Reptile & Plant ID please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Just back from a holiday in Tuscany. The cat went with us & proved to be good a finding local critters - didn't know what the heck to do next.

First a food plant growing out of a drainage hole in a retaining wall

Caper.jpg

Cats 1st find on our arrival. I am not sue how one that big got in!

Meeting.jpg

This one was very unhappy about being disturbed. Its difficult to take pictures of a moving subject while keeping your distance & holding on to a wriggling cat.

Snake1.jpg

I think I know what everything is, at least generally. If anyone can confirm please

Mike

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
plant could possibly be Eucalyptus regen but not 100% due to photo
lizard could be a Lacerta viridis
European green lizard, but JD would be your man
thats a grass snake natri natrix if my latin has'nt got too rusty, but again JD is your man :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My mental alarms were telling me "not enough black around the neck stripe for a grass snake" so I had a look on your link.

I'm still not completely sure.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Righty-O then...

The lizard is indeed a Green Lizard, more precisely a Western Green Lizard (Lacerta bilineata), please check that as my spelling may be off. L. bilineata occurs, as the name suggests, in more westernly locations compared to its very very close relative L. viridis. It is a male, although some females may also have a blue throat with this species, but the head is far less pronounced and almost tapers without any definition from the neck. It also shows a slight penal bulge.

And yeah, again, the snake is a juvenile Aesculapian (Elaphe longissima). Female, undernourished.

Cool pics. I spent a while in Tuscany surveying for and studying the local Asp population. It was rumoured they had a rare subspecies occurring there, but I couldn't confirm that. Wickedly aggressive little blighters in Italy though.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Righty-O then...

The lizard is indeed a Green Lizard, more precisely a Western Green Lizard (Lacerta bilineata), please check that as my spelling may be off. L. bilineata occurs, as the name suggests, in more westernly locations compared to its very very close relative L. viridis. It is a male, although some females may also have a blue throat with this species, but the head is far less pronounced and almost tapers without any definition from the neck. It also shows a slight penal bulge.

And yeah, again, the snake is a juvenile Aesculapian (Elaphe longissima). Female, undernourished.

Cool pics. I spent a while in Tuscany surveying for and studying the local Asp population. It was rumoured they had a rare subspecies occurring there, but I couldn't confirm that. Wickedly aggressive little blighters in Italy though.

Huzzar! I got one right! Didnt need to look it up either, I remember reading about them as they can be found in some parts of south england along with Wall Lizards. :)

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Nice to have pictures appreciated. How about these from previous years. All taken within the same 5metre radius

WesternWhipsnake.jpg

SlowWorm2.jpg

Quite the biggest I have seen - that's a Land Rover tyre. There are loads of small (Wall) lizards as well. Something is keeping the bigger things fed.

Again I think I know what they are, but not what sex etc.

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE