Ridiculous Injury!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ganstey

Settler
A few years ago I was at a party round at a friends, and crashed on the sofa overnight. They lived in a 15th century house (yep, dated by experts to 14xx). In the middle of the night I needed to empty the tank, and so got up... right underneath one of the main supporting oak beams. :banghead: Now I'm 5'10", but later measurement showed the beam to be 5'6" from the floor! Come the morning I was found asleep on the floor, with a stonking headache and a massive lump on the top of my head. :puppy_dog The following evening I still had a headache, so I drove down to the local A&E, where I got a right telling off from the nurse - apparently you're not supposed to drive whilst concussed :dunno:

G

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hmm. I don't know whether this my daftest injury, but it's certainly my most ridiculous one ... I think!

I'd sat down, cross-legged, taking a break for a few minutes in the middle of nowhere. When the time came to move off again I did my (then) usual cross-legged to standing in one fluid motion. So far there was no apparent problem - and then I began to walk. I though 'The grounds a bit rougher than it looks' followed, quickly by 'Why's the ground rougher under my right foot?'. When I looked down I realised why. When I'd stood up, I'd managed to dislocate my ankle - without feeling it. Although the initial injury was totally painless and walking on it was weird (but, again, painless) having to pop it back into place was excruciating! When I finally took myself off to A&E a day or so later they told me that when I'd relocated it I'd inadvertantly sheered a chunk of bone off the outside of my ankle.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
My sister said she woke up last week in bed feeling strangely refreshed. she said to her boyfriend she felt she had had the best nights sleep ever, and he said "don't you remember what happened?!" apparently, they were both drunk, she had opened the kichen cupboard and bent down, then stood up and hit her head on it. She knocked herself out cold , but later got up. he lay her on the bed and she went out like a light again. She was still breathing and mumbling so he left her there. lol

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Jesus, reading through these it's a wonder BCUK has anyone left for the forums!
OK I'll play... thinking about it despite some of the crazy things I do most of my injuries have been alcohol related :rolleyes: stupidest was prob at a mates BBQ, quite a few cans down someone decides the trampoline looked fun *looks innocent!* :eek: all fun to start with, but being with a bunch of lads it gets competitive, single somersaults went OK, backwards somersaults also, then attempting a double backwards one (don't ask!) I land on my neck causing me to see stars. A mate jumps on and does exactly the same. I stand up full of dutch courage and try again with the same result, my mate tries again and also does exactly the same. We somehow (I assume) fall asleep, the next morning I drive up both to the nearest hospital since neither of us can move our necks without shooting pains. Cue having to explain to my parents how both my mate and I had whiplash without having been in a car :eek:

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
I think my dumbest has to be whilst working on the biggest fire vehicle used by the RAF a MK9, I had just spent 2 days rebuilding the monitor on the top that sprays water/foam about 40 metres and I stepped back to admire my work *************************** It's a long drop about 14 feet. I laid there for a while wondering at lifes mysteries and doing that thing we all do mentally checking for injuries, then moving my left hand around started checking for real, PAIN in the chest, in the hips, on the thighs and on my head, panic rising I looked at my hand IT was dislocated the rest of me was fine.

Get well soon Rhoda.

Chiropractors are good for that type of injury.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Not me, but one of my fellow apprentices ...

We were on our lunch break, kicking a football against a wall - taking turns until you miss - very grown up! Jason went to kick the ball, missed but kicked the kurb edge. In pain he threw his arms up, which made him lose balance.

The result -
  • broken big toe right foot
  • nasty lump on side of head caused when he fell over
  • dislocated right shoulder caused by throwing his arm up

You should have seen the creative accident book entry that got him paid sick leave!

Hope that makes you feel better!

Simon

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
My most embarrassing is sneezing whilst washing up!

Two days later, whatever I strained in my back went into spasm causing my diaphragm to stop working where upon I passed out. Paramedics, injections of morphine and other potions straight into the spine and some horse tablets that would knock me out (actually fell asleep on the phone to a client at work!) later, I was right as rain ish. Buy a dishwasher – it’s safety equipment!

ganstey

Settler

Two days later, whatever I strained in my back went into spasm causing my diaphragm to stop working where upon I passed out. Paramedics, injections of morphine and other potions straight into the spine and some horse tablets that would knock me out (actually fell asleep on the phone to a client at work!) later, I was right as rain ish. Buy a dishwasher – it’s safety equipment!

Reminds me of when I was little and caravaning on the Isle of Wight. We got to know the family in the caravan next door, including the father who was wearing a neck brace. We thought nothing of it, until part way through the holiday he stopped wearing it. My dad asked him about it, and he said something along the lines of "I've had a bad neck for a couple of years, since a car accident. This morning I sneezed, there was a big crunch, and its all better now". :rolleyes:

I've been offered a dishwasher for free (its currently sat in my garage), Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to plumb it in to :(

G

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
another one.

this has nearly happened a few times and actually only once. so far.

When straightening blades, I first look along the back with the blade (still hot in tongs) pointing at the roof. Then I look along teh edge with the blade pointing to the roof. Then I hold the blade edge up pointing towards me so I can see any twists down teh blade.

Obviously on short blades this gives me almost an arms length to get the sighting in ;) if it's a longer blade I have to be careful not to smack myself on the nose with a bit of hot metal (upto maybe 600C)! it only hurts abit, but I do feel a tit :lol:

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk

All that from a sneeze! Poor you :eek:

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I was once given a rather large red deer antler and it was rather slow to hacksaw it into pieces so I had a brain wave :eek: Why not use an electric chop saw give a perfect straight cut and very smooth Finnish :rolleyes:.
I got most of it cut up when a nice bit decided it would twist in my hand and force my hand towards the blade and I tried to be superman and stop the blade with my thumb. Which I'm amazed to say worked but it did take its toll on my thumb so out with a hanky and a taxi ride to casualty has left an interesting scar on my thumb now :eek:

We all do silly things as the A & E said that's why they call them accidents

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
is it wrong to laugh at some of your misfortunes?! and love the fact that some of you never learnt from the first time!
Only one that comes to mind is when i was driving back to cornwall from scotland. was doing 80mph and just as i got past the 'welcome to cornwall' sign, a stoat ran out in the road ahead of me and i tried to break to avoid it. car started swerving and ended up crashing into central reservation before spinning round and careered to otherside of road up the embankment. definitely wasn't happening in slow motion and was full on screaming by the time all i could see was trees coming at me in my headlights. luckily a fence stopped me. sat in car and pure relief at how i'd managed to survive without a scratch.
opened car door to step out and promptly fell head first into the ditch that my car had ended up straddling!!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks Rhoda, but I think it stemmed from dislocating my back 20+ years ago playing rugby - I still say washing up is dangerous though :)

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Bit of a double whammy this one.:rolleyes:

I was putting a camping stove (big double burner type) back in the loft at my old house (old terrace with 10’ ceilings), when the ladder broke.
I fell 10’ onto the broken ladder when the cooker fell back out and hit me in the chest. OOOOUUUUCCCHHH.:eek:

Took myself off to A&E, (where I was currently working on security) six broken ribs, they hurt.

BUT, it did not end there, advised during the healing process to go swimming to help expand the chest to aid healing?? Hurts like hell but they say it makes for better healing ribs.

So swimming from the shallow end to the deep end, coming up from the bottom when a bloke jumps in and lands feet first on my face.:eek: :eek:

Broke my nose, split both eye lids/eyebrows open, split both top & bottom lips and really bad pain in my neck.

Off to A&E again, to really have the p155 taken by the Dr’s, eyes stitched up, nose straightened-ish, off to X-ray, to find……. A BROKEN NECK.:eek: :eek: :eek:

I had snapped a bone off one of my vertebra in my neck.

So I looked like a car crash victim for some weeks with a collar on, stitches in my face and really bad bruising and swelling.:eek:

Oooo the memory is making me cringe.

David.from.Holland

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2008
Holland
Not my personal injury, but I witnessed my brother in law jerking on his sleeping bag, trying to pull it out of its compression sack. When the sack finally gave up and decided to let go of the bag his fist shot up with great speed at smacked him square in the eye.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Hi Rhoda

Hurt my back earlier this month Mrs P got so fed up with my moaning she booked me a course of massages, really good makes it almost worth the injury.

Pothunter.

PS. Physio hurts.

I know! Had physio on a shoulder injury a while ago and they thought that something was wrong with my neck then. They put me in one of those traction machines, strapped around my chin with the machine slowly pulling my head away from my neck!!:eek: Worst thing was nothing was wrong with my neck in the first place :lmao:

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
I shot myself in the eye with a BB gun.
It was blocked so I looked down the barrel (not knowing it was cocked and loaded) and accidentally pulled the trigger, it amazing how quick your natural reactions can be because I close my eye in time otherwise it could have been nasty.

I still ended up with a swollen black eye that looked like I'd been punched though :(

Also not exactly ridiculous (just stupid) but when I was 11 or 12 (I think) I decided to skate down a 30% hill with a sea defence wall at the bottom with no brakes on the skates...

It wasn't a good idea :eek:

I broke clean through my right Tibia and Fibia, so there was no bone attaching my foot to my leg! Amazingly I didn't need any metalwork although they did have to reset the bone and I was in a toe to hip cast for about 3 months, which didn't really work as I have a form of claustrophobia that means I can't stand being restricted. The cast had to come off 4 times!

The road is called 'Tramps Alley' which always amused me for some reason.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE