RM Woodlore Knife on Ebay.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I am glad I didn't bother getting one. When I first started getting back into this lark, I thought it was the be all and end all because of you know who. No, not Lord Voldemort! Ray Mears! :rolleyes: Pay attention at the back!

Anyway, the first time i actually saw one was at my first Delamere meet when Graham was sharpening one. I think it belonged to Andrew, but whatever, I asked for a quick heft of it and thought it was very heavy, very broad across the blade and incredibly thick. Again, I must have small hands because it was huge in the hand. I'm now not totally sure if you can make a knife that fits all, it's a bit like making one size in shoes and telling everyone that you will have to make do with what's on offer!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I know exactly where Squidders is coming from. This topic has been coming up in one form or another on this forum for years ( one or two anyway :) ).

If someone wants to buy a knife they like and can afford to pay over the odds for it then surely it is their choice?

I have to confess to having spent way more than this knife is likely to go for on knives that would probably even less acceptance than a woodlore on this forum. Why? Because I like knives and, at the time, I could afford to buy what I wanted.

Knife likes and dislikes are driven to an extent by function but also by emotion. People like what they like - it is subjective.

This is not meant to be a dig at anyone so please don't take it as such.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Who hasn't got acres of kit they don't really need though? I say sod it, if people want to pay, etc. I would like to see a smaller version of it for those with smaller hands, I know there are some clones out there like that, but I'd like to actually give one a go.

I have it on good authority that once you own a woodlore the circle of the cybercrafter is complete and you become one with nature.

I carry my woodlore next to my PDA and iphone pouch.

Im also thinking about buying the Ray Mears xbox with the bushcrafting interactive game,bushcrafting brought to your own living room so you will never have to dirty your Swanndri or get mud on you MearsbootsTM

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got one of the WS woodlore knives. It's ok, but it's not my blade of choice when I go out in the woods.
I used to use a Svord Drop Point all the time, now I use a Pukko, although my cold steel skien dhbu is getting a lot of use at the moment.
I have a box full of knives, and they get used on a whim. depending on where I'm goin and what I'm going to do when I get there.

The woodlore (especially the AW Woodlore) is a very well made knife. It's just the collector market that is pushing the price up. there is no need to denigrate someone because they like it/want to own one
It's time for some folk around here to drop the "Holier than thou" attitude

@ Spamel,
doing a sharpening demo on an AW Woodlore was a little nerve-wracking .I've got to admit.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
Yes Greg, your right, but someone bought one on here and then bought a cheap axe from B&Q as a user because he did'nt want to mess up his Cegga chopping fire wood!

I don't know whether it was the fact he did it, or the fact that he told everyone that amazed me! Each to their own, live and let live, if you can afford it and want it, buy it, if not, let it go, life's too short!

are my ears burning??
i bought the b & q axe because the cegga (being the run with the very fine profile) was not too good at splitting logs - messing up the cegga wasn't the issue at all.
i bought it, liked it, but didn't use it, so i passed it to someone who could - didn't see the point in having a drawer queen. nothing against cegga, just my preference.
i'm glad that you are all amazed though........
(unless it wasn't me you were talking about, in which case ignore all the above!)

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Seems like Mr.Mears knives are popular despite the prize, though.
The newest batch offered on his web-site has already sold out.
Bought by users or collectors??? Who knows.
How many did you guys get?

/ Karl

having come back to Bushcraft after a few years off
i missed the Woodlore coming out etc
and wanted to try it to see what the fuss was about
to be honest ive never really bothered with a small fixed blade usually a big one and a SAK
So i go the metal and started making one and well as a 3/4 size for my newborn daughter back in january :rolleyes: the smaller one needs handleing but hte bigger one is just a profile still i already know i dont like it. its to thick bladed for me but i will eventually finish it. the suprise was that the 3/4 size blade seems great but the handle is a little small more a 3 finger job for me
still i hope to get round to finishing one day and maybe try a few more traditional shapes
i would have hated to pay £300 and waited months to find i didnt like it for something most competant peeps could knock ot a working version of in a couple of days ( he says after failing to do it over 10 months :lmao: kids Ay )

ATB

Duncan

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
They are good knives so it is a pity that they are seem to be associated with the bushcrafter that has 'all the gear and no idea'. Its such a pity that Wilkinson Sword went bust in so many ways as the knives were bought out to provide a more affordable alternative to the hand-made Alan Wood knives - I bought mine for £80 on a Woodlore course about four years ago. Like I said IMO they are a good all-round knife but a little chunky for fine work such as carving the notches out of bow-drill boards. I tend to use the Clipper on the courses I help with as the students also use the same knives - just seems to make sense. I find the Frosts the converse a little thin for heavy work such as battoning wood but for a tenner how can you complain?:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE