Restoring a pine table

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I am trying to restore a pine kitchen table that has stood outside under a tarp for six months and sweated so there is what seems like black mildew ingrained in the surface. I have sanded it, scrubbed it with hot soapy water and tried planing the surface which doesn't work too well as it is uneven.

No success. Although much has come off there is still lots left and seems to be deep in the grain. I wonder if anyone has any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
To be honest if the mildew has been there for some time it'll be right into the grain, if a good hard sanding doesn't work I'd use bleach, neutralise it with water afterwards and then let it dry.
To finish, if you want the 'old' pine look, resand if needed, then you can finish with Briwax (P7 Antique Pine). If you want a more water resistant finish, then a coat or two of Danish oil, allow to dry between coats, then when it's dry use the Briwax.

If you need any more info give me a shout, I've been restoring antique pine furniture for 20+ years.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Joiners working in old houses use hydrogen peroxide. Having seen the results I can attest that it works very well indeed :)

cheers,
Toddy

sorry Chris, cross posted :eek:
M

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Thanks to you all. I will try Chris' suggestion first and use bleach. If that doesn't work then it's hydrogen peroxide.

Chris, should I apply the bleach neat with a scrubbing brush or is there a better way?

Jul 13, 2009
South Wales
As said above Oxalic acid will remove black markings, but it acts as an abrasive so you cant just rub in the area of the black stain as you will end up with a noticeable hollow, you need to go over the whole top to evenly remove the layers. it is horrible stuff so breathing apparatus is essential and do outside if poss, the oxalic will need to be cleaned off and neutralized with Acetic acid this again is horrible and is so strong it will strip the flesh off your fingers quite easily, so a good pair of nitrile gloves will need to be worn throughout the process. to be honest unless you have already got all the stuff i wouldn't bother going down this route, its not a pleasent job for the most experienced finishers. in my opinion i would use a two part Super Bleach much safer and easier to use for a novice, you can get any of this stuff from http://www.jpennyltd.co.uk/Sitemap.php i have used him for many years

Hope this helps
atb
Scott

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Thanks Scott. No table is worth the skin on my fingers! Bleach it is and if that doesn't work i'll live with the stains.

Jul 13, 2009
South Wales
Thanks Scott. No table is worth the skin on my fingers! Bleach it is and if that doesn't work i'll live with the stains.

I've work for years with furniture and if the stain doesn't want to come it aint gonna!
if the bleach doesn't work just think of the stains as part of the history of the table when it spent part of its life living in the garden and survived, and if anybody ever comments just say its "character":eek:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I've work for years with furniture and if the stain doesn't want to come it aint gonna!
if the bleach doesn't work just think of the stains as part of the history of the table when it spent part of its life living in the garden and survived, and if anybody ever comments just say its "character":eek:

Good advice.

Nov 1, 2009
devon
dont use oxalic acid unless you have had experience in using this product before or are going to be supervised by some-one that has, I've used it several times and poisoned myself once, not a nice experience massive stomach cramps, fever and sickness!!!:( having been a joiner for 9 years + i would reconmend a cabinet scraper to remove the old finish and mould as best you can and then refinish with a good quality wax (coloured wax will help hide any mould remaining)

hope this information helps

carl

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those are usually the actions of dodgy antiques dealers trying to fake the wear and tear of centuries on a piece of furniture.
Why did you do that to a poor unsuspecting table ?

Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Chris nicked my post lol or what I would have posted, bleach and Briwax and if they don't clear it you'll have to live with the stains. Just to cover my bottom I strongly advise you not to drink or wash in bleach and not to eat the Briwax as you may come to harm if you do either or both;)

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
Those are usually the actions of dodgy antiques dealers trying to fake the wear and tear of centuries on a piece of furniture.
Why did you do that to a poor unsuspecting table ?

Toddy

As stated above I like them rough. I don't care how old it is, wood is wood and I could care less the value or perceived value. I want a table that I can beat beer mugs against at a kitchen party and can use for a winter workshop table without worrying about a scratch that will make the furniture police cry.

Also kids make sure you can never have nice things and to get angry at them for scratching a piece of furniture just stifles scientific creativity and curiosity so they are always welcome to be creative and experiment at my table.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Pour meths over the stain and set it on fire this can work with oil stains but try it on the under side of table first , if that does not work try varnishing the bit affected and sanding it off after 30 seconds this can lift the stains out

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Here's a thing I've sometimes had success with when trying to get mildew out of stuff - get some Hibiscrub (Chlorhexidine) from the local feedstore or farm shop, around £5 for 500ml, and pour it over the whole table top, leave for a few hours then wash the table down, leave to dry then sand. This stuff is antimicrobial and antifungal, used to cleanse skin and wounds, also as a mouthwash so is non - toxic...........on a good few occasions this has saved the day for me - if it doesn't work you lose a fiver but no work or effort wasted.................atb mac

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Thanks again for all your suggestions. I eventually used household bleach, applied neat with a scrubbing brush, then washed off with hot water. The mildew marks have almost disappeared and we can live with the result so no nasty acids are necessary.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Earlier in this process i used walnut oil on the table after scrubbing and it highlighted the marks so now, having almost got rid of them I'm reluctant to add wax or oil in case the marks reappear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE