Richard III found.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Funny I've been in many Leicestershire car parks. The stairs in some are strewen with Richard the Thirds!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Old 'Dick the S***' or Richard the turd is found at last. To be honest when you look at it its a fantastic achievement. Go back thirty years and it could not have been done; it would have just led to speculation...science does have its uses after all :)

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
Only now the argument starts on where to put him back in the ground. I hear that the Yorkshire council have petitioned the Queen to get him buried there instead of the pre-agreed burial spot back in Leicestershire.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have been following this with a great deal of interest, for me it says a great deal about recent attitudes toward disability, in that it was fashionable to say that his hunchback was a Tudor invention, to blacken his character by the imputation that an imperfect body meant and imperfect soul. However that says more to me about contemporary devaluation of impairment than Tudor times, because although the bones show as clearly as you can that he had an imperfect body, he was nonetheless capable of wearing armour and fighting vigorously in the field. I share some of the physical characteristics of Richard, one of my shoulders is markedly higher than the other, but that does not a malicious or evil person me make. I also have unusually slender bones and other mild deformities.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Only now the argument starts on where to put him back in the ground. I hear that the Yorkshire council have petitioned the Queen to get him buried there instead of the pre-agreed burial spot back in Leicestershire.

Quite right too :) his son is buried in the minster and he was of the "York" line.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I heard on the radio that the re-burial spot had already been choosen and was part of the approval given to exume the remains. i.e. they have to lay him to his final resting place in Leicestershire.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Seems that the DNA evidence isn't quite as clear cut as some seem to make out...

Before we get carried away, there was no "smoking gun" in the announcement, no single piece of evidence that made it absolutely certain that this was Richard III. The DNA results were impressive, but they were from mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) alone. They showed that the two known maternal-line descendants of Richard III shared sequences of mtDNA in common with the excavated remains.

What was missing from the announcement was any indication of how common such mtDNA sequences might be in western European populations. The failure to take such considerations into account can lead to basic errors such as what happened several years ago, when it was claimed that Mesolithic Cheddar Man had a descendant in the person of a history teacher living near where the remains were found. The public (and the media) are easily persuaded by DNA evidence, so these are the remains of Richard III.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
So it looked like R3, killed like R3, buried like R3, DNA like R3 but it was really a disabled monk who had committed the worst case of suicide in history? Obvious really.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
So it looked like R3, killed like R3, buried like R3, DNA like R3 but it was really a disabled monk who had committed the worst case of suicide in history? Obvious really.

My point being that the "absolutely solid DNA evidence" might not be as solid as the press are making out.
Its worth pointing out that there's varying degrees of probabilities with DNA evidence cos you never know, one day it might be an innocent man being jailed on shakey evidence.:)

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
My point being that the "absolutely solid DNA evidence" might not be as solid as the press are making out.
Its worth pointing out that there's varying degrees of probabilities with DNA evidence cos you never know, one day it might be an innocent man being jailed on shakey evidence.:)
Absolutely agree about DNA and evidence. This is interesting on fallacies associated with DNA evidence
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosecutor%27s_fallacy but note that we are not looking at a random group with Richard but a selection from those possibles given the circumstances.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE