Rip Off Britain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Sounds like all you need to have reasonable access to the much lower prices over here is the right chap to buy the item and render it "used" before forwarding it on. A knife might be "used" after cutting up some salad greens.

Scandinavian knives? If you have not done so, check out prices at WWW.ragweedforge.com. Sometimes even lower prices can be found via Google.

Always good to check reputation by using "search" feature at BladeForums.com. More chancy types over here.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
should point out that there's a reasonable chance you'll never have to pay the duty, as long as you're not bringing in truck loads. You should budget for having to pay it though, just in case.

Another option is to have someone Stateside do your shopping for you (or act as a proxy in e-bay) and then forward the goods to you. Repackaged as birthday presents, or whatever. A lot less likely to attract customs attention than a franked parcel from a trader. It also allows you to bid on e-bay items which are only available to buyers in CONUS. Which can be very handy at times ;)

Thats actually how I'm getting my Swanni in a month or so time, my dad lives in Oz so will by it, unwrap it and then send as a birthday present.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
My noble and generous parents have just come back from a trip to Australia....with a Swanni Ranger for me. Excellent.

Cost 119 Aus dollars in Western Australia - about £48 so not dramatically cheaper than here. No problems at customs.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Something to remember, when importing from the US, all courier services, such as Fed-Ex, are contractually obligated to submit every item for duty & VAT, you also get an additional handling fee for submitting said items for duty & VAT. When it arrives in the UK, someone like Parcelforce take over delivery, for which you get an additional charge. The additional costs can be HUGE. You DO get a tracking service though.

BUT, if you use the United States Postal Service (USPS), then there are no such contractual obligations. It is equivalent to the UK post office. Get your item shipped to you via USPS airmail, and you may or may not have it go for VAT & Duty. When your parcel arrives, the UK post office take over delivery. The downside - no tracking service.

I'm not suggesting you should use USPS as a way of circumventing UK customs charges, just that the overall import costs are usually a lot lower than using couriers in nearly every circumstance.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Good point Martyn ... however, there's always a flip side. many times I've had stuff bought over by courier and then delivered by the courier with a charge on it that they say will be billed later but the bill never appears. FedEx and DHL seem to forget about small charges quite often in my experience. Parcel Force don't, unless the actual postie at the doorstep just can't be bothered (I've had the doorbell ring and be handed a parcel "covered" in charges stickers and not asked to pay it!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
You're lucky Adi, every time I've been *forced* to use a courier - ie, it's the only method the retailer would use to ship to the UK, I've been smacked for the lot. In some cases, doubling the cost of the item.

On the other hand, USPS has been good to me every time. Speak to some of the guys on BB about the preferred shipping/importing methods and I'm sure 99/100 will say USPS. :wink:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
doubling the price of the item? like being charged fourty bucks to deliver a twenty dollar titanium mug?

yes, usps or nothing for me!

but you will still get a handling charge if you have to pay customs.

cheers, and.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I think that because I live out in the stick (well, OK, not sticks but almost!!!!) and the couriers here use small local firms I think that the customs paperwork gets separated ... hence my good fortune!

I always figure on paying it but if I don't have to ... :-D

Martyn said:
You're lucky Adi, every time I've been *forced* to use a courier - ie, it's the only method the retailer would use to ship to the UK, I've been smacked for the lot. In some cases, doubling the cost of the item.

On the other hand, USPS has been good to me every time. Speak to some of the guys on BB about the preferred shipping/importing methods and I'm sure 99/100 will say USPS. :wink:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
yeah, i've had a couple.

had to collect a box from the parcel force depot today, got off scott free! :cool:

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE