New Forest fungi picking ban: Forestry Commission vs Forager's Association

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Was out with some of the top Mycologists from Kew Gardens at the weekend. They were very quiet on the subject but did admit that the British Mycological Society had yet to make an official view point on it. The Ban effects them as well as they would have to get special permissions to carry out research.

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
I was Born in the Forest - but now live away. And while the FC may have made a knee jerk decision we do have a problem. And that is the near industrialised collecting of wild resources for the restaurant trade (mostly but not exclusively London) this not confined to Fungi. One of my favourite gone wild Bullus trees in recent years has been stripped by near industrial attacks, pickuP truck, ladders, loppers. I know this from the old farmer on whose land the tree grows.

Given the Forest has always been about medieval rights - when I lived in Lyndhurst I had rights to take fallen wood, turn my pigs out in Autumn etc. But if you didn't live in one of the houses with Commonors rights you didn't. Perhaps time to update

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE