Ridgeline against Swazi Tahr ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Anybody ever done a comparison between these two coats ?
Ive just got a Ridgeline Monsoon and must say I'm very impressed with the quality. It wouldn't surprise me if it beats the 3x more Tahr

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
My mate had a Ridgeline monsoon, and a very nice jacket it was too, but we both preferred my Swazi Tahr!
But would i spent that money again now!
You do get what you pay for, but i just don't have that kind of money these days!
I would buy a Ridgeline, but wish i had the money for the Swazi!
Once you have had the best, it is hard to have anything else!
But you do get a hell of a lot for your money with the Ridgeline, and i would have one as a spare.
Hope this helps!

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
The Ridgeline jackets used to get a lot of stick here about build quality - pockets falling off etc. My father in law has one of these and he really rates it. It's a good coat.
I have a Swazi Wapiti - no way would I ever be able to afford to replace it - great coat, and you know you can trust it to do its job. I went to the Swazi shop in Levin, by the factory recently - nice stuff but bloomin expensive. I have a Swazi Back 40 fleece - been wearing it for 5 years and it is now half the thickness it was when I bought it. It's gone from outdoor winter wear, to something I wear inside in the evenings!
Most of my fleece gear is Ridgeline - they have cornered the market in fleece T's here - everybody (in the country anyway) wears them!

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
Well Buddy I will let you know,

I have an RM Swazi Tahr, and my mate has just bought a Ridgeline Monsoon; funnily enough we where planning on doing a comparison when we meet for our May Bushy meet.

Will let you know Troop

Anybody ever done a comparison between these two coats ?
Ive just got a Ridgeline Monsoon and must say I'm very impressed with the quality. It wouldn't surprise me if it beats the 3x more Tahr

H2497

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2008
London / Herefordshire
I cannot comment on the Thar, but I have used a Ridgline smock for stalking in scotland and england. Its not fallen to bits after some hard use and has given me excellent protection, its a good bit of kit.

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
Well from my point of view both have been well and truly tested this past weekend as it's been pi**ing down in not so sunny Essex and our July meet ended up being more of a bath, anyway i digress, Both jackets performed admirably although the Tahr did take more of a water pounding than the Ridgeline version, although the Ridgeline did not let water in it did wetout especially round the shoulders, which after nearly 3 years of use i have not had once yet with my Tahr. Personally i think for the price the Ridgeline is a bloody good buy and stands up admirably against the more expensive Swazi but i feel the Swazi is by far the better quality item, depends how often it will get used etc but what will be really interesting is how the Ridgeline has fared after as may years of hard use as my Swazi. I spoke to Chris Caine about this at the Bushcraft Show this year and he pretty much agreed with me as we compared coats continually over what was a very wet and torential 27hr period from Sat night to Mon morning, and Chris eventually returned to his own coat, the Ridgeline is a stonker for the money but the Swazi Tahr is the better of the two imho. Having said that not everybody can afford a Swazi thats for sure and to be honest if it hadn't been bought as a present i would be the owner of a Ridgeline too.

I will keep posting on here as the extended comparison goes on, hopefully should be interesting.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well from my point of view both have been well and truly tested this past weekend as it's been pi**ing down in not so sunny Essex and our July meet ended up being more of a bath, anyway i digress, Both jackets performed admirably although the Tahr did take more of a water pounding than the Ridgeline version, although the Ridgeline did not let water in it did wetout especially round the shoulders, which after nearly 3 years of use i have not had once yet with my Tahr. Personally i think for the price the Ridgeline is a bloody good buy and stands up admirably against the more expensive Swazi but i feel the Swazi is by far the better quality item, depends how often it will get used etc but what will be really interesting is how the Ridgeline has fared after as may years of hard use as my Swazi. I spoke to Chris Caine about this at the Bushcraft Show this year and he pretty much agreed with me as we compared coats continually over what was a very wet and torential 27hr period from Sat night to Mon morning, and Chris eventually returned to his own coat, the Ridgeline is a stonker for the money but the Swazi Tahr is the better of the two imho. Having said that not everybody can afford a Swazi thats for sure and to be honest if it hadn't been bought as a present i would be the owner of a Ridgeline too.

I will keep posting on here as the extended comparison goes on, hopefully should be interesting.

How's that Monsoon doing lately, we've had plenty of rain :)

I've got an original Tahr but thinking about freeing up some collateral and getting the Monsoon

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
Hi Shewie

Sorry for late response been in Hospital for a couple of days having some tests done. Well the comparison between the two is on going, but i think both myself and my mate who owns the Ridgeline have come to the same conclusion, for the money the Ridgeline Monsoon is an excellent Tahr clone, but does not perform quite as well as the Tahr, I have had my Tahr 3 years now and apart from it having a regular wash, as we all know Gore-tex has to be kept clean to work proper like, it has been a phenominal bit of kit, with no leaks or wetout and has performed A1 in the worst weathers, one of which was being stuck in a storm on the side of some god forsaken fell in Cumbria for several hours, and it outperformed my otherhalf's StormKloth jacket that day too; the Ridgeline is coming up for it's first birthday and as i have said performs well but there is wetout and a bit of seam leakage in real heavy prolonged rain. You pays your money and takes your choice really, but IMHO if you have a Tahr stick with it as i can see mine well outlasting a Ridgeline, plus i'm a great beliver in you get what you pay for and i don't see how at half the price the materials and workmanship in a Ridgeline can be as top notch as the Swazi. But just to throw more cats among the pidgeons Bushwear have just started to sell two more Tahr clones, The TITAN by Swedteam @ £350.00 which looks like a Ridgeline but with pouch and breast pocket as well as handwarmers which is again Gore-tex and has a 6yr warranty, and the Deerhunter TEMPEST Anorak @ £160.00 Which is a Tahr copy no pockets etc and i'm assuming made from Deer-tex which is Deerhunters alleged water proof material, but having a Realtree Smock by them in that material it's good and windproof but no way 100% waterproof in torential stair rod weather.
Conclusion IMO the Tahr is still the original and best of the KIWI style Hunting / Stalking Smock style Anorak designs, hope that helps?

scottcountry

Gold Trader
Sep 10, 2010
Castle Douglas
I personally really rate the Ridgeline Monsoon II Smock, and although am quite spoilt when it comes to top end kit, having both Harkila Pro Hunter, and a Nomad Smock. (i work for Scott Country) the Monsoon II is the one I reach for off the clothing rack.

The Monsoon in my personal opinion takes a hell of a lot of beating in terms of performance, and value for money, and it looks great too.

I just posted a review up on a thread in our Trade Forum section, and copied into here for you

monsoondeal.jpg

Although my opinion may be seen as biased as I am the Sales Manager for Scott Country, i will be completely honest in my short review below:

I have also included the official fabric test report, which manufacturers seldom release

I was given my Monsoon II when they first came out in 2011 by John at Ridgeline. I had until them always been a Harkila ProHunter fan, and have both jacket and trousers. I have a labrador gun dog that needs loads of exercise and am on the hill at least twice a day.

Living in Scotland the weather here is less than ideal, and recently have experienced the wettest weather on record.

I often tell people who ask what the garment is when I am wearing the Monsoon (with my Pro Hunter trousers) that it's akin to "closing the double glazing when its pouring outside"

Literally with the hood up and the hatches battened down, i will it to rain heavier as I know nothing will get through.

People often say wearing waterproof membrane gear can get very hot, and yes like most Gore Tex type garments, (Monsoon using RL Tex) the Monsoon can get toasty, however if you wear the right undergarment, and ensure the chest zip is vented during high activity, I have never found it a problem.

I wear a microfibre base t shirt, or base layer and never find an issue, even when working on the hill during high activity it performs perfectly.

My only "grumble" is that I often dont strap down the cuffs, and when picking up wet dummys from ditches etc, or climbing over fences I get the inside of the cuffs wet. It's not an issue as you have the inner storm cuffs so water doesnt work its way inside, its just when you next go to wear the jacket later in that day, you feel a bit clamy and cold when you first put it on. Saying that if you dry it properly then its never an issue, i usually throw mine in a heap in the back of the vehicle.

I have worn my Monsoon in literally a "Monsoon" and its performed better than expected.

The pockets are well sealed, and with the waterproof zip covers, my iphone or GPS can live safely in the pocket easy to get to when I need it.

For the money, and in my vast clothing experience, i honestly dont know of a better garment.

Take my short review with a pinch of salt if you wish, but it is completely honest.

Paul

Attachments

• monsoonofficialtestresults.jpg
    monsoonofficialtestresults.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 40

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Just a different perspective...

I have the Monsoon (smock) and Roar (jacket) Ridgeline versions and the Wapiti (jacket) Swazi version. I find that both the Ridgeline and Swazi versions are totally waterproof. As you might expect, Swazi scores on quality, with the Ridgelines having some loose seam taping and missed sewing on seams, but this is not a big deal. However, when it comes to breathability, I find there is no contest. The Swazi version until very recently has been Gore tex and breathes as well as any quality Gore tex jacket, which for me is plenty. I stay dry underneath even when walking hard. The Ridgeline versions hardly seem to breathe at all and I end up wringing wet when wearing them under any kind of exertion. Even with wicking base-layers underneath, I still end up wet through. Our local store up here sold quite a few of the Monsoons to gamekeepers and they have been coming in grumbling about the same thing.

I have the Ridgeline Monsoon/Roar trousers as well and after half a day's shooting wearing these my legs were soaking wet.

However, Swazi have just switched away from Gore tex to a new "proprietary" breathable fabric for their Tahr and Wapiti. They claim the fabric is even more breathable than Gore tex. In my book, there are Gore tex and eVent, which really do breathe, then there is everything else, which doesn't. So I can't speak for the performance of the latest versions.

I looked up the breathability (g/m2/24 hours) for some other MVP products. Goretex Pro Shell is 25,000g, eVent is 22,000g. RL Tex is 1,008g.

Last edited:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I was suprised at the lack of breathabilty in the Ridgeline. Did a few kms on a drizzly day in it and soon got into a sweating/chilling cycle, not nice. Its a good coat for sedentary/atv use but I'll stick to paramo or goretex for walking.

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
Just a different perspective...

I have the Monsoon (smock) and Roar (jacket) Ridgeline versions and the Wapiti (jacket) Swazi version. I find that both the Ridgeline and Swazi versions are totally waterproof. As you might expect, Swazi scores on quality, with the Ridgelines having some loose seam taping and missed sewing on seams, but this is not a big deal. However, when it comes to breathability, I find there is no contest. The Swazi version until very recently has been Gore tex and breathes as well as any quality Gore tex jacket, which for me is plenty. I stay dry underneath even when walking hard. The Ridgeline versions hardly seem to breathe at all and I end up wringing wet when wearing them under any kind of exertion. Even with wicking base-layers underneath, I still end up wet through. Our local store up here sold quite a few of the Monsoons to gamekeepers and they have been coming in grumbling about the same thing.

However, Swazi have just switched away from Gore tex to a new "proprietary" breathable fabric for their Tahr and Wapiti. They claim the fabric is even more breathable than Gore tex. In my book, there are Gore tex and eVent, which really do breathe, then there is everything else, which doesn't. So I can't speak for the performance of the latest versions.

Agree with you there Nonsuch as i have an original Gore-tex Tahr, it will be interesting to see what people buying the new Aegis Tahr, have to say about it.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Update : I decided to go for a set of the Tahr-type Swazi over-trousers to evaluate the performance of the new Aegis fabric over the old Swazi Gore tex fabric. Imported them direct from NZ very easily. First impressions were not what I expected.

Compared to the outgoing Swazi Tussock Green Goretex fabric, Aegis appears to be:
- Heavier and stiffer - quite rustly in fact, and not as nice to wear, with a very synthetic, rather coarse feel. Looks and feels a cheaper fabric.
- Tougher
- More tan/brown-ish than the nice grey-brown-green of the old colour
- Subjectively, slightly sweatier, based on one 5 mile walk in warm conditions. Further extensive testing to come.

So the verdict so far: get your hands on an old Swazi Gore Tex Tahr/Wapiti if you can find one. I'm not convinced about Aegis, and suspect the motives for the switch at Swazi were economy rather than quality...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Interesting, I'll be hanging onto my old Tahr then

Did the outer "wet out" like the older softer one does after a while? I've never had it come through but I've had sodden shoulders on long paddling days in the rain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE