Review Of Bushman Graduate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Ok So i've been running a series of tests over the last couple of days and I finished today and here are my results and evaluations.

Specs:
Blade length 9 cm
Handle length 10.5cm
Black dyed ashwood handle
4mm thick blade
Flat grind( available in convex)
Hidden tang

2222.jpg

I like the fact that it has a good thick blade which makes using the chestlever grip a doddle, it is a great all-rounder knife although because the blade is so thick it isn't the best utility knife.
100_0885.jpg

100_0891.jpg

But as you can see it get's the job done.

Ok well cutting through potatoes and mushrooms is one thing but I wanted to take it a step further so I went out and bought a couple of Mackeral and specifically made sure they were not gutted or filleted. So this morning I took it out in the garden and began gutting it. Bearing in mind that I had had it for a week and put it through alot of tasks already i can honestly say that it coped really well with the gutting and slicing through fish flesh, my hands and the handle were covered in fish slime and offal and still it stayed true and did not slip.
100_0892.jpg

100_0893.jpg

I then cooked it on the fire that I had made with feather sticks carved from the bushman, I never had been very good at feather sticks but the Bushman made sure that the one I did make was good enough.

I also put the tip to the test by perforating a hole in a piece of hardwood

100_0886.jpg

And as you can see it coped brilliantly and I could still shave my arms when finished.

It was only today when I needed to give it a strop and after a few minutes on the Starkie Sharp it was back to shaving my arms although i've had to go onto my legs now ( going to get some funny looks in P.E :shock: ).

The spine is perfect for scraping off bark from sticks, If I filed the spine i'm sure i could get a fine shower of sparks from a firesteel but I prefer to use the striker that is supplied with them.

The leather sheath feels really secure and comfortable and is quite well made, it has a loop on the back which attaches to your belt so no fancy uncomfortable over the top stuff. The loop that is on the side to house the firesteel i think is meant for a scout model but I managed to fit an army model in there and then polish it back to it's original black.

The only thing I can find wrong with it is the handle length perhaps 1 or 2 cm's bigger would make it much more comfortable to work with but having said that I have still managed to get along with it fine and i do have quite big hands (21cm from wrist to tip).

In conclusion this is an excellent knife with a great feel about it, it is something I would definitely take out with me as my primary knife (perhaps a mora as a backup- although you would only need the backup if the Bushman was lost or severely damaged) It has fantastic edge retention and is great for skinning and carving. For more information visit www.bushmanuk.co.uk or give the smith a PM who is a member on both here and British Blades (user name is bushmanuk).

So that's pretty much it i can't think of much else to say about it but if you would like any questions answered feel free to ask. Your Opinions please.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Thanks for your comments guys, keep em coming :wink:

Oh i forgot to mention it but if anyone was interested it is 01 toolsteel.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
well done Scott.The knife looks right and reading your review, functions and handles exactly as you want it to.Its refreshing that you sourced and purchased your new bushcraft knife with an open mind and didn't secumb to 'fashion' as there are some strong opinions on optimum bushcraft knives.This knife will now be added to the list 'for consideration' by other bushcrafters looking for a new blade.Well done :wink:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Thanks for all the comments everyone! Also any criticisms of the writing of the review and anything else I could have included would be appreciated so I know for next time I write one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE