Ridiculous Injury!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
I have just hurt myself in the most ridiculous way. :eek: Out in the garden practicing handstands (don't ask) and I fell onto the side of my face and pulled something in my neck. There was such an ominous crack I though I'd really done something serious. Drove myself off to A&E to make sure and got sent home with painkillers and a red face (nurses smirked when I said how I did it!)
I am not allowed to do any more handstands for some time and may even have to have some physio :( So come on make me feel better, what is the most stupid way that you have hurt yourself? :D

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I note that your public profile lists one of your interests as 'standing on your head'. At least you were being true to yourself!:D

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
No more handstands, tut tut! My cousin did her back in last year getting on the childrens bouncy castle she hired. Its awful getting older isnt it !

Daftest thing I did was injure myself in karate, not by taking a blow, but by kicking a roundhouse so hard I propelled myself a*se over t*t into the air and landed on my chin and chest with my arms spread eagled either side. Kind of like how cartoon characters hit the floor. I only weighed about 5 stone at the time, remarkable how much lift you can gain when your small, I doubt I could ever leave the ground with the force of a kick now.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
most of the silly ways I have hurt myself have been the rsult of alcohol. one that I rememebr (vaguely, form pieced togetehr evidence and memory fragments) was when I was a student the first time around. I was walking across a duel carriageway in Yeovil when I stopped to tie my shoelace (about 12am). I saw lights and looked up; my first thought was "a bus. they hurt.2 my second thought went along the lines of "oh crap!". Then I ran the last 10 feet and jumped the crash barrier. The next day I woke up with a large cut on my palm and a hole in my knee, oh and a cracking hangover. A few days later I was walking home through an under-pass beneath the same duel carriageway, when I stopped to tie my lace on the slope up out onto the path. That's when the tarmack looked rather familiar. When I crossed the barrier I had dropped about 15 feet! Ouch!

Acouple of friends broke things by falling off a 6 inch high wall and putting his hand through a wooden door when drunk :rolleyes:

I'm off for a beer :D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I jumped up to catch hold of something to pull myself up, caught my self badly and tore a tendon in my bicep.
I needed surgery to re-attach it and spent 2 months in a cast.
I still made the bushmoot that year though:D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I remember once I thought it would be a good idea to do a leap-frog over a post.... trouble was alcohol impaired my judgement of just how high it was and I didn't quite make the last couple of inches............... :yikes: I hung there for a couple seconds then toppled off arms outstretched and landed heavily.

I picked myself up and limped off home. Next day I found I couldn't bend my arm at the elbow so thought I better go to A&E where after x-rays they diagnosed I had split the radius along it's length for about 2 inches at the elbow.

When I went back to where it happened the damn post was nearly as tall as I am.... Needless to say I've not tried playing leap-frog anymore.

I'm an instructor in the Army Cadets and part of what I do is teaching kids how to put up shelters/bashas. I always tell them of the dangers of using the old Army favourite bungie cords and I always show them how to put up their shelters using rope/cord. At annual camp, I was helping another adult put up a shelter, and they were using bungie cords attached to tent pegs. Of course, I pushed in a tent peg, he pulled the other end and the tent peg flew out of the ground and smacked me right in the eye, narrowly missing my eye ball but splitting open my eye lid and eye brow. Blood everywhere and off to casualty. I got some amount of stick about that one, especially as I'm the one who preaches about the danger of using bungie cords.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It didn't happen to me (fortunately!) but a friend, just after I got posted to Bergen Hohne. We had been to Dakotas' Steak Hopuse and made our way down town. I had no idea where I was as I had been living there less than a week and we set off in the opposite direction to the main street. After negotiating various gardens (!) we jumped over a fence and ended up at the back of the pub, an Irish bar as I recall. Phelpsy, the lad I crewed up with in Canada, was lying on the floor and wasn't moving much. the other lad said to leave him and literally dragged me away. I wanted to check he was alright though, but when i turned back, he had vanished. I didn't see him until after the weekend.

It seems that the two of us that went over first had been lucky. phelpsy went over the fence last, it was one of those six foot wooden jobs. He landed on a four foot pole that hit his butt cheek! Another few inches, and he would have been violently penetrated by a very large and hard shaft! The bruise was almost black and looked very painful when he showed me it. Of course, I prodded it because we all know how much that hurts, right! That was quite funny!

:D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
ok another one.

my other half requested a pair of wooden swords for her and a mate to practice with. So I made them from good old ash being as tough as old boots ;)

it was getting dark when she asked me to have a go with her (swords only that time :rolleyes: ). I misguessed the distance and she smacked me right in the face with 3 feet of wood! :O

this pic was taken shortly before my beloved twatted me one!
tiffdsk.jpg

leon-1

I have a number of them.

Unarmed combat demo in brand new boots on grass. My feet were supposed to lose traction as we went over they didn't, there was a large crack and a couple of bodies tangled on the ground. Main problem was I could see the bottom of my foot and my leg was supposed to be straight. Broken and dislocated left ankle.

On exercise in Cyprus bugging out, i got jumped whilst carrying a bergan that weighed nearly 200 pounds, it knocked me off balance and I fell down a 100 foot ravine. Result was a partially dislocated shoulder.

My personal favourite, diving in a swimming pool that I was unfamiliar with and none of my mates warned me, my head hit the bottom before my buckle hit the water. Result compressed cartiledge in the neck (between c4 and c5), the muscles in my neck went into spasm and I split my head open.

I have a fair few others.

I hope you feel better soon.

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
standing on the middle table ( from a nest of 3) to change the light bulb. the thing decided to disintegrate leaving me sat in casualty with a sprained wrist and some nice swelling. and yes i tried again and broke the small one :p

hehe unlucky rhoda hope it gets better quick :) , here is a funny one to cheer you up , at one of the Delamere meets we were soaked , took us a while to get the fire going , but when we did I sat next to it on my fold up chair , the fire is roaring now in one of those half drums on legs , I take off my boots and put them just under the drum to dry , socks come off to dry , I then sit back in my comfy folding chair and slide my feet under the barrel which is now glowing red , oooo it was nice and warm , then CRACK ! my chair breaks my legs shoot up and my toes hit the bottom to the drum , everyone around the fire had a great laugh ,,,, except me LOL

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
hehe unlucky rhoda hope it gets better quick :) , here is a funny one to cheer you up , at one of the Delamere meets we were soaked , took us a while to get the fire going , but when we did I sat next to it on my fold up chair , the fire is roaring now in one of those half drums on legs , I take off my boots and put them just under the drum to dry , socks come off to dry , I then sit back in my comfy folding chair and slide my feet under the barrel which is now glowing red , oooo it was nice and warm , then CRACK ! my chair breaks my legs shoot up and my toes hit the bottom to the drum , everyone around the fire had a great laugh ,,,, except me LOL
Well that explains your forum name then :lmao:

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
Had a really nasty one today, whilst tyring to forge a blade i dropped a red hot piece of file which lodged between my foot and shoe, in the gap, it melted my sock which then stuck to me and burned my foot/leg quite badly. it HURTS

so to all those wannabe forgers out there, WEAR RPROPER FOOTWEAR

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
wow Leon1 so many people have died jumping into pools like that. Its one of the first things I learned as a kid: NEVER DIVE HEAD FIRST INTO WATER YOU DON'T KNOW THE DEPTH OFF!!! [/lecture]

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
We were mucking about with an old bit of sponge, you know, one that looks like a rock it's so grey and dirty, we were shouting "brick!" and then headering it or kicking it. We chucked it away and continued on home and... well you know what's coming next. One of the guys shouted brick and instead of jumping out the way I went in for the header. Knocked out, carried home, 3 stiches in the napper :aargh4: No other lasting damage although some may disagree. :rolleyes:

Got hooked with a sword one time during taichi practice, thought I was stepping inside his guard but somehow sword went into my mouth :eek: the two of us fell about laughing, not very zen :D

Cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE