Reporting back from dehydrated heaven!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ive got some of those and will be trying that soon. It is easy and make life lazy as heck out in the woods. !!!

Try them mate, you get to keep your pot clean for brews then

Are you still looking to order a few Mini Bull bits? Let me know when you're ready and I'll get it sorted.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rose Cartwright is writing a book on dehydrated meals and camp food, I've not chased Bob about it for a while though so not sure if it's gone to press yet.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Try them mate, you get to keep your pot clean for brews then

Are you still looking to order a few Mini Bull bits? Let me know when you're ready and I'll get it sorted.

Maybe but the thing is im trying to not buy so much kit atm and sell some of my excess. I need to buy another incubator to expand my hatching to make some money. Ill see mate.

I think if i do order ill order a wicking stove. I dont like the mini atomic and all tat. I made my own and in cold weather it takes too long to prime.
I might just get a imusa pot though.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Rose Cartwright is writing a book on dehydrated meals and camp food, I've not chased Bob about it for a while though so not sure if it's gone to press yet.

Who's that mate? Give us a shout when its published as i would love to have a gander and pick up some tricks and tips. :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Maybe but the thing is im trying to not buy so much kit atm and sell some of my excess. I need to buy another incubator to expand my hatching to make some money. Ill see mate.

I think if i do order ill order a wicking stove. I dont like the mini atomic and all tat. I made my own and in cold weather it takes too long to prime.
I might just get a imusa pot though.

No worries, I get in touch later then, possibly at the end of the month, we'll see.

Who's that mate? Give us a shout when its published as i would love to have a gander and pick up some tricks and tips. :)

Rose is Bob's wife, from backpackinglight.co.uk. Great guys to deal with

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Oh i do love BPL. It has some lovely stuff there. That sounds good as that is when my B-day is to ill have some dosh hopefully. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've be drying food for years but what does worry me is the food value lost in some things like pasta and rice. To be honest I prefer to use dried ingredients in a meal rather than dry out a whole meal if that makes sense.

You don't loose a massive amount of vitamin value in drying vegetables but does anyone know how much overall food value you loose when drying cooked rice and pasta?

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
My mum was worried about that rik. im not too sure though. Maybe somebody more knowledgable will come along and inform us. ! :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't think any calories are lost in the drying process, the nutrients are concentrated as far as I know. I've heard some vitamins are lost but I've no idea which.

Keeping the heat low helps rather than roasting it.

For the TGO we used one of the online calorific value resources, worked out what we need for a decent meal and made up the portions to suit. We had no way of working out if it was right apart from eating them each day, we never lagged so we must have been fairly close. We tried to get a 500g meal to give us around 700cal for a main meal for a 20 mile day. We also had loads of snacks and a porridge/cereal mix breakfast to bring the daily intake up to around 4000

Last edited:

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I've been looking at dehydrators for a while but have resisted until now, I've finally ordered one though so I'll be interested to see what else you come up with

Matt

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have an Excalliber dehydrator and have just done a batch of spicy jerky and 2 whole pineapples - if you have not tried dehy pineapple you have not lived!
Just cut the pineapple into 1cm thick (max) slices and dehydrate until nice and dry/toffee concistency ... mmm!
My Spicy jerky varies every time - this one was marinaded in a mix of tomato paste, soy sauce, worcester sauce, ginger, garlic flakes, black pepper , chili powder, malt vinegar and salt for 12 hours then in the box for as long as it took :)
I too prefer to make meals from dried ingredients rather than dry out whole meals - after all pasta and rice are dried already!
I do a fair bit of fruit leathers for snacks (bananna and strawberry is great!) but Kiwi just goes gritty!

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I have an Excalliber dehydrator and have just done a batch of spicy jerky and 2 whole pineapples - if you have not tried dehy pineapple you have not lived!
Just cut the pineapple into 1cm thick (max) slices and dehydrate until nice and dry/toffee concistency ... mmm!
My Spicy jerky varies every time - this one was marinaded in a mix of tomato paste, soy sauce, worcester sauce, ginger, garlic flakes, black pepper , chili powder, malt vinegar and salt for 12 hours then in the box for as long as it took :)
I too prefer to make meals from dried ingredients rather than dry out whole meals - after all pasta and rice are dried already!
I do a fair bit of fruit leathers for snacks (bananna and strawberry is great!) but Kiwi just goes gritty!

Sounds good John. I did some jerky but I found it a bit spicy. I won't spice t next time too much. I just did pepper and soy sauce and wostershire sauce. I prefer just mixing the meal together for simplicity. :)

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I've been looking at dehydrators for a while but have resisted until now, I've finally ordered one though so I'll be interested to see what else you come up with

Matt
I'm glad I've swayed your balance matt. You'll love eating the meals you love on the trail but not having to kill your UL trend by carting tins of tomato sauce. Lol. Have a good one and report back when you've got it and tried your cost batch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE