toddy

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
She mentions applying it to
false solomon's seal root (Maianthemum bifolium). I wonder what made her think that this root specifically would benefit from this treatment?

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Fascinating Facebook post by Theresa Emmerich which I thought might be of interest to people here. It broadly describes her method for living off foraged plants for a period of time, in the TV show Alone (which I've never watched):

I'd never heard of nixtamalization before reading this. Has anyone experimented with this method for treating corn, or indeed anything other than corn? If you were living off the land in the UK, what roots or seeds could you apply it too?
interesting thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE