Return to the Dark Ages - Photos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Here's some of the photos of the Dark Age meet at Danelaw.

sm_DSC_0019.jpg

I had an inkling at this point that when Wayland said "Come to Danelaw for a dirty weekend", it wasn't exactly as I'd imagined.

sm_DSC_0020.jpg

Making "Daub"

sm_DSC_0041.jpg

Child labour laws didn't exist in the dark ages

sm_DSC_0042.jpg

So we worked the twins to a standstill.

sm_DSC_0022.jpg

Adding water to the straw and mud.

sm_DSC_0023.jpg

A knackered old man

sm_DSC_0027.jpg

A short period of recovery

sm_DSC_0028.jpg

Refreshed and ready to skive again

sm_DSC_0030.jpg

Just a posey shot in the longhouse

sm_DSC_0031.jpg

And another, just for fun

sm_DSC_0035.jpg

Yea! Slap it on and rub it in.

sm_DSC_0036.jpg

Dirty Vikings!

sm_DSC_0038.jpg

sm_DSC_0039.jpg

sm_DSC_0040.jpg

"Oi! Gerr orf moi land"

I look forward with great anticipation to the other photos that were taken by other fellow peasants.

A most enjoyable weekend Gary. Thanks so much for organising it. Thanks also to everyone for their friendship and good company.

Eric

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Great pictures Eric (and love the captions!)

Thanks for organizing it Wayland, I had a great time, though I wasnt seen about much I spent most of it indoors carving a spoon and doing leather work. Last time we did the meet, several members of the public popped their heads round the door so I wanted to look the part, but nobody did this time , which is odd because last meet the weather conditions were FAR worse!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That looks fun!
Daubing is fun!
I did a bit (building an extension for an orphanage in Thailand) a while back and it is definately a case of "many( dirty) hands make light work!
Did you mix in any cow dung to give it extra durability?

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Looks good. Shame I couldn't make it, but just to confuse things, here's a pic of my costume from the Sat'day. Took an age to make, but was v well received.

100_2480.jpg

Hope to get to the next one. SWMBO has promised I can go, even if it falls on a W/E she has plans. Brownie points - just love em.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Great costume Paul. judging by that I bet you put loads of effort into the viking costume to.:)

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
Thank all for a good weekend. Me and Roberta had a great time.

Sorry we didnt get chance to say goodbye to everyone, hope you all had a safe journey back to the 21st century.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks like a great weekend, I'll try and make it up one day.

Paul, your looking very trim there, didn't recognise you without the flecktarn : )

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I really enjoyed all the pictures as they tell such a story. Your faces tell the most. Wonderful! Thank you.

Swyn.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Thanks for the pics Eric. I see you still cut a dash in fine clothing!!! Dirty weekends? Much safer with the daub at your age!!!!! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE