The Mushrooms and Toadstools of Britain and North-western Europe, Marcel Bon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
This is a book I was recommended when I was out with the Dorset Fungi Group a couple of years ago but have only recently managed to get hold of.

It's a Hodder & Staughton field guide, translated from the original French, and is exceptionally well-illustrated and written book. The version I have is the paperback (ISBN 0 340 39935 X) published in 1987. I believe an update is due for publication soon, which means that this older edition may become more available on the second-hand market.

zuqxz4.jpg

I got it for £7 plus p&p via Abebooks (Google them) as I couldn't find it via Amazon.

It's a well laid-out and easy-to-follow field guide, 11 x 19cm, which isn't quite pocket-sized but fits easily in a bag.

The book starts by talking through key features for identification and techniques (including chemical reagent identifiers for the keener amongst us), including spore shape and size, odour, etc. Interestingly, there is also a short section on toxicology which summarises the key fungi poisons and symptoms/effects.

The keys in the book are slightly more difficult to use than others I've seen but I have actually learned more because of this and become more critical when trying to identify fungi. If you don't like using latin names, this book isn't for you. As explained in the introduction, the author has stated that the only consistent way of identifying fungi in Europe is through the latin genus/species. There are a number of fungi (usually the common edible ones and the really nasty ones!) where a 'common' or 'local' name is given, eg, 'Penny Bun' but the main title for each species is emphasised in latin.

Descriptions are comprehensive including externals, spores, habitat, size, odour, colour changes, chemical tests, commonality, range and edibility. Of course, a number of fungi are not native to the UK but it does mean that you can use this book across Europe and not just Britain.

The illustrations are exquisitely drawn/painted in colour - no photos. Line drawings are used for spores.

All in all, I think this is a book for the more serious fungi hunter - it does not concentrate on the edible species and endeavours to educate by making you think a little more about what you are looking at. Learning the latin names is daunting but I'm starting to feel I've made some progress! It's also worth noting that the latin names are often quite descriptive and help in identification.

As I said, a new edition is due (later this year, I think?) but, as it stands at the moment, this is a really nice addition to your foraging bag and a fine companion to Roger Phillip's 'Mushrooms' guide, which is all photographs and concentrates on UK fungi.

I

IBrown

I agree with you I have had that book for years. Mine is a first issue 1987 and its mint. I never take it out the house. I take pictures and refer to the book when i get home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE