Reptile Cold Case - Blood Warning -

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Aha! I think I got a bit carried away there. :)

Ive only heard rumoures that they went after them, I didnt know it was true.

Yeah, they are a nightmare in September/October when the young are born. They take adders, grass and smooth snakes and all the lizards.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ouch. Im guessing they mistake them for worms?

They seem to know what they are, they attack the neonate adders by pinning the body and neck and pecking the head to prevent them biting. I guess in their native country that the instinct to do this would be there from the many venomous snakes they have to deal with.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
pretty sure that humans are a worse threat to them, but thats a surprise to me.
i was going to start listing things like phesants, partridges and grouse but he got there first.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
pretty sure that humans are a worse threat to them, but thats a surprise to me.
i was going to start listing things like phesants, partridges and grouse but he got there first.

Humans are the biggest threat as they collect them to sell, kill them on sight or destroy their habitat. Next would be cats, corvids, pheasants. Followed by the mammals and birds of prey. Corvids are the biggest natural killer, including cats.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
They seem to know what they are, they attack the neonate adders by pinning the body and neck and pecking the head to prevent them biting. I guess in their native country that the instinct to do this would be there from the many venomous snakes they have to deal with.

I never new that pheasants did that! I am enjoying these 'cold cases' a lot. Cheers, Jonathan for posting these.

-Emile

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not seen an adder in twenty years Jon - pheasants aplenty though - gaudy dumbasses that they are. I do like watching the males scrap at mating time when they rear up at each other but can take em or leave em to be honest - mind you thers 6,000 of em on this farm and the novelty wears off.

Would like to see an adder again though.....

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Not seen an adder in twenty years Jon - pheasants aplenty though - gaudy dumbasses that they are. I do like watching the males scrap at mating time when they rear up at each other but can take em or leave em to be honest - mind you thers 6,000 of em on this farm and the novelty wears off.

Would like to see an adder again though.....

Red, you are in prime reptile country. In fact, the best in the country. I've worked your area intensively, especially Studland.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I probably make too much noise :)

You couldn't possibly make as much noise as this:

01May2010EmmaCo30.jpg

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Where are you in the UK, Jonathan?

The reason I ask is that I worked from March until September in Dorset many years ago and became fascinated by the Hobbies which were seen hunting regularly in the area. On one or two occassions I witnessed them lifting what I thought was a snake, although too far away to identify, which surprised me as I had read that they were exclusively aerial feeders (and what aerial feeders they are, that can take a swallow on the wing!).

I was also surprised to discover adders in the area, but believe the said prey to be either slow worms or grass snakes.

The Hobby spent minimum time on the ground, however and I can't see them being caught unawares.

A Hobby?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Where are you in the UK, Jonathan?

The reason I ask is that I worked from March until September in Dorset many years ago and became fascinated by the Hobbies which were seen hunting regularly in the area. On one or two occassions I witnessed them lifting what I thought was a snake, although too far away to identify, which surprised me as I had read that they were exclusively aerial feeders (and what aerial feeders they are, that can take a swallow on the wing!).

I was also surprised to discover adders in the area, but believe the said prey to be either slow worms or grass snakes.

The Hobby spent minimum time on the ground, however and I can't see them being caught unawares.

A Hobby?

Hi, I'm on the West Mids, South Staffs, Worcs border. Dorset used to be my old herping grounds and you are lucky enough to have all our six species (plus some foreigners) in your county. Hobbys are known to take slow-worms and juvenile snakes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE