rescuing a cracked kuksa?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cyanoacrylate (superglue) is good. Flood the crack (put a bit of masking tape on one side to stop it running out). Leave to dry, top up if necessary and sand flat. Will work on fine cracks - don't know how bad yours is.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
If it's just a leaking crack try boiling in milk. Lot on here recently about that.

If bigger, I've used epoxy and brass powder. Sands down nicely (eventually) to a gold finish.

Worth a try.

Cheers

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I repaired one of mine with epoxy, first drilled a small hole at the bottom of the crack to help prevent further spliting.

Viktor

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
Another way it to use wood glue.
You first hold the crack "open" a bit and force the glue in to the crack with your nail. then clamp it or hold it close until the glue dried.

Cyanoacrylate (superglue) is good. Flood the crack (put a bit of masking tape on one side to stop it running out). Leave to dry, top up if necessary and sand flat. Will work on fine cracks - don't know how bad yours is.

superglue sounds like an idea- is it suitable for food related items?!

the crack is only visible when i have (hot) liquid in the cup and disappears again when it's empty.... . i guess it might have to to with how the grain of the timber ""runs""---> hot liquid causing stress in the timber...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
superglue sounds like an idea- is it suitable for food related items?!

the crack is only visible when i have (hot) liquid in the cup and disappears again when it's empty.... . i guess it might have to to with how the grain of the timber ""runs""---> hot liquid causing stress in the timber...

Its fine for food use - I've done it myself. It sounds like something is expanding and contracting with heat in an uneven way. The superglue may hold the crack together - but if the stresses are too great any glue can rip away.

Still - there isn't too much to lose!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE