Road Trip UK.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
Hi Guys,

A mate and I are planning to do a Road trip troughs the UK.
From South to North. We are taking our own car.

Not really bushcrafty i know but the mate i am taking isnt a bushcrafter.

The date is 2 Jan to 13 Jan. So 11 days. (we both can on this date. The summer etc. is a no go here)

Because most of the members here are from the UK i'm asking some questions!
I hope you can help.

First off.
- What are the things to see in the UK. (nature and culture)
The Armor museum, RAF museum, Endicotts, Stone hedge and London on our list.

- What is the cheapest (not sleeping in the car) way to sleep. B&B maybe?

- Any more tips?

I also like to see Scotland. But That is only possible if we drive like one full day from the south to the north.
But if there is nothing to see in the middle than it is possible.

Thanks for reading and for your help.
We are hoping on not to much snow because then the roads are very hard to drive.

Last edited:

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
You're cheapest ways to sleep might be youth hostels, or the independent youth hostels, rather than B&B if you're not wanting to rough it ;)
There is a lot to see in just 11 days, dont even know where to start....there are some truly amazing castles about, especially in Wales. I would add the Eden Project in Cornwall. In Scotland the best bit is the countryside imho, just driving up the west coast is a treat :).
Good Luck with your Road Trip, hope you'll get good weather for it
Cheers
Ness :)

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
travelodges are all ways cheep if u book in advance

Other Chains of cheap Flophouses are also available :D Drew that was a shameless Plug :nono:

Pepperana , try to get to Leeds royal armouries if you can and take a look round Yorkshire while you are there , beautiful moors and dales !

Also you could try Camping if feeling brave although in January .................. :yikes:

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
You're cheapest ways to sleep might be youth hostels, or the independent youth hostels, rather than B&B if you're not wanting to rough it ;)
There is a lot to see in just 11 days, dont even know where to start....there are some truly amazing castles about, especially in Wales. I would add the Eden Project in Cornwall. In Scotland the best bit is the countryside imho, just driving up the west coast is a treat :).
Good Luck with your Road Trip, hope you'll get good weather for it
Cheers
Ness :)

Got to agree with the above, This Good but thats more East cost,, Before you set your route CHECK that where your going is open in the winter!!
bad weather or not some places are just shut... :(

SYHA

YHA

independent hostels

hostel-scotland

Hope all goes Well :))

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
There are lots of ways to see London. You can do most of the tourist attractions on foot but the Underground is an experience everybody should do once. When I worked at Imperial College I did it twice a day (for far too long). One of the river cruises might be worth a punt. The Greenwich Observatory, Kew Gardens, Hampton Court, Buckingham Palace, The Mall, Trafalgar Square, Marble Arch, St. Pauls... You could easily spend a week there. Don't take a car to London.

Last edited:

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
the Underground is an experience everybody should do once. - Don't take a car to London.

Both Very true......

To save Long drives you could (after Stone Henge) goto see Avebury Stone Circle, Woodhenge, White Horse, Waylands Smithy :)

Would be a shame to miss Scotland but would save spending 3/4 of your hol's sat on are motorway's lol

Last edited:

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
There's somewhere to sleep (living room floor) and a meal in Bristol if your passing this way chap.

cheers,
Rob

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Theres too much to see EVERYWHERE. If you're road tripping then I suggest you make the most enjoyable part of the journy the driving itself - pick roads that are going to take you through beautiful spots, rather than all motorway. I drove around Scotland (up the east, along the top down the west) and it was spectacular scenery for the majority of it.

Youth hostels are pretty cheap. Check out the euro hostels. I've stayed in the one in Glasgow and it was cheap (£10 iirc), nice and chilled, and I ended up getting wrecked with other people there. Theres a hostel at the bottom of Ben Nevis as well which is awesome - the guys who work there are very chilled out (;)) and you could climb Nevis whilst you're there if the weather is clear..

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Theres too much to see EVERYWHERE. If you're road tripping then I suggest you make the most enjoyable part of the journy the driving itself - pick roads that are going to take you through beautiful spots, rather than all motorway. I drove around Scotland (up the east, along the top down the west) and it was spectacular scenery for the majority of it.

Youth hostels are pretty cheap. Check out the euro hostels. I've stayed in the one in Glasgow and it was cheap (£10 iirc), nice and chilled, and I ended up getting wrecked with other people there. Theres a hostel at the bottom of Ben Nevis as well which is awesome - the guys who work there are very chilled out (;)) and you could climb Nevis whilst you're there if the weather is clear..

Highbinder is right one more than one count :) :)

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
Thanks guys for all you Tips, Idea's and Offers. Great! I am gonna plan this coming week and let you know my basic plan.

Cheers!

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Do also bear in mind that you don't need to drive absolutely everywhere. If for example you have limited time to see a bit of Scotland, you could do a lot worse than pick a base such as Glasgow (Euro Hostel mentioned previously is very central and you can park your car across the river so you don't incur parking charges) - Loch Lomond is within 45/50 minutes drive as are the Trossachs, so there is plenty of good mountainous and woodland country within relatively short hops. From the city you can easily do day trips by train to Stirling or Edinburgh, there is lots of history in both (as well as Glasgow) and I think that approac would give you a good general flavour of what Scotland has to offer. If you are focusing your attention on England, the same strategy can apply, work out what general areas you want to see and what links are available by public transport - if you plan in advance you can get very good discounts on bus and rail travel. And of course doing some of the travelling by public transport allows you to enjoy the local pubs :)

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
Going to be in the UK tomorrow! UK get ready for some Crazy Dutchman on your roads!
Our rough planning:

-Oirschot (hometown), via Antwerpen,
-Calais
-Dover
-Folkstone
-East Grinstead,
-Brighton
-Portsmouth
-Poole
-Lulworth
-Bovington
-Exeter
-Bristol
-Gloucester, naar Cotswolds (gebied rond Gloucester)
Lots to see and if we have time were going to the north!
Chester
-Liverpool
-Manchester
-Lancaster
-Keswich, van hieruit of naar Edinburgh het noorden, of richting het oosten naar
-North Yorkshire
-York
-Leeds
-Duxford Cambridge
-Londen
-Dover

Its something to stick by but we can change it along the trip.

Again thanks for your tips!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE