Reporting back from dehydrated heaven!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I just went to the went to the woods. I have been dehydrating some BBQ spaghetti recently. I took it to the woods in a ziploc bag. I put the meal into my tin can pot and then poured water just enough to cover it. I then brought the water to the boil and placed it in my pot cosy.
After 15 mins it was done and had a beautiful consistency. I thoroughly enjoyed the meal. And the best part is i can have meal that i like that are more healthy and more delicious than the shop bought ones. And they cost me £10 for 6 meals where as i could get 2 meals for that price in the camping shops. :)
107_0872_zpsf665172e.jpg

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Looks good .....I need to get myself one of those ....what dehydrator did you get and would you recommend it ?

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Looks good .....I need to get myself one of those ....what dehydrator did you get and would you recommend it ?
See the post above you with a link. I would definitely reccomend it. It is super easy and in the long run will save you money.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks good I've been toying with getting one for ages. Not sure about BBQ on spaghetti though!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
About as much as a big lightbulb apparantly. I know that ours makes no significant difference to the electricity bill :) 250W or thereabouts.

cheers,
Toddy

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
About as much as a big lightbulb apparantly. I know that ours makes no significant difference to the electricity bill :) 250W or thereabouts.

cheers,
Toddy

Interesting. I've read some of the Westfalia threads on here. and know how popular they are. I'm leaning toward buying one.
[I also know how fast Amazon put their prices back up!]

[Good Find Outdoordude. :You_Rock_]

Right, Ive just ordered one.

Does anyone else have a long term supply of food they have dehydrated themselves?
I'd like to get a years supply of food stashed. [I have no idea why really either!]
My bro was over the other day, as I was sorting some kit out, and he laughed at the amount and called me a doomsday prepper...

If you wanted to keep your food long term, would you have to vaccum seal it or something?
If so is there a cheap alternative to those kilner jars? Like plastic bags?
Or would allthe dehydrated food [fruit, meat, veg] be fine to store long term in normal cheap supermarket ziplock bags?

Anyone...? :)

Ta.

**Never mind. Just found this thread, mentioning 'seal a meal' bags

Last edited:

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
This one has been at that price for ages. Its not sold by amazon. :) It probably is expensive because of the temp control. It is a good one though.
You should really get one. it will save you money in the long run. If you want another testimonial. decorums got one. !

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Easy isn't it Jacob

I prefer rehydrating in the Pour & Store bags so my pot stays clean. The bags are washable and reusable too so you get good mileage with them.

http://www.polylina.co.uk/pour&store.html

Morrisons sell them for £1 for 8 bags in a box, Asda do a similar one too in their own brand but I've not tried them yet.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Easy isn't it Jacob

I prefer rehydrating in the Pour & Store bags so my pot stays clean. The bags are washable and reusable too so you get good mileage with them.

http://www.polylina.co.uk/pour&store.html

Morrisons sell them for £1 for 8 bags in a box, Asda do a similar one too in their own brand but I've not tried them yet.

Ive got some of those and will be trying that soon. It is easy and make life lazy as heck out in the woods. !!!

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Interesting. I've read some of the Westfalia threads on here. and know how popular they are. I'm leaning toward buying one.
[I also know how fast Amazon put their prices back up!]

[Good Find Outdoordude. :You_Rock_]

Right, Ive just ordered one.

Does anyone else have a long term supply of food they have dehydrated themselves?
I'd like to get a years supply of food stashed. [I have no idea why really either!]
My bro was over the other day, as I was sorting some kit out, and he laughed at the amount and called me a doomsday prepper...

If you wanted to keep your food long term, would you have to vaccum seal it or something?
If so is there a cheap alternative to those kilner jars? Like plastic bags? Or would all food be fine to store long term in normal cheap supermarket ziplock bags?

Anyone...? :)

Ta.
In a ziploc bag it will last about 6 months, Vacuum packed 12 months and vacuum packed and in the freezer 18 months.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE