Revenge Of The Plastic Spork

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greeneggcat

Forager
Sep 9, 2005
wet wet gloucestershire
Dun...dun.........durnnn.....

So it starts like this..

I am lazy and absent minded ( the mind bit or absence of comes from too much herbal experimentation as a jung un ;) ;) intentional freudian slip ! ) anywho i loose things, easily, and i like to minimize the amount of hot/warm water i use. Being lazy i dont like to have to wash too many dishes after cooking/eating either. So along came my miracle : http://www.kirou.com/wp-content/spork-700806.jpg

A trusty companion on many a journey and a vital tool in the consumption of my famous (infamous) slop/stew. Now i like to work on the assumption that if it is liquid (ie soup) you drink it, without the use of eating utensils. For any thing else my trusty spork is a gift ;) .

My knife does many things but it just doesnt spoon well. I love my knife, i love my spork. Today in my laziness ( could not be arsed to search for wood, the need for caffeine overwhelmed my better self ) i was betrayed!

Such a blow was struck as i, in my wearyness, brewed and cooked my night fast breaking feast ( bacon butty ), i could not help but take a picture. :rolleyes:

http://s714.photobucket.com/albums/ww145/greeneggcat/?albumview=slideshow

The views are there to show why i was feeling so lazy;) ;)

Well after ths "betrayal" i will now try carving my own spork, as per Mr. Fenna's assertations on a previous thread. So my knife which is not a spoon or fork will make a spork which is not a spoon or knife. Failing that i will buy one of those evil t*****um sporks!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Shame about the betrayal:rolleyes: ...now go and get a Ti version from Lurch....Mini SWMBO loves hers:D
lmfsporkti.jpg

http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Pots__Pans_and_Cutlery.html

Simon

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Yup

Sporks seem a bit fragile to me.

I was given one as a gift, but I can't say that I trust it as it seems very flimsy.

I dare say it won't be long before I manage to break it.

Phill

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Greeneggcat, did your spork break through the vertical part of the T in light? If so (or even if it didn't) email LMF in Sweden and explain the problem to them and they may well send you a free replacement - they did for me! And they enclosed a free "spork medium" for my troubles!

Worth a punt either way.

Chris

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:( :(
My plastic spork broke whilst in my brew kit pouch!:sigh:
wasn't even doing anything strenuous, very dischuffed!

I'm sticking with Lexan spoons, had them for years they've never come close to breaking and they've had a harder life than my 2 week old spork!

may be a case of "jack of all trades, master of none"!:Thinkingo

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm glad you started this thread, I nearly bought 3 for a fiver of these sporks to put into the brew kit. I don't think I'll bother now.
My lexan spoons are now at least three years old and kick about my rucksacs with the folding kuksas, they seem to be bomb proof. :approve:
I bought one of the Titanium sporks (in a pretty purpley pink :rolleyes: ) from Andrew at Outdoorcode, and it's been the bees knees............though that said, I quite like the look of the double ender that Lurch has on his site :cool: Mine's just a fork ended spoon.

cheers,
Toddy

greeneggcat

Forager
Sep 9, 2005
wet wet gloucestershire
Hi chris, yeah i will try for a free one,got to be worth a go. Strangely i have just half inched a genuine 70's s/s spork from my granny's cutlery draw :D It is like that plastic one in your link oetzi. I love the fact that they come in orange!

I am thinking of using my granny's one as a design to try and carve my own. It is slightly more rectangular then rounded. Very geometric. I will try to post some picks of it and my humble carving attempts as time permits.

"The spork is dead! Long live the spork!" ;)

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Greeneggcat,

If you PM me your address I'll send you a new Spork. Must have been a flaw in it for it to break like that. They are normally pretty indestructible.

Vince
Light My Fire UK.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Whats wrong with a spoon? or if weight is not a problem, a knife, fork and spoon:rolleyes: I have lost a spoon in the past, but never had one break on me:)

greeneggcat

Forager
Sep 9, 2005
wet wet gloucestershire
Hello Rik, its not a weight issue, its a me issue.

I have had about 20 different kfs sets over the years and have managed to loose bits from them the first time i seperate and use their constituent parts. I used to just use kitchen cutlery with my initials etched into them, when i was younger, but even that soon ran out.

It took me a while to realise how much cutlery i actually misplaced! Some might say it is a curse, but i say it is a skill :eek:

Anywhoo the lmf spork is a brilliant design, apart from really tough meat you can use it for just about any thing,and the fact that it is double ended and all in one means that i dont lose bits of it! (until it broke, but the good chap at lmf is sorting that)

The spoon is the right size for measuring the morning coffee powder dosage and eating my museli, soup, stew, ratpak or whatever.

The fork end is sturdy enough to be good at stabbing things like sausage and meat and veg chunks, it also copes well with noodles and pasta. There is also a bit of a cutting tool on the fork which deals with most things but doesnt rag your mouth.

Its hard to describe why i find it suits me so well. Suffice to say it dont scratch my pans when i use it for cooking, its very ergonomic, light, brightly coloured, and it has just become an extension of myself at mealtimes so much so that after years of trying different things it is now one of those pieces of kit that stays with me and gets used every time i go out (and not lost).

Until this "betrayal" as i referred to it earlier me and my spork had bonded it had been with me that long! (about 3 years i think) :D

See all those words about a shaped piece of plastic........obviously ate too many of those dodgy wild mushrooms when i was younger :theyareon

:240:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I read a book by Chris Bonnington about an Everest expedition and he said he needed take something like 100 extra bright orange plastic mugs because so many just disappeared on trips. I believe the mug/KFS thief must be related to the sock thief that lives in your washing machine:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE