RM Fishing Lures/Jigs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dunk

Forager
Feb 4, 2007
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
it's the Jigs and Lures i'm interested in.
i cant see on that pic what he is using.
in the interview he says
I tend to use these tiny little jigs (produces a small, compartmentalised clam shell box containing an assortment of hooks, shot, clips, jig heads and small inch, inch-and-a-half long jigs in a mixture of reds, yellows and oranges). Little jigs catch a lot of fish.

that does tell me much.. ggggggrrrrr the secrets of fishing

zagabul

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2009
London
www.aloxworld.com
RM Fishing Lures/Jigs?
Anyone know what he is using?

I was wondering the exact same thing the other day.
couldn't find anything so I decided to go for some spoons. There are small enough to carry everywhere and i caught plenty of fish with them when a teenager. You don't need lots of know how to use them either.
I have No 0, 1 and 2

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
He is talking about jelly/rubber Jigs, mostly these are large hooks with a weighted head and a rubber body, the rubber body represents either a fish or worm, most decent tackle shops sell them.
As for spinners, Mepps are good, various sizes, again any decent tackle shop will sell them.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
He is talking about jelly/rubber Jigs, mostly these are large hooks with a weighted head and a rubber body, the rubber body represents either a fish or worm, most decent tackle shops sell them.
As for spinners, Mepps are good, various sizes, again any decent tackle shop will sell them.

I fully agree with you there. I can't tell you how many fish I used to catch with mepps, and for pike I always used red and white spoons when spin casting. Unless I was fly fishing I liked to keep it simple! These things are worth their weight in gold where I used to fish, but I suppose it depends what you're after...

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=4&ModelID=12137

No connection with the link, I just wanted to show what I had success with.

Dunk

Forager
Feb 4, 2007
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
i've been using Mepps spoons for a while now and catch loads of pike on the canal/river.
Never used Jigs so would be interested to see what i can catch when i go to Loch Lomond.
I want to eat the bloody thing not put it back.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Found mine the weight of these are from 6.2grams to 7.9grams.
Think I'll give them a try out sometime.

001-2.jpg

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
i've been using Mepps spoons for a while now and catch loads of pike on the canal/river.
Never used Jigs so would be interested to see what i can catch when i go to Loch Lomond
I want to eat the bloody thing not put it back.

When are you going up to Loch Lomond?

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
The small rubber worm-like baits are called Twisters, from the original brand: Mister Twister. They also come in fish shape, calles shads.

You can buy the smaller ones in assorted packs, sometimes combined with spinners, other jigs, spoons and so on.

The narrow, heavy spoon he talks about is probably a Toby spoon, much imitated.

If you get the assorted boxes: check the hooks! The leaded hooks for the rubber stuff can be blunt and easy to bend out - and that will cost you fish. The trebles on spoons etc. are usually strong enough but not very sharp.

If you can, buy some replacement leaded hooks with decent hooks, and some new trebles. Gamakatsu hooks (from the Dutch company Spro, dunno if they sell in the UK) are excellent and razor sharp. And replace the split rings as well. Cost you a little, but will hook and land you that big'un.

No links to Gamakatsu etc, but I have always used them and they're sharper then any other brand.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
For the sea round here I tend to just use 1/2 to 11/2 oz dexters and find them lethal in all ways.

Lethal to the fish :D
Unfortunately they're also lethal on my pocket at £2 - £5 each :(

I fully agree with you there. I can't tell you how many fish I used to catch with mepps, and for pike I always used red and white spoons when spin casting. Unless I was fly fishing I liked to keep it simple! These things are worth their weight in gold where I used to fish, but I suppose it depends what you're after...

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=4&ModelID=12137

No connection with the link, I just wanted to show what I had success with.

Agree with both of the above. He's talking about the little rubber jobs mentioned, but I've also had much more success with small meps and spoons in fresh water, or medium tobys, or "Viking herring" in the sea.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Thijzzz is right, they all scream buy me, honestly i know i have about £20k of them under my stairs.

If i were you if you are coming up to lomond, forget jigs unless you after pike, stick with spinners and go after the trout and perch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE