RM Woodlore Knife on Ebay.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Fair play for standing up a saying your piece Jon! I have no problem with people buying what they want to buy because I buy what I want to buy as well.

Personally though, as you have a very similar knife in the Wright, I would sell the Woodlore then commission something different from a custom maker and use the the leftover cash (there will be some) to buy beer & pork pie! :D

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Pork Pies and Beer - a man after my own heart!

Actually I was thinking of giving my A Wright to my brother who is just starting to get into bushy things but doesn't have two brass farthings to rub together – it is the season for giving and all that.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Fair play Jon.

I would still sell the Woodlore though - you could afford 2 knives from that cost and still be able to buy at least one pork pie and a six-pack. :)

p.s. What on earth is your avatar? Is that a landrover that has been made into a pony trap?!

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Avatar - It is a Chinese truck cab that has been made into a pony trap. I actually think it is some form of cattle not even a pony.

Re: the woodlore - I know what you mean about the cost, but like I say it will used and if I sell it again I will get my money back (however much the cost doesn't seem to make sense - people are willing to pay it - that is just the way it is).

To be honest it isn't just the woodlore knives - if you look any Alan Wood knife they generally go for silly money

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALAN-WOOD-HAN...ryZ16042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alan-Wood-cus...oryZ7306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alan-Wood-Mak...ryZ16042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seems that if he sold all his knives on ebay he would make more money!

There are very few makers out there where their products hold their value - that just seems the way it is. If Alan Wood was maker on this web site then I doubt people would complain.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
..... I bought an A Wright bushcaft knife (for £100) and made the mistake of posting it on the BushcraftUK web site to see what people thought about that knife. I think the consensus was that it wasn’t shiny enough – the bevel is too obtuse, the ricasso is too long, the handle is not shiny or shaped, etc, etc. Having used the knife for a while for various tasks I think it is a good knife.......

Hi Jon, long time no see.
I remember that thread quite well :tapedshut . From what I saw at the Meet there was nothing wrong with it (or your ability to use it). If you do decide to pass it on to your brother he'll have a work horse that should last him a life time.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
And there are alot of people on this site with a draw full of knives that they don't use!

...of which I am proudly one.

For what it's worth, I dont think squidders was pointing at you Greg, but his observations are 100% on the money.

[just to be clear, my following comments are general and not directed at anyone in partticular]

As predominantly a knife collector, with only a very passing interest in bushcraft, I see the sort of bushcraft snobbery Squidders refers to in a huge number of threads on here. Phrases like "real bushcrafter" get bandied around, like it's some sort of status. The problem is, bushcraft in the UK is a hobby for pretty much everyone - in fact it's a fantasy for pretty much everyone. We dont have any wilderness, we aren't forced to live off the land and two nights under a tarp in yer local park doesnt make it real. Maybe that's the problem? People seem to collect "nights under a tarp" like a boyscout collects badges. Get enough and you get promoted to "real bushcrafter". But in reality, no matter how many badges you have, to some extent, we are all just pretending ...it's just a question of degree.

But part of this holy journey into bushcraft deification, is the shunning of all things not "needed". One must throw off the shackles of modern life and carry only those tools essential for our journey. Evidence that you have done this properly, is the scars of hard use on your tools. Verily, ye shall laugh and scorn those with shiny knives, for they are the false gods. Eve shall tempt the weak with a new and sparkly Cega, but the faithful shall prove their worth by the chips in their metalwork. :rolleyes:

Do you not see it? Realy? I do. Squidders does.

I own a small collection of granny B's. Why? Because I like em. veeeeerrrryyy occasionally, they'll see some use, but mostly, I just like em. I have owned 3 woodlore's. One is waiting for a new handle, another I sold on to a friend for what I paid and the third I sold on ebay for an obscene profit. I paid a significant sum for a Sebenza, this is the most used knife I own - the cost was irrelevant. I have also bought and sold many other expensive knives over the years. Most were drawer queens.

I just dont understand why this is bad?

But some of the folks on here pour scorn onto these "false gods" who dont use their tools, as though they were slime from the pit. Why?

I can only assume there is some jealousy involved. Maybe they cant afford to spend the money? Maybe they are deficient is some other aspect of their lives, they they feel the need to look down their noses at these "pretenders" who dont use their tools? Whatever, I dont know.

I do know this is still a free country. I do know there is a free market economy. I know I work hard for what I get paid, and I know I'll damned well spend it on whatever gives me pleasure. I also know that those who would look down on me for "failing to justify" my expenditure, perhaps ought to re-read their copy of Mein Kampf for better guidance.

Anyway ...think about it please. What does it matter if someone wants to collect rather than use? Can you really justify what you own? All of it? Have you ever bought something just because that "thing" gives you pleasure? Is it really good for your soul, to look down on anyone, for any reason ...even if you are qualified ...in fact especially if you are qualified?

Whatever. Here's wishing you all a very genuine and very happy Christmas. I hope the new year brings you prosperity and happiness. May your God be with you.

Martyn.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
...of which I am proudly one.

For what it's worth, I dont think squidders was pointing at you Greg, but his observations are 100% on the money.

[just to be clear, my following comments are general and not directed at anyone in partticular]

As predominantly a knife collector, with only a very passing interest in bushcraft, I see the sort of bushcraft snobbery Squidders refers to in a huge number of threads on here. Phrases like "real bushcrafter" get bandied around, like it's some sort of status. The problem is, bushcraft in the UK is a hobby for pretty much everyone - in fact it's a fantasy for pretty much everyone. We dont have any wilderness, we aren't forced to live off the land and two nights under a tarp in yer local park doesnt make it real. Maybe that's the problem? People seem to collect "nights under a tarp" like a boyscout collects badges. Get enough and you get promoted to "real bushcrafter". But in reality, no matter how many badges you have, to some extent, we are all just pretending ...it's just a question of degree.

But part of this holy journey into bushcraft deification, is the shunning of all things not "needed". One must throw off the shackles of modern life and carry only those tools essential for our journey. Evidence that you have done this properly, is the scars of hard use on your tools. Verily, ye shall laugh and scorn those with shiny knives, for they are the false gods. Eve shall tempt the weak with a new and sparkly Cega, but the faithful shall prove their worth by the chips in their metalwork. :rolleyes:

Do you not see it? Realy? I do. Squidders does.

I own a small collection of granny B's. Why? Because I like em. veeeeerrrryyy occasionally, they'll see some use, but mostly, I just like em. I have owned 3 woodlore's. One is waiting for a new handle, another I sold on to a friend for what I paid and the third I sold on ebay for an obscene profit. I paid a significant sum for a Sebenza, this is the most used knife I own - the cost was irrelevant. I have also bought and sold many other expensive knives over the years. Most were drawer queens.

I just dont understand why this is bad?

But some of the folks on here pour scorn onto these "false gods" who dont use their tools, as though they were slime from the pit. Why?

I can only assume there is some jealousy involved. Maybe they cant afford to spend the money? Maybe they are deficient is some other aspect of their lives, they they feel the need to look down their noses at these "pretenders" who dont use their tools? Whatever, I dont know.

I do know this is still a free country. I do know there is a free market economy. I know I work hard for what I get paid, and I know I'll damned well spend it on whatever gives me pleasure. I also know that those who would look down on me for "failing to justify" my expenditure, perhaps ought to re-read their copy of Mein Kampf for better guidance.

Anyway ...think about it please. What does it matter if someone wants to collect rather than use? Can you really justify what you own? All of it? Have you ever bought something just because that "thing" gives you pleasure? Is it really good for your soul, to look down on anyone, for any reason ...even if you are qualified ...in fact especially if you are qualified?

Whatever. Here's wishing you all a very genuine and very happy Christmas. I hope the new year brings you prosperity and happiness. May your God be with you.

Martyn.

a man after my own heart marytn,but the difference is you no how to put it,so i'll just let you put what i think,instead of me blundering through,every post is bang on imho

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I think I have to agree Martyn to a good degree - I think most people on this web site are "kit" junkies of some form or other - whether it be knives or hammocks or whatever. I know I like buying a new shiny thing every so often (whether is costs me £5 or £300 - not sure my wife does though!

I'm not going to feel guilty about spending what some people think is over the odds for a knife - especially one where I know it will retain its value - and maybe even increase in value. Why it retains it's value or even increases it's value is down to free market forces - who am I to argue with that and try and put some morality around it. There are plenty of good practical knives out there for £10, £40, £100 - so people have the choice. I may even commission my own spec'd knife in the future as has been suggested and I won't feel guilty about spending that money either.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well said Martyn.

I have an antler handled Woodlore all 100% AW's work and I shall never use it.

I have a custom AW Bushcrafter and I will never use it.

I have a 25 yr Anniversary Woodlore and I will never use it.

Why, because it gives me a greater pleasure to look at and conserve the particular pieces than to use. For use I have two Stu Mitchell custom Bushcrafters and an AW version of the same knife. Flame me for this if you want, I don't care, collecting makes me happy and Ray Mears is great, I like his stuff. Flame me for that too if you wish, I don't care :nana: I've been on many a Woody course and it got me interested again in the great outdoors. Thanks Ray. In fact, I was sorely tempted to buy the £1450 Woody Woody on ebay now. To me it's an interesting piece of bushcrafting history, not worth that money by a hell of a long shot, but it's not about money. Merry Christmas all....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Good on you mate - you want to do something, you have the dosh = do it.
For me, not using things that are built to be used is - well, it don't work for me personally, but then I would not give Claris Cliff or Picassos work houseroom as I think they are crepe..
Funny thing is I have some realy great stoves and billies but prefer to make and use stuff I make myself from charity shop/el cheapo shops gear..
Funny old world innit?
Merry Xmas!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
... lots of stuff

Although I am not a knife collector I pretty much agree with all of what you said.

If you want something enough it has that value to you, if you don't it doesn't.
Thats what market forces are all about.
Good post.
Oh and happy crimbo.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Another one has gone up, with a discount to a BcUK member if they have been a member for a year or more. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, if I had the cash I may even be tempted just to own one! Then I could see what the fuss is all about, but by the by. Have a look f you are after one and have some spare cash, it isn't my sale and i can't think of who it could be off the top of my head but obviously a member here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Woodlore-Knif...ryZ16042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE