Rest easy in your bed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Hi all,

Thought I would highlight this new kitchen knife, its certainly a must have and maybe even gives new ideas for anyone designing a new bushcraft knife.
Lets hope its not too sharp and we will hopefully all stay safe supping our soup. (thats all we will eat soon as cutting meat is going to get increasingly difficult)

And without going into further detail, what will they come up with next to ban, bench grinders!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6501720.ece

Stay safe.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So might one then imply that any of them given as engagement or wedding presents is really an indication of the donor's opinion of the marriage ?
Or husbands or wives purchasing them do so with relief ?

That's a ridiculous price too. Kitchen devil's nor Sabatier cost a fraction of that.

cheers,
Toddy

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
So might one then imply that any of them given as engagement or wedding presents is really an indication of the donor's opinion of the marriage ?
Or husbands or wives purchasing them do so with relief ?

That's a ridiculous price too. Kitchen devil's nor Sabatier cost a fraction of that.

cheers,
Toddy

Nice one, hadn't thought of that. Better lay off the frying pans as well! lol

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
why would it be any safer than a screwdriver - that isn't 'sharp' and is thicker than the blade I'm sure..... :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We do have a 'knife' culture in the UK. Rather than guns the numpties reach for a knife.
I don't think it's the knife that's the issue, unlike guns they have been commonplace in our society since the earliest times. It's a shift in behaviour that's needed, and knives like this aren't going to do it.

Someplaces I work it's gotten so that I can even tell what type of blade caused what facial scarring. From the kitchen bread knife to a fish filleter, or a razor, to the stanley or a screwdriver.
The only one I just couldn't get, at all, turned out to be from when the fellow had fallen off a tenement building :rolleyes:

I think the most postive thing I could say about this new knife and it's creation is, "nice try". I think it misses the point :rolleyes: iimmc

cheers,
Toddy

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Maybe it would be easier for the government in the long run to ban absolutely everthing (and remove from circulation) that has ever been used to main and kill other people, and make a approved list of the things that have not been used to maim and kill.

To be helpful, I'll start the list:
errr.. I must be lacking imagination...:confused:

Nice knife...looks a bit daft but nice :rolleyes:. could make a nice slashing tool...now what could I slash with it...

As Toddy says it misses the point, again, that it's not the tool, it's the hand, and the brain attached (assuming there is one) to it that causes the trouble.

We do have a 'knife' culture in the UK. Rather than guns the numpties reach for a knife.

This is a large part of the problem - the media tag of 'knife culture' and 'knife crime' has entered common useage and has taken on the illusion of meaning.

What is 'knife crime'? Why is an attack with a knife given it's own little niche label whereas an attack with a golf club / axe / screwdriver / pointy stick' is covered by the blanket term 'violent crime'

By highlighting the knife as having some kind of 'culture' the media has escillated the useage of knives by those who either want to be part of this percieved 'culture' or by those afraid that they might be the only one not tooled up to the eyeballs and need to defend themselves.

Banning items makes them more attractive to the criminally inclined. It makes them all the more 'cool'

As I have mentioned before, knife attacks among youths and violent crime / gang culture was the justification for banning flick knives in the late 50's - again used in the late 80's to ban balisongs and other items and here we are over 50 / 20 years on still trotting out the same PR in an attempt to be seen to be doing something.

This latest knife design is silly. It totally misses the point as Toddy says - I personally don't give a hoot what someone uses to attack another person - I'd rather find out why they attacked another person and deal with those issues.

Either that, or we ban hands.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
tbh i dont think these will prevent anything. with all other improvised weapons aside you can't stab someone but you can still slip it accross someones neck:confused: utter rubbish

pete

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
these knives would be valueable in prisons and hostels.

How do you get that? I think that without much application of thought a person could do just as much damage with one of these new knives as ever could be done with pointed knives.

Besides which are slicing wounds not just as likely to be fatal (if in the correct place) and more difficult to treat as a stabbing wound.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Does the same company make safety knitting needles? I've just seen the missus narrow her eyes when she's been doing the knit one pearl one and I'm a bit worried:eek:.

Should I start buying safety nail guns as well?

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Besides which are slicing wounds not just as likely to be fatal (if in the correct place) and more difficult to treat as a stabbing wound.

Stab wounds can certainly be easier to treat, but stabbing is a much more 'natural' way to kill somebody to most people than slashing. Slashing, for one thing, typically results in a much shallower wound which in turn is less likely to be fatal. 'if in the correct place' is correct, but slashing with a knife is only as reliably fatal as stabbing if the knife is in the hands of a skilled and trained knife fighter. Stabbing requires little effort, training and knowledge, and given that it's easier to inflict 10-20 stab wounds than 10-20 slashes, you can probably understand why someone would go for a stab.

I know that's somewhat besides the point, I just thought it was worth mentioning that the idea of a stab-proof knife is neither new nor completely ineffective; why do we think that deck knives often have a fairly square sheepsfoot point? Tis said that there were times where any sailor setting foot on a ship with a pointed knife would have the tip of it snapped off, which is more than likely why so many british penknives exist a cm or so shorter than they should be.

This remains a stupid idea, of course, for the simple reasons that:
A) most people don't pay £50 for kitchen knives
B) Most people that do aren't going to buy that one
C) If in doubt, tescos sells pointy ones for 99p
D) Those who kill will find something else to kill with, if they are somehow thick or lazy enough to be outsmarted by a stab-proof kitchen knife

Pete

these knives would be valueable in prisons and hostels.

Prisoners etc. have had a long and successful history manufacturing very effective pointed weapons. These silly knives will neither discourage or prevent any injury. But it will make people sleep safer in their beds believing 'something' has been done. :rolleyes:

completely ineffective; why do we think that deck knives often have a fairly square sheepsfoot point?

Marine knives had blunt tips to prevent accident, not attack. A sheepsfoot blade makes perfect sence in this context.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE